Gransnet forums

AIBU

Ann Widdicombe

(197 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 04-Jul-19 15:48:34

What a disgraceful speech, by AW, with the obnoxious NF laughing along.
Wither or not you want to leave the EU, the behaviour of these two was IMO shameful.

Johno Mon 08-Jul-19 09:01:10

What is offensive speech? I find Graham Norton saying ... "ooooh, thats a big one"!!!! offensive. But I will never want him shut down. No one has the right NOT to be offended and being offended does not give you the right to shut me down. Are you sure you people are over 50??? I am so shocked at the finicky, thin-skinned amongst us.

Firecracker123 Mon 08-Jul-19 09:01:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jul-19 09:05:43

She is a very strange and eccentric person, this is true and holds strong views on all kinds of subjects ( as do various others, in and out of politics.)
Brid it really doesn’t matter what she says or thinks on matters other than the EU, posters are giving this too much thought.She will be an MEP until October.
She may well appear on tv after that in chat shows etc but will have no political power.
Minimoo smile?????? Well said.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jul-19 09:10:22

I don’t like AW but think there are room for all sorts.....As long as they are not in positions of power.
MEP’s will shortly be a thing of the past.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jul-19 11:34:01

Johno On what grounds should David Lammy be arrested?

jura2 Mon 08-Jul-19 11:38:48

Same question?

Johno- there is freedom of speech- and there is illegal incitment to violence and racism. And who are you to tell me I have no freedom of being offended by either?

Urmstongran Mon 08-Jul-19 11:52:09

Jacob Rees Mogg defends AW.

Says her description of us being ‘slaves’ of the EU is not a million miles from his description of our being ‘a vassal state’.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jul-19 16:38:47

You still haven't clarified what grounds you believe there are to arrest David Lammy.

Eloethan Mon 08-Jul-19 16:39:55

That was to johno.

Labaik Fri 12-Jul-19 21:53:41

And now this 'A Brexit party MEP has been heavily criticised after he called for foreign fishing vessels to be “given the same treatment as the Belgrano”, the Argentinian cruiser sunk by the Royal Navy with the loss of hundreds of lives.
Robert Rowland, a hedge fund manager, made the remarks in a tweet about “the restoration of sovereignty over our waters”, in celebration of a fellow MEP, June Mummery, joining the European parliament’s fisheries committee'.
He wrote: “We are behind all our fisherman [sic] and the restoration of sovereignty over our waters. 200 miles of exclusion zone with any foreign fishing vessel given the same treatment as the Belgrano! Well done June. We are 110% behind you and will ensure you give ‘em hell on committee

GillT57 Fri 12-Jul-19 22:41:27

labaik. Would that be the same Fisheries Commitee that Farsge never attended? But was paid to do so. Bloody charlatans and shysters the lot of them.

Labaik Fri 12-Jul-19 23:03:29

sad

maddyone Fri 12-Jul-19 23:21:45

I think a comment like that shows Britain up, the Belgrano comment.

Ginny42 Sat 13-Jul-19 06:19:01

Farage has created a monster he can't control.

Lessismore Sat 13-Jul-19 09:51:19

The Belgrano was desperately sad.

CarlyD7 Sat 13-Jul-19 09:58:29

GillT57 Well said !

CarlyD7 Sat 13-Jul-19 10:01:39

Lessismore Yes it was, and why people are applauding such a way forward that would lead to the loss of human life is appalling. 300 lives were lost on the Belgrano - or doesn''t it matter to these people beacause they weren't British?? Horrible.

EllanVannin Sat 13-Jul-19 11:16:44

Did anyone see the silly old bat on the Crystal Maze game show last night ?

Mirabelle7 Sat 13-Jul-19 11:25:00

Well maybe she has bipolar who knows? One thing is for sure nobody else can get a word in edgeways or any other way for that matter! She has very strong opinions on a lot of things and wo betide anyone who dares to disagree with her.On a more shallow note I do wish she would get her teeth fixed.

CyclingKnitter Sat 13-Jul-19 11:46:55

Posters concerned about EU democracy might be interested in some facts.

Lammy is my MP, and a very good one. I suspect the claims about his impending arrest go back to April, when he compared the far right Tories (the ERG lot - Rees-Mogg etc) to Nazis and some of the far right called got his arrest. So it’s just a racist meme and not to be taken seriously. It might not have been a sensible remark but it voices what many people are concerned about: growing hatred of anyone who is not white, who is Jewish, Muslim or in anyway different.

As for Ann Widdecombe: there’s nothing more to be said about the foaming sputum that comes out of her mouth that hasn’t already been said well by others here.

Firecracker123 Sat 13-Jul-19 13:52:25

I see the report post police are back lol.

Cyclingknit thanks