Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gross topic, sorry

(101 Posts)
Foxygran Tue 02-Jul-19 17:13:37

Sorry, I know this is both a gross subject and a ridiculous one, but I seriously would like the benefit of your opinion. Who is being unreasonable, my dh or me?!
So, we have just sat outside on sun chairs, enjoying glorious weather and he decides to start chopping his toe nails, all the nails landing in the grass by where I sitting and where we are walking indoors and outdoors, with bare feet. I ask him to stop because I’ll be getting toe nails pressed into the soles of my feet and he is cross with me! Admittedly he stops, but now he’s moody with me. Who is being unreasonable please?!

TwiceAsNice Tue 02-Jul-19 17:14:30

He is! That is disgusting!

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 17:18:50

Make him mow the grass. Right now. Chonk the buggers up.

Avor2 Tue 02-Jul-19 17:19:44

Goodness me, nasty thought, there are bathrooms for that sort of thing.

Sara65 Tue 02-Jul-19 17:21:45

Definitely him! Yuck

Gonegirl Tue 02-Jul-19 17:22:53

Wouldn't bother me tbh. It's only the garden.

BlueBelle Tue 02-Jul-19 17:26:12

Oh is it that bad ? they re just going back to nature sitting along with stones, twigs, worms etc
In the state of the world I wouldn’t be too bothered by a few toe nail cuttings on the grass so I m with your husband Mountain out of molehill for me

Liz46 Tue 02-Jul-19 17:35:32

It wouldn't bother me at all.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 17:37:59

It would be the least of my worries.

Squiffy Tue 02-Jul-19 17:38:23

The fact that he's doing it in the garden wouldn't bother me, but if he's sitting near me it would! Toenails are notoriously unpredictable missiles and imagine if one landed in your eye or drink etc!

sodapop Tue 02-Jul-19 18:05:19

Yes I'm with Squiffy here, not bothered about the garden but definitely no toe nails in my G&T smile

Eloethan Tue 02-Jul-19 18:09:36

It wouldn't bother me either.

annodomini Tue 02-Jul-19 18:12:38

I'd say that the garden is the best place for toenail cutting.

merlotgran Tue 02-Jul-19 18:13:59

Cutting toe nails in the garden wouldn't bother me but being in a bad mood because you objected is very unreasonable behaviour.

Bellasnana Tue 02-Jul-19 18:18:15

My mind ran wild when I read ‘Gross Topic’. I imagined all sorts of nasty scenarios but I fail to see anything gross in cutting toenails outside.confused

Bathsheba Tue 02-Jul-19 18:21:45

I would have no problem with that at all. As for cutting them in the bathroom - my DH does that, with his foot up on the edge of the bath. Then when I get in to have a shower I find I'm treading on his toenail clippings - yuk!!! He swears he swishes the bath round after with the shower head, but clearly doesn't do it properly.

So I'm all for cutting them in the garden (just well away from my G&T grin)

Calendargirl Tue 02-Jul-19 19:50:41

I always cut my toenails outside in the summer, and DH has started doing that too.

Lazigirl Tue 02-Jul-19 19:56:48

Gosh. Living with someone there are much worse, and gross things to contend with, won't list here grin You must have a low tolerance threshold foxygran.

sharon103 Tue 02-Jul-19 20:04:08

No objection to cutting nails outdoors but not where people would walk over them with their bare feet. Yuk.

GrandmaKT Tue 02-Jul-19 20:16:12

Can't see any problem with that - seems a sensible place to cut your toe nails. The lawn is full of twigs, worms, worm casts, insects, bacteria. What difference do a few toe nails make?

Foxygran Tue 02-Jul-19 20:20:57

Well it looks as though it swings in his favour and I am in the wrong here! No don’t get me wrong, I have no problem with cutting toenails outdoors, the problem was they were where we were walking and they’d be stuck to the bottom of my foot!! Yes....! It’s only a light hearted topic, of course there are far more important things going on in people’s lives but nice to know when I’m in the wrong! ??

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jul-19 20:31:44

Aw, nobody's in the wrong, we just have different attitudes to the common toenail! I wouldn't have a problem with it, but an ex-boyfriend of one of my DDs completely freaked out because someone had left a couple of toenail clippings on the side of our bath. He kept on and b****y on about them, apparently they were absolutely disgusting (and of course they were mine grin).

I'd have understood if I'd been hoisting my feet up onto the kitchen table.....

annep1 Tue 02-Jul-19 20:40:34

You are not being unreasonable Foxygran. There isn't a right or wrong. Some people feel it was ok. You didn't. My husband I both think it's gross. The thing is you didn't like it and you should be able to ask him not to do it without him being grumpy. So don't let him make you feel bad about it.

sodapop Tue 02-Jul-19 20:41:53

That conjures up an interesting picture Maggiemaybe grin

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jul-19 20:53:50

Not a pretty one, sodapop, that's for sure! grin