Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is it me?

(93 Posts)
Atqui Fri 10-May-19 14:11:34

I’m seeking reassurance that I’m normal! If you walked into a room in the evening where your partner was just pottering ( not reading or concentrating)! and you said “ I’m going up to have a bath now”, wouldn't you expect a response such as “0k see you soon”? Mine ignored me so I repeated what I said twice. I was told ( when I asked why) that it was a statement and didn’t need a response.
Is it me?

Beammeupscottie Wed 15-May-19 10:19:47

Hilarious, midgey!

Cabbie22. The response "well, what do you expect me to do about it" will ring many bells with wives. God give us strength.

midgey Wed 15-May-19 08:45:07

Beammeupscottie...YES that is exactly what happens in this house! My DH seems to have given up speech altogether, except that now he talks in his bloody sleep. confused

M0nica Wed 15-May-19 08:39:24

Cabbie21 recognise that as well. I will simply just tell him something, you know, ordinary family chit chat. 'I meant to ring Andy today, but forgot' DH: 'Well there is nothing I can do about it'.

I didn't think there was. Mind you a littlewhile later he will say 'Did you ring Andy today?'

Cabbie21 Tue 14-May-19 23:21:44

Just been chuckling at this thread which rings so many bells. Today I sent three texts to DH and got no reply. Just talked to him about it and the answer was that there was nothing to reply to, so why did I bother texting? There was nothing he could do. So it seems he only expects to be communicated with if I want him to do something.

Beammeupscottie Tue 14-May-19 22:06:34

My DH answers me in his mind. This trick is quite common with partners of either sex, I believe. They swear blind they have answered you BUT DO NOT OPEN THEIR MOUTHS TO SPEAK. You feel you are going mad; as if you are invisible. On these occasions he come near to death.

Sara65 Tue 14-May-19 21:50:21

Edithb
I also hate the phrase, we can do!
I find myself screaming, I know we bloody can do, but do you want to?
He looks at me like I’m deranged, and says, yes he’s already said, we can do!

FarNorth Tue 14-May-19 21:48:43

Great stuff! smile

janeainsworth Tue 14-May-19 21:42:05

I asked an intelligent question about the stern spring trick, Farnorth.
He was suitably impressed and I picked up a few Brownie points grin

FarNorth Tue 14-May-19 20:51:35

Aha, jane, clearly MrA had his mind on a more inspiring topic.
He may, even now, be posting somewhere about his wife's puzzling insistence on sticking to the mundane. grin

janeainsworth Tue 14-May-19 18:23:59

Just had a good one MOnica.

Me: Would you like some fruit?
MrA: I could have tried the stern spring trick. That would have swung the bow out.
Me: (moving towards fruit bowl) Would you like some fruit?
MrA: I did well, though, didn’t I? Getting the boat out in that space?
?‍♀️??

M0nica Tue 14-May-19 08:38:10

janeainsworth Oh, I so recognise this one.

GrandmainOz Tue 14-May-19 03:03:40

I think my DH actually compiled the exams for the buggerance qualifications ?

janeainsworth Tue 14-May-19 01:19:41

A slight variation on the theme is Answering A Different Question From The One Which Has Been Asked.
As in,
Me: would you like burnt rice for dinner or shall I cook some more?
Mr A: well, we need some carbohydrate....
confusedhmm

Avor2 Mon 13-May-19 16:44:29

Mine is the same!?!? he just doesn't listen in the first place. You are not alone smile

Bathsheba Mon 13-May-19 09:17:32

I get the "we can do" response too, but that doesn't irritate me as much as "if you like". No, it's not if I like - I'm asking because I need to know if you like!

FarNorth Sun 12-May-19 10:18:33

Shall we have chicken for dinner, answer why not. (because we don't bloody well have a chicken could be my answer back)

I'm with the DH there - why suggest it if it's going to be a problem?

Grandad1943 Sun 12-May-19 10:01:44

Without a doubt, there are many Husbands/Male Partners that feel they have wives that often lack response when spoken too. That lack of response is often a feature of human nature that is not entirely confined to the male gender.

Lack of spoken response is also not confined to a home environment, as when such lack of reaction occurs in a workplace where machinery and vehicles can be in operation the results can be catastrophic for persons involved in that environment.

Therefore it is essential for people to ensure that in important situations that the person(s) they have spoken to are aware of what has been said, and make a habit of that.

In short, if my wife was reading and I said I was going up for a shower and she did not respond I would say "okay" which inevitably brings a responding "okay" or (as usual) "I did not realise it was that time of the year again already."grin

However, if I were off to the DIY Centre in the car, I would ensure that she was fully aware of what I was about to do for obvious reasons.

Lilyflower Sun 12-May-19 06:45:43

In our relationship I am the quiet one. Sometimes I have thought my DH likes to talk too much but, having read this thread, I am now grateful he does. He listens to me too so I think I am very lucky.

Surely ignoring someone deliberately is emotionally abusive? And as for the control freak who lifts one leg at a time when his DP is Hoovering! She should make him do the Hoovering.

Apricity Sun 12-May-19 00:31:20

Once in sheer frustration I said to my ex (surprise, surprise!!) "If I didn't come home for a week you wouldn't notice." to which he blandly replied that he would have just thought I had told him I was going somewhere and he'd forgotten. Men!!!

Diggingdoris Sat 11-May-19 23:23:24

Nice to know I'm not alone, as my DH does all of the above!
Drives me crackers!

pollyolly Sat 11-May-19 21:10:47

Mine's an engineer too!

ruthiek Sat 11-May-19 21:05:48

My husband gets home before me ,as I walk in he doesn’t look up as he is watching the Chase, at the end of it , he comes into the kitchen then to say hello , drives me mad ?

janeainsworth Sat 11-May-19 21:00:06

john it would be better to start your own thread if you want to broaden the discussion.
It would be interesting to see what replies you elicited.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 11-May-19 20:59:51

I must admit when its something I feel is important, like I am arranging a time a place to meet when we go to different shops whilst out shopping. I say where and when and then ask him to repeat what I have just said. He does laugh when I do this and says this is so you know I am listening isn't it? Yes and lets check we are both in the same time zone.

JohnD Sat 11-May-19 19:45:43

Is it only men that have faults? Are women always SO perfect?