Gransnet forums

AIBU

Trying on shoes

(35 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 18:13:25

Without socks on.
I was in Tkmax this afternoon.
I was a little cross because I had quite thick socks on and I came across a pair of red ballet style shoes. I’ve been looking for a pair since my old ones gave up the ghost.
I squeezed my feet in and convinced myself that without the socks they would be just right.
I was so surprised to see that no one else seemed to be bothering with socks.
Is it me?

Tedber Wed 08-May-19 15:56:58

Hahaha really? floorflock grin... I don't know anybody that would go to the swimming baths just for a wash - costs too much in my area for starters!

As for socks v bare feet.... personally I don't like trying shoes on without mainly because I like to get the feel of what they will be either with tights or thick socks (so choose accordingly). Sandals? Can't remember if I have or haven't but can see what you are getting at.

Riggie Wed 08-May-19 20:38:20

I like to try shows on with the tights or socks that I would wear with them

Missiseff Wed 08-May-19 21:44:11

Eating in the street??? What's wrong with that??

BradfordLass72 Thu 09-May-19 06:15:08

Every shoe shop here provides socks or knee-highs for customers to use when tryinh on footwear.

PamelaJ1 Thu 09-May-19 06:28:58

Missiseff- not sure but it’s in my DNA somewhere! Fish and chips at the sea side or ice creams were OK.
We could get into a discussion about how unthinking eating is not good for weight management but that’s a different subject.

sluttygran Thu 09-May-19 13:15:45

Trying on shoes has never worried me overmuch, tho’ I always use pop sox in the interests of hygiene.
I have to say, tho, that the foot hygiene of the public at large leaves a lot to be desired.
I used to be in charge of a small minor injuries clinic, and naturally saw lots of sprained ankles, sore toes and what have you in the course of each day.
I was astounded at the generally grotty state of people’s feet - long black toenails, smelly, filthy socks, horribly crusty heels with ingrained dirt - I’m not talking about the general grubbiness you might pick up in a day or two, but real neglect.
I’m sure though, that not a single G’netter would set out of their door without sweet and fragrant tootsies!

JackyB Thu 09-May-19 13:22:37

Actually, I never wash my feet. I shower every day and find it hard to stand on one leg in a soapy environment. But the lady who does my pedicure has never complained......

But as for shoe shops -here even the cheap shops provide pop sox to put on when trying on shoes. I'm not sure everyone uses them, though. And sometimes it's not easy to tell which box contains the clean sox and which is for the dirty ones!

JackyB Thu 09-May-19 13:28:30

Tedber - I don't know if it's the same in the UK but here in Germany some university towns are so poorly equipped with accommodation for the students that they often have t live in bedsits with just a washbasin and they go to the swimming pool once a week for a proper wash and shower.

Cabbie21 Thu 09-May-19 13:36:06

Pippa22 sorry for late reply.
Boundary Mills is an out of town store which sells branded clothes, shoes etc cheaply, including Hotter, Pavers, Hush Puppies, Timberland. They provide pop socks.
There are a few around the country, at Colne, Grantham,etc.