Gransnet forums

AIBU

Trying on shoes

(34 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 18:13:25

Without socks on.
I was in Tkmax this afternoon.
I was a little cross because I had quite thick socks on and I came across a pair of red ballet style shoes. I’ve been looking for a pair since my old ones gave up the ghost.
I squeezed my feet in and convinced myself that without the socks they would be just right.
I was so surprised to see that no one else seemed to be bothering with socks.
Is it me?

MiniMoon Tue 07-May-19 18:29:24

Ooh yuck. If I'm going out on purpose to look for shoes, I pop a clean pair of pop socks into my handbag. I wouldn't like to try on shoes that bare feet had tried on before me. Veruccas, athletes foot to mention two foot complaints that I wouldn't want to catch.

Calendargirl Tue 07-May-19 18:48:51

Yes, I certainly think socks should be worn when trying on new shoes. However, I feel sure online shoe purchases might leave a bit to be desired, as no one can check that.

glammanana Tue 07-May-19 18:52:14

Same here MiniMoon always have a pair with me if going to buy new shoes the thought would never enter my head to try on without pop socks.
Many years ago when shopping in a very posh shop in Monaco I enquired about a pair of shoes on display and the young man brought the shoes for me to try and proceeded to roll on a pair of brand new stockings (knee length) up my legs to get the right effect the shoes would have when on my feet,I bought the shoes although rather expensive and dined on the story at a good few dinner parties after.

DanniRae Tue 07-May-19 19:05:48

Oh dear I tried on some sandals in M and S today and never gave it a thought about trying them on with bare feet. And to honest if I go back next week I will do the same!

Cabbie21 Tue 07-May-19 19:15:54

When I go to shoe shops they provide pop socks, even at Boundary Mills.

EllanVannin Tue 07-May-19 19:16:34

Do any of you go to the baths btw ? Treading where others have trodden ?

BlueBelle Tue 07-May-19 19:23:28

DanniRae don’t worry it doesn’t enter my head either It’s only a moment I doubt if the shoe is teeming with awful infections in the 30 secs they are on my feet
I also walk barefoot on the prom in the summer where people walk and dogs and kids run
I walk around the edge of the swimming pool without socks on
Never caught anything so consequently never passed anything on

Slowcookervegan Tue 07-May-19 20:32:39

Can i ask, when you have brought the shoes, do you take them home and clean the insides before wearing?

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 21:22:45

Maybe I will from now on?
It’s just never occurred to me that people would do that.
Like eating in the street it seems not quite right.

Deedaa Tue 07-May-19 21:41:28

My mother was always very strict about not trying on shoes with bare feet. I was very shocked several years ago when there was a programme about personal shoppers. A lady was shown into a private room in one of the big West End stores and a rail of clothes was brought in for her. That was fine, but then the personal shopper started bringing her boots to try on. She had bare feet and presumably previous customers would have had bare feet. I just felt that if I was thinking of spending several hundred pounds on a pair of boots I would rather not have had someone else's possibly dirty feet in them.

annep1 Tue 07-May-19 22:01:05

One shop I go to insists on giving you try-on nylon thingies.
In other shops I will try shoes with feet covered but not sandals. I suppose though that it is risky and we shouldn't.

ninathenana Wed 08-May-19 06:46:52

I remember the shoe shop in our small town insisted you put on one of the pop socks provided if you had bare feet before trying on shoes.
I wonder how often they got washed !

Oldandverygrey Wed 08-May-19 07:08:15

I take a pair of pop socks along as well, I once witnessed a lady trying on a pair of shoes, when I glanced at her feet they were covered in sores with a couple of plasters clinging on for life - the shop assistant looked aghast - so did I.

Gma29 Wed 08-May-19 09:30:32

I know JL have a box of disposable pop socks for trying on shoes, but I have seen people trying on the display shoes without using them. I would prefer they did, but am not overly bothered. Although in the situation witnessed by Oldandverygrey I would have been horrified.

Paperbackwriter Wed 08-May-19 09:49:05

I saw a thread on Facebook where someone was horrified that clothes bought online and then returned were then re-sold to other customers. I thought, well what do they think happens when they try stuff on in a shop? That the items are then thrown away? I think we need not to be too frantic about germs, our own or other people's. If we've got to the age of being grandparents, then we've done OK, bug-wise!

Aepgirl Wed 08-May-19 09:56:41

I always carry a pair of 'stocking socks' with me in my bag just in case I find a pair of shoes I would like to try on (most time I go shopping!). I hate it when people try shoes on with their bare feet - just plain rude.

4allweknow Wed 08-May-19 10:17:11

Would never think of trying on shoes without a pop sock. The shops I visit for shoes give you these (new pair every time).

Twiggy1959 Wed 08-May-19 10:18:47

I work in retail and the shoes are tried on and stolen and have the cheek to leave their grotty shoes behind and same goes for clothes they leave their clothes on the rail for us to find...the worst thing is customers can even bring back knickers!!

Annaram1 Wed 08-May-19 11:20:51

When the Queen gets a pair of new shoes she has a lady with the same size feet wear them for a few days, so that they are nice and comfy when they eventually get to HM.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 08-May-19 11:27:23

Here in Denmark all shoe shops have nylon socks for customers to borrow to try on shoes . These are throw out after use and I have seen the same system in Germany, Holland and France, so it surprises me to learn the British shops don't provide the same service.

I would never try shoes on without stockings on and I always wear bath sandals at the swimming baths both in the showers and when walking down to the bath.

It surprises me to learn that everyone doesn't do this.

Surely you wear underpants when trying on slacks or swimsuits?

Pippa22 Wed 08-May-19 11:38:30

Cabbie21,
is Boundary Mills a shop ?

Annaram1 Wed 08-May-19 11:52:21

If I buy new shoes I am always given a new pair of pop socks to wear. I assume the price is factored in to the shoe price. However have bought pretty shoes in charity shops and you don't get offered socks. I take my own, and if I buy the shoes I always run a Dettol cloth around them once I am home. Since reading about the Queen using what in effect are second hand shoes, I don't mind buying pretty second hand shoes, as these can be very expensive new.

Craftycat Wed 08-May-19 12:26:12

Our local shoe shop provides little sock things.
I must admit to having tried sandals with toe posts on without socks as you can't get them on otherwise.
I wish I had a nice lady to break my shoes in for me!!

floorflock Wed 08-May-19 13:53:25

You will never find me without a pair of 'foot socks' in my handbag, (just in case I see shoes that I want - which is rare) as I too hate the thought of other people trying shoes on without socks or nylons of some sort.
I won't use swimming baths under any circumstances even though I am a reasonable swimmer as I know that some people only go there for a wash - after their swim. Disgusting.