Gransnet forums

AIBU

Next door neighbour pushing my fence panel over

(109 Posts)
blondenana Sat 04-May-19 12:38:46

My neighbour who i have lived next door to for 34 years is suddenly being very nasty, i have 2 large fence panels propped up at the top of my garden, cant fasten them to anything so propped up with wooden poles
The reason i did this was to stop my cats getting into their garden, as my now deceased Siamese once went over and got shouted at,so bought some panels off someone to try to stop this
All this nastiness started in October when i had a large fur tree cut down, [not all the way] as they said it was cutting their sunlight off,
However, when the man had finished my neighbour had a go at him for not cutting all their side off, although the highest branches were cut off,he would have probably had to go into their garden to do it,
As far as i knew he would cut all the way round, but apparently they only cut the top and the side of the persons who wanted it cut,so then she rang me and asked why i hadnt had their side cut too, i explained i i didnt know it wouldnt be, she said "its your bloody tree tell him to do it" of course it would have cost me an extra possibly £50 or more, so i told her if she wanted her side chopping she was welcome to do it, but i wasnt paying extra, so now this
I cant believe they are being so petty, i still have 3 cats who don;t venture out of my garden as they were house cats for a long time so don;t want to go away,they are all 10 years old
I have looked after their house when they have gone on holiday and done errands etc,they are both in their 80s now
I dont think i am being unreasonable in putting this fence panel back up every time it gets pushed down, it is not touching anything of theirs,as the fence originally between the houses is just wire and the posts are concrete, which is why i cant nail it up
All this was for their benefit originally
The houses are not private by the way but Housing association [sorry its so long]

blondenana Wed 08-May-19 14:19:24

Alexa smile flowers

M0nica Thu 09-May-19 14:01:36

Blondenana I shall not ask where you live, but a dear friend moved to a town like that. In ten years she did not make one friend despite being the kind of person who dropped into a desert would have 10 friends and a good party going in 24 hours. She joined and volunteered for a range of groups but was always marginalised.

She was talking to a local man, who was doing some decorating for her about this and he agreed. He said his wife came from a town 20 miles away and even though they had been married 10 years all her friends were in her home town, she had made no friends in the town she now lived. They were now moving elsewhere

My friend could not afford to move as she had sold up in the south to move to this town as it was the only place she could afford a house after being made redundant into early retirement.

She died of cancer in her mid 60s, brought on I am convinced by loneliness and unhappiness. The funeral was held in the local church. Everyone there was from the area she previously lived in, although almost all had travelled 200 miles to be there.

blondenana Thu 09-May-19 16:56:29

MOnica it sounds very much like where i live, all the towns on this coast are very much the same,
It doesnt really bother me, but i am not like that,and its strange but when people do talk to me i get theitr life stories,usually when i am on a bus, but usually they are not from here either
I can make friends with anyone,my 2 youngest sons were born here, but obviously went to school here too, so have lots of friends
I dont let it get me down, as i have my family ,but i do understand why your friend felt isolated, cant understand it
I was speaking to someone from the london area recently and he said he was in a queue in Morrisons with his wife and on hearing his accent someone said, we dont like southerners here,how rude was that
Also a young girl was looking for a flat,only 2 weeks ago, she came from Sheffield i think for work,and the owner of a flat she looked at said i dont let to foreigners, she was very upset, i got a similiar response when i first moved to this town looking for somewhere,i was told not to bother as i wouldnt get anywhere private,

blondenana Thu 09-May-19 18:26:31

Also speaking to a policeman friend of my son, he said this town is riddled with paedophiles and drugs
I know there are a lot of drugs about everywhere these days, and i know of at 3 least paedos in the next 2 streets to me and one in my street, but all in prison of course now,where they should be

Summerlove Sun 12-May-19 15:06:15

Personally, I think you were very kind to chop your tree because they wanted more light. They should be grateful, not complaining that you didn’t do it to their standards.

blondenana Mon 13-May-19 11:41:01

Summerlove sorry just seen your post,thank you, i think i have got some not very nice replies when i have exlained the situation several times, and things were fine before i had the b----y tree chopped, lol
I think they both might not be very well, , but i cant do anything else
I am willing to let them come and see the tree on my side if they wish

Summerlove Mon 13-May-19 15:56:53

blondenana you’re welcome.

I just cannot understand even asking my neighbor to chop down their tree because it is affecting the light in my yard. That’s part of having neighbours. Now, If the tree were perilously close to their roof or otherwise impeding a structure, that of course is different. What’s next, complaining they don’t like your flowers?

I think at this point you are right to just step back and let them shout at the wind.

blondenana Tue 14-May-19 23:08:13

Thank you,I flowers didnt mind at all that they mentioned the tree cutting the sun out of their garden,it wouldnt affect the light in their house,they didnt ask me to cut it down, but obviously when they mentioned it i hadnt realised ,so when the birds had stopped nesting i made enquiries about have the height reduced, but i didnt realise that the man wouldnt cut it all round,if you see what i mean, as far as my light out it was just the tree was growing outwards, across my window, so yes i had some of that cut off,it was the only part that bothered me,the height didnt because of the position the sun was in that didnt affect me
Anyway i hadnt seen them for a few days,but my daughter called to give me lift into town this morning, and they were both in their fron garden, which i couldnt see as my living room is at the back of the house where the tree is,when they saw my daughter they went in she said, and were not outside when i went out
I rarely see them really because of the way the living rooms are, not looking out on to the road,it is very enclosed and lots of trees and high hedges, so you cant really see your neighbours unless you are both out at the same time in the front garden, cant see anyone when in the back garden,so unlikely to be out at the same time
They ould normally say hello to my daughter ,but ignored her, so i am not going to bother about it now