Gransnet forums

AIBU

I had just started to like Olives! poor birds.

(10 Posts)
Lisalou Fri 17-May-19 20:55:01

This year, the practice has been stopped by the Andalusian government in Spain, where an estimated 2.6 million birds used to be vacuumed up annually
So, Spanish Olives are ok.
M0nica, not to burst your bubble, but be careful with rapeseed oil; from what I understand, it is not as healthy as one might be led to believe. See this article www.smartholistics.co.uk/news-blog/the-dark-side-of-rapeseed-oil/

M0nica Thu 16-May-19 20:16:59

I have never liked them and use rapeseed oil, rather than olive oil, and have done for quite sometime. Thank goodness!

suzied Thu 16-May-19 17:52:17

It should read "a ban on", not abandoned.

suzied Thu 16-May-19 17:51:38

Chris Packham has started a charity called Wild Justice, which campaigns to protect wildlife. He recently got abandoned on shooting crows and magpies and some pleasant people hung dead crows on his gate.

notentirelyallhere Thu 16-May-19 16:09:12

Horrifying, but thanks for posting bikergran. This follows on from those reports of developers and councils netting hedges and buildings in the UK. So upsetting carelessly seeing the natural world as a nuisance. We need to protest in whatever way we can, boycotting, campaigns etc. I wonder if the RSPB have anything to say on this?

allassinsane Thu 16-May-19 14:11:16

hope

allassinsane Thu 16-May-19 14:10:08

Horrid. Love olives, so will definitely be choosy about where they come from. I presume Greek olives are ok. That's what I usually buy so hope hopefully will be able to continue to eat with a clear conscience. Thanks for the article.

annodomini Thu 16-May-19 14:06:09

Greek olives for me from now on - anyway, they're better!

Dinahmo Thu 16-May-19 13:07:37

That's absolutely appalling. I had a Saul on the road to Damascus conversion to olives many years ago whilst on holiday in Italy. I'll stop buying Spanish and Portuguese olives now,

bikergran Thu 16-May-19 09:05:22

uk.yahoo.com/news/millions-birds-sucked-trees-killed-vacuum-olive-harvests-192517480.html