Gransnet forums

AIBU

GP to be investigated by the GMC

(167 Posts)
TerriBull Sat 25-May-19 07:36:19

Is it not madness for the GMC to investigate a well respected GP, following a complaint from a female Muslim patient. The patient had brought her young child to the surgery with a sore throat, the doctor respectfully asked her to remove her veil as her voice was muffled underneath it and he couldn't fully understand what she was saying? This doctor may now resign rather than undergo such an investigation, can the NHS afford to lose a good GP when we have such a dire shortage anyway?

BlueBelle Sat 25-May-19 11:17:47

I totally agree it’s been done to whip up a storm and another stick to beat a Muslim with
To liken a veil to a crash helmet is utterly ridiculous
It should never have happened and the doctor needs training in more than medicine

EllanVannin Sat 25-May-19 11:45:27

Why were hoodies and balaclava's banned ?

sodapop Sat 25-May-19 13:05:20

Maryeliza I was actually referring to the husband but don't think I made that clear.

I thought the veil was a cultural thing and not a religious requirement.

janeainsworth Sat 25-May-19 14:01:07

We know nothing about what happened at the consultation so cannot judge.
But even if the GMC find ‘no case to answer’ with regard to the doctor’s behaviour at the time, I hope they will have something to say about his conduct subsequently, ie talking to the press.

TerriBull Sat 25-May-19 14:02:17

I wasn't trying to make this an issue about race, more about the cultural aspect. In some respects there can be an incongruity about certain cultures and customs that are at odds with the laws and social parameters of the country where people live. In many respects the adherents to certain beliefs are the very people who are put at a disadvantage by an extreme interpretation of what is often adopted on their behalf. Jehovah's Witnesses for example, a religion that espouses an ethos which makes little sense, their followers are the ones who will suffer the most when a loved one dies because they aren't allowed to have a blood transfusion.

It appears that some of what would be deemed the most liberal countries such as Denmark are now saying that the onus should be on other cultures to adapt to where they live otherwise it's an impediment to social cohesion and some communities will be destined to live completely separate and quite often disadvantaged lives. In fact is that not part of the argument with LGBT syllabus that all schools are expected to adopt, that the teaching profession should not be impeded in their efforts in rolling this out nationally for the greater good of society as a whole. In the same way, possibly the GP in question also saw the veil as an impediment to making a proper diagnosis.

As I said upthread Jack Straw did ask Muslim women to remove their veil when he saw them at his surgery and I think at the time his point was, that it was a barrier to conversation.

I'm not suggesting we should go down the French road and have an out and out ban that route does seem somewhat draconian. Nevertheless to me they are a symbol of extreme patriarchal oppression, and I have heard emancipated Muslim women themselves say acceptance of such customs doesn't do them any favours.

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 14:24:06

Best case scenario: he is not very bright. There are always chaperones available, especially at out of hours clinics.

But thats the best case scenario

And as another poster said, saying you cant hear through a veil does not add up.

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 14:29:25

Now, socially I see veils are oppressive. They are SOCIAL not religous IMO.

But it is never okay to push that poing on what individual women do, either its their choice and we shouldnt tell women and girls what to wear, or they are from an ultra conservative household in which case if a medic puts them on the spot and they take off their veil then they may be subject to later domestic violence as a result.

What you feel about veils in general should NEVER be manifested as putting pressure on individual women and girls to remove theirs. That makes you as bad as people who would force women and girls to wear them!

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 14:32:15

I honestly dont believe that that Dr wouldnt have been aware that women who wear veils do so so that non relative males dont see their face. And that that would have applied to him too.

"Couldnt hear her" - nah! Was it a perspex veil?

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 14:37:43

He used his position of authority to make an individual woman do something that would cause her discomfort for no medically justifiable reason. "Couldnt hear" doesnt hold water, at all.

Says a lot about what he thinks about women, not just muslim women. He should care about not making his patients feel unnecessarily vulnerable/exposed/undignified. But he doesnt does he?

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 14:43:32

Some womem and girls will delay seeking medical treatment if they fear being unnessisarily de-veiled.

That his response is not to acknowledge the distress he caused and why he shouldnt have asked then to do it in a room alone with a non family male kind of tells me this complaint should progress. Usually these kinds of complaints dont go any further if that happens.

I am ideologically opposed to women being veiled but that should never, ever result in targetting individual women to make my point...

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 14:50:33

A GP should have the communication skills to work around an accent they struggle with without blaming the veil. Use closed questions. Or use language-line to do the consultation through their first language.

You wouldnt ask a white english non muslim to strip off if they were mumbling, you would work around it!

sylwright Sat 25-May-19 15:02:29

Personally I think people should dress according to the society they live in. When I was in Dubai I had to cover my legs, my husband was even told off by a tour guide as he had long shorts on. When in Rome....

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 15:05:16

The husband apparently complained to the hospital and they decided to refer the doctor. This case is being whipped up and we all know why

Do we? If the hospital pulled him in and he listened and admitted he did wrong... there is no way the hospital would want the bad PR of referring on to GMC. They would have sent him on diversity updates and issued an apology.

However, if they pulled him in and he responded with indignation and rants, THAT would warrent enough concern to refer to GMC...

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 15:09:15

So slywrite you think in Britain we should adopt a compulsary dress code for women? And what would that be?

You cant tell people to follow our dress standards withouy being clear about exactly what those standards are?

Does it apply to catholic nuns? Brides? Orthodox jews? Goths?

You cant say "when in rome" unless you are willing to state specific standards that need to be universally adhered to.

As I have said, I am ideologically opposed to women being veiled, but to impose being NON veiled is just as bad

Beckett Sat 25-May-19 15:15:09

Wow - a lot of speculation on what the doctor may have been thinking or may have done. It seems some people have found him guilty before any investigation is complete.

We don't know exactly what was said in the room at the time - did he just say she should take off the veil or did he ask her if she would mind removing or lifting her veil.

The wearing of a veil is not a religious requirement it is a cultural one - just as women not being allowed to be alone in the presence of a non related male is. It seems the husband was prepared to overlook that custom.

maryeliza54 Sat 25-May-19 15:23:17

Terri you keep shifting the ground on which you are arguing. You’ve used an example which has been appallingly misreported and is now whipped up by racists with the most appalling comments on the petition website. There seems to be no evidence that in general there is an issue in the NHS with veil wearing mothers taking their dc to the doctors. If you want a discussion about veil wearing then that should be separate from this particular issue of which the unbiased facts seem in short supply. The more I read about this doctor the more I wonder about his back story and what else is going on with him.

maryeliza54 Sat 25-May-19 15:27:48

Oh the irony in your post Beckett. The doctor should not be giving interviews to the press whilst an investigation is going on. If this were my doctor and I’d officially complained about him, I would be royally pissed off and feeling that my complaint would not be getting a fuse hearing ( I’d be wrong to think this of course as he’s actually damaging his reputation and is storing up possible future charges)

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 15:34:17

We don't know exactly what was said in the room at the time - did he just say she should take off the veil or did he ask her if she would mind removing or lifting her veil.

However it is phrased the doctor is in a position of power and as a male alone in a room with vulnerable females, he should be hyper sensitive/aware of that! Especially before asking them (even nicely) to strip off!!

Beckett Sat 25-May-19 15:35:58

I have just looked at the petition and read some of the comments - yes some are disgustingly racist but the majority are simply saying the doctor was trying to do his job and find out all he could about the patient (the child).

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 15:37:41

The wearing of a veil is not a religious requirement it is a cultural one - just as women not being allowed to be alone in the presence of a non related male is. It seems the husband was prepared to overlook that custom.

Does it matter? The unnecessary removal of her veil on this doctors unjustified request either left her feeling vulnerable and she shared that with her husband so he could represent her OR the husband found out (kids blab) and she is suffering his anger...

So either way a woman left unnecessarily vulnerable however you interpret it.

"HE should overlook it.." well he didnt, did he!

Beckett Sat 25-May-19 15:39:41

notanan as far as I am aware he didn't ask her to "strip off".

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 15:39:56

What does he do if someone mumbles who has had a stroke? Ask them to strip off? Or ask clearer closed questions and listen more carefully? Hmm?

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 15:42:54

notanan as far as I am aware he didn't ask her to "strip off".

He did. As far as she and/or her husband is concerned.

Some cultures dont cover their breast, I cover mine. It would be asking me to "strip off" to ask me to be bare to the waist.

Asking a veiled women to remove it on front if non family males is asking her to "strip off" and should be done with the same level of justification and maintaining of dignity as you would exercise asking other women to remove their coverings

Beckett Sat 25-May-19 15:43:50

Well it seems most of you have access to information the rest of us haven't and know how the doctor normally treats women, what he said, how the woman felt, how her husband treats her, what the child said etc. etc. etc. So as I freely admit I don't know any of these things I will bow to your obvious superior knowledge. [hmm[ I don't know why the GMC is bothering with an investigation - they should just consult GN

notanan2 Sat 25-May-19 15:44:12

Not to mention that if she was mumbling WITH her veil she will prob mumble more whilst feeling uncomfortable and exposed without it..