Gransnet forums

AIBU

cots

(29 Posts)
love0c Fri 17-May-19 09:24:46

We bought our son a cot for our grandson. They chose it and we just gave them the money. Our granson is now 18 months old. They have since had another baby who is now 3 months old. They have bought another cot, this time a second hand one and are using it for the 18 month old instead of the one we bought. My son said they might as well use it as they have bought it. They do not intend putting the 3 month old in the cot for another 4/5 months. Why stop using our cot before it is needed? Our DIL does not like us and cuts us out of most things. We feel this is why. Purely to hurt us.

Feelingmyage55 Sun 19-May-19 15:44:26

Please consider the difference between ‘being offended’ and ‘taking offence’. The young family is clearly going to use the new cot and may keeping it is best possible condition if the toddler plays in it and may chew it or bash his toys around so they have moved him. They are both using and looking after the gift. Two small children close together is hard work. Support them with the best and easiest gift - praise and loving words.

Bridgeit Sun 19-May-19 16:13:43

A gift is given, usually with love & affection, once it is given it is for the receiver to do as they please.
Life is too short to get stewed up about it.
Enjoy & be happy with time spent with your family imo that is what is important , best wishes

Starlady Mon 20-May-19 04:36:05

I'm glad this thread is helping. loveOc. I admit, I'm not crazy about the idea of using a second-hand cot, unless it is was only recently used and meets all the latest safety standards. But that's not the issue here, I know.

I agree w/ others that this change was probably made for practical reasons. And they're going to use it for their 2nd baby, love, and that's your GC, too, love. So please don't take it as a personal offense.

I take it there are other issues between you and DIL and that's why you are "feeling vulnerable." But I don't think those issues apply here. In fact, I think it's kind of a compliment that DS and DIL like the crib you bought so much that they are going, in the end, to have used it for 2 babies. Please try to enjoy knowing that.