Gransnet forums

AIBU

... to feel really angry every time I see balloons being released into the sky

(133 Posts)
MamaCaz Fri 14-Jun-19 18:49:06

Just that really. It makes me really angry.

If someone pulled up at the side of the toad and tipped a box-full of uninflated balloons out of their car onto the verge, they could, quite rightly, be prosecuted. Why is releasing them into the sky still allowed when it is just as bad for the environment?

wildswan16 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:41:54

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7212387/Scottish-farmer-posts-furious-Twitter-message-saving-calf-choking-5ft-balloon.html

Nanny27 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:58:52

I thought most people were educated about the environment sufficiently these days to find an alternative to balloon releases. I think it’s an awful thing to do.

SueDonim Tue 02-Jul-19 13:15:16

This is proof of the result in Scotland of balloon releases. sad Our wild places contaminated by plastic.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-48838541

PamelaJ1 Fri 28-Jun-19 18:20:17

It’smyfirstrodeo, unless they biodegrade very very quickly I can’t see how they could stop causing damage.
My friend has a garden centre and was telling me that some growers use biodegradable pots.
Unfortunately they need very specific conditions before they biodegrade.

Sarahmob Fri 28-Jun-19 17:55:04

Our local hospice organise a butterfly release every year - that’s far more environmentally friendly.

alchemilla Fri 28-Jun-19 17:10:55

While we're on the subject, what about fireworks? I think they should be restricted to well advertised public displays. In the countryside near wedding venues they go off two or three times a week. I know at least three horses who have died from running into fences in panic. To say nothing of panicking domestic animals. Where I used to live there would be six weeks of fireworks - at least with the public ones which I knew about I could get animals in and medicate them if necessary.

Itsmyfirstrodeo Sun 16-Jun-19 09:53:15

You can get biodegradable balloons now, whether they are truly suitable or not I don't know, but I do know that there is something very symbolic to the release into the air

Esspee Sun 16-Jun-19 05:45:10

@paddyann A release of butterflies or doves is very spectacular and could replace balloons perhaps.

Apricity Sun 16-Jun-19 05:15:27

OPgrndtr, what a lovely and thoughtful alternative to balloons. The notes provide the opportunity for each person at the funeral to express their love and memories of your mother and to know they will accompany her on her next journey. ?

OPgrndtr Sun 16-Jun-19 03:05:28

After reading this thread I have decided to not honor my DM wish for pink balloons released at her funeral. I won't tell her because she won't know. I have decided to provide each person a pink heart-shaped piece of note paper on which to write their last thoughts of DM. Then as they leave we will collect them and have them buried with her casket. I think that would serve as a goodbye wish better than balloons.

Mapleleaf Sat 15-Jun-19 22:01:01

I really don't think, knowing what I now do know about the harm plastics do to the environment and to animals, that sending plastics up into the air in the form of balloons, is a good idea. Yes, I'm well aware that there are many, many other pollutants that we humans put out into this world of ours, but perhaps we can all do our bit to stop doing some of the harmful things - releasing balloons would be one thing we could do. I don't imagine there are many of us posting who have not suffered painful bereavements in our lives, and I can well understand how some things, be it lighting candles, releasing balloons, etc, can bring comfort to us. However, I really do think that with some things we do, however innocently, once their harm to the environment has been brought to our attention, then we really do need to look to alternatives. It's a pity there aren't biodegradable balloons and strings, isn't it? Perhaps there are? As it is, though, with most balloons and strings, the strings can entangle animals, and the plastic/latex can choke them - not nice, and totally avoidable.

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-19 21:33:58

I can remember mourners at a funeral at least 30 years ago, releasing balloons in memory of a good friend. We didn't think about the consequences then. We would now and never release a balloon again.

Anniebach Sat 15-Jun-19 20:35:43

I would not release a balloon in memory my elder daughter
she loved all animals and birds , risking the life of an animal
or bird in her memory , no.

4allweknow Sat 15-Jun-19 20:22:39

Balloons are a menace to animals and the environment as are those lanterns.

Flaxseed Sat 15-Jun-19 18:16:12

Another one here that hates them too.

As a family, we used to release helium balloons on the anniversary of my brother’s death.
Over the years, I have learnt how damaging they are to our wildlife and environment and feel ashamed that we did this. We now plant bulbs were we used to play as kids.
Far more environmentally friendly wink

Aepgirl Sat 15-Jun-19 17:44:56

No, it’s completely wrong to let these balloons fly into the sky. They just end up being litter, and dangerous litter is farming country.

I also don’t understand why smokers think it’s OK to stub their cigarettes out on the pavement, when this is litter too. I live near a railway station and the ground usually has hundreds of cig. ends thrown down.

Grannyrebel27 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:43:33

Totally agree I saw a squirrel with something in his mouth that looked like a balloon once.

Daisymae Sat 15-Jun-19 17:19:07

Some good points here. I also thought that Chinese lanterns were rather nice until I saw the damage they can inflict. It's about educating people so that we can all be aware of the unintended consequence of our actions.

GrannyAnnie2010 Sat 15-Jun-19 17:08:53

Paddyann, in your first post (duplicated) you mentioned popping out from behind a cloud to "grab" a balloon. I misquoted "grab" for catch.

My point is that rather than release balloons to parallel the release of emotion, release seeds into the wind instead.

I'm not sure who dumdum's question is addressed to.

Chucky Sat 15-Jun-19 16:50:20

I always thought releasing balloons/lanterns like this was lovely, however we didn’t know the risks to the planet this caused!
You are completely right MamaCaz, this type of thing shouldn’t be allowed now we do know the risk.

I think so many people either don’t know (or don’t care) how much damage we are causing to our planet!

Johno Sat 15-Jun-19 16:47:04

I see your point. I do think that large balloons showing Sadiq Khan to be a pillock are OK.

Grammaretto Sat 15-Jun-19 15:47:22

I agree that balloons are a no no nowadays like a lot of things we once accepted without a thought and now we must change our behaviour.

Plastic cups, bottles, drinking straws, single use
bags etc. Hospitals are some of the worst offenders and I daresay other institutions too.

What I wanted to add is that just because we aren't perfect ourselves it doesn't mean we can't protest when we see a wrong and want to improve.
2 wrongs do not make a right and every little helps.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Jun-19 15:39:58

Callistemon, I think painted pebbles can be a very moving, and lasting, memorial to people we’ve lost. The painted rocks trend is still alive and well in this area, and I’ve seen some beautiful tributes marking Armistice and D-Day.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Jun-19 15:36:40

A very valid point, crystaltipps. It’s daft that any effort to reduce one’s negative effect on the planet we all live on is so often met with a Ah, but I bet you still drive/eat meat/fly.... That’s not the point, and any effort should be applauded, not criticised.

crystaltipps Sat 15-Jun-19 15:20:05

No one is condemning people who have done this in the past without knowledge of the damage done. I have in the past been part of a balloon release when a young relative died and his school friends did this on the school field, however I would not take part in something like this now and I hope more get the message of the drawbacks and think of something less harmful in the future. I don’t think accusing people of other harmful things as defence (“ if you aren’t perfect you can’t criticise”) is really acceptable though, surely it is better to try to do the least harm- you don’t have to be perfect in every way. .