Gransnet forums

AIBU

Son about to get married in St Lucia, wish I was with him.

(62 Posts)
Happygran1964 Wed 08-May-19 16:40:27

Just the above really, my youngest and his fiancée will be tying the knot in an hour’s time in the sunny Caribbean and we are all here in rainy Bristol lol.
Just wishing we were there for his special day.

Jennyluck Thu 09-May-19 23:00:24

I fell out with my son 3 years ago over his wedding, which was abroad. He banned me from his wedding and I haven’t seen him since. It was the usual problem of his partners mother being included and me on the sidelines.
I feel if only they had gone off on their own and got married, we’d still be friends. ?

Elrel Thu 09-May-19 23:24:19

DD and SiL had a Caribbean wedding, just the two of them. Both of us mothers were perfectly happy about it and were given champagne to drink at the appropriate time.
They were welcomed back home with flowers and a special cake and have now had their Silver Wedding.

Namsnanny Fri 10-May-19 00:58:05

I cant really see the point in 'celebrating' when the couple come back home.
If they wanted a family celebration, isn't that normally called a wedding?

Just my pov.

BlueBelle Fri 10-May-19 06:16:40

Glad you had a Skype Happygran and can see the happy side of it What a silly mother the mother in law must me to spoil things for the girl silly moo
Bihou your grandson who is getting married in Bali will have a lovely wedding my son married there We (myself and his two sisters) were invited out for a holiday to incorporate the wedding but it was a lovely ceremony and not tacky at all

Harris27 Fri 10-May-19 07:44:06

Well done happygran1964 you did well I would of done the same but felt like you head held high well done!

JohnD Fri 10-May-19 09:21:42

My neice moved to America and got married there. Unfortunately none of the family could go but we were able to watch the ceremony on You Tube and Skype. We did feel a part of it.

Happygran1964 Fri 10-May-19 11:21:36

Thank you everyone for your kindness and support, it helped a lot.
I’m looking forward to seeing them when they get home. X

Summerlove Fri 10-May-19 19:30:36

I think it’s totally reasonable to be disappointed, but I’m so glad he stood back and respect their wishes.

On the topic I have it’s selfish to elope just a couple, my parents actually tried to convince my husband and I to elope. Lol So I think that’s very much I had to each their own opinion.

Can you imagine eloping with your parents to a faraway location and then having to share your honeymoon with them?

Summerlove Fri 10-May-19 19:44:06

so glad *you stood back. Gosh, autocorrect is silly.

As an aside, My own mother eloped with her husband her best friend and her husband. None of her children or her husband’s children were invited. I was disappointed, but told her to have the absolute best day, and if she woke up that morning and decided she wanted me there I would be there.

Otherwise I sat home and waited for photos. She has no regrets about how her day went, and that’s the best I could ask for for a loved one.

crazyH Sat 11-May-19 00:19:18

So sorry Jennyluck...
Not my place to ask, but whatever caused you to fall ou, how could he ban you from the wedding. Did you fall out over the wedding plans? From my experience, the m.i.ls of both my boys organised everything. TBH I couldn't organise anything even if I tried. I just gave a small contribution and that was it. I went to the wedding just like any other guest, except that I did get to sit at the top table.

Namsnanny Sun 12-May-19 14:33:00

Jennyluck...I feel for you flowers