Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wimbledon, BBC, taking the....

(145 Posts)
phoenix Sat 06-Jul-19 20:45:56

I don't mind a bit of tennis, but right now, as I type the same match is being shown on both BBC 1 AND 2!

(And there's grunting/sighing)

As a licence fee payer, who would like to watch Casualty, I'm feeling pretty pissed off angry

dogsmother Sat 06-Jul-19 22:18:03

Really cross that I have to pay a license fee and that’s it.

Thebeeb Sat 06-Jul-19 22:25:00

Me too.

rockgran Sat 06-Jul-19 23:09:57

Definitely not getting my money's worth. I HATE TENNIS!

callgirl1 Sat 06-Jul-19 23:46:19

I hate tennis as well, hate most sport actually. Tonight was the first Saturday evening that Lynne`s carer came and went before Casualty started, so we were well pleased, UNTIL we turned the TV on!

kittylester Sun 07-Jul-19 08:07:58

gg13, I think that's BT not BBC.

Calendargirl Sun 07-Jul-19 08:16:25

I turned on tv at 5p.m. to watch early evening news as advertised in programme page. After 10 minutes of post match football chat re the women’s football, I realised there was no news then as the tennis was about to start. Oh well, just watched the news at 10 after Killing Eve! ⚽️?

janeainsworth Sun 07-Jul-19 08:26:03

Watching television isn’t compulsory.

sodapop Sun 07-Jul-19 08:32:02

I'm with you all the way Phoenix not only was tennis on two channels but no information given about the changed schedule.
No TV watching is not compulsory JaneAinsworth but I enjoy it along with many others I'm sure. I also have other hobbies which are not compulsory either.

sandwichgeneration Sun 07-Jul-19 09:32:25

Months of cricket? Only on Sky!

Aepgirl Sun 07-Jul-19 09:32:26

Exactly what I was having a grouch about last night, Phoenix. Surely BBC2 should be used for Wimbledon, and leave all the regulars on BBC1. Thankfully it diddn’t Impact on Killing Eve.

It might be only once a year, Fizzers, but it is on for 2 weeks.

BusterTank Sun 07-Jul-19 09:34:56

I totally agree with you . If not bloody Tennis it's woman's football or any kind of other sport . What am I paying my TV licence for , I don't watch any of that crapp .

Theoddbird Sun 07-Jul-19 09:36:09

I have been enjoying it. It is just two weeks. Relax enjoy. Why get upset about it.

Saggi Sun 07-Jul-19 09:38:47

I used to love Wimbledon ..... but now as it’s my husbands’ ‘go to’ sport to watch in the now decreased football closed season , which used to be 3 months from F.A. Cup Final in May, till start of new season in August....but now consists of a whole 38 minutes ( blink and you’ll miss it’!)...I find myself becoming bored with big -serving ... grunting men and women. Tennis used to be about skill and personality.... now it’s about giant men and some women just trying to ‘ace’ as many serves as they can , and/or trying to knock the other persons head off of their shoulders. No thanks. Thankfully I have Netflix on the other tele.

SusieCook Sun 07-Jul-19 09:40:44

There are so many dedicated sports channels on now, so could they put tennis/cricket/snooker/etc.,on those channels?

trisher Sun 07-Jul-19 09:44:31

I don't understand why it would be on 2 channels at the same time. Even if you are a rabid tennis fan you can't watch 2 channels at once. I can't stand Casualty but really people should get to watch what they like

PamelaJ1 Sun 07-Jul-19 09:45:45

Chelsea, not everyone has a red button. I got told off on another thread for suggesting the red button could be used!
On my TV though, with a red button I can choose which match I watch so , although I'm at risk of a telling off again, many of us don't need to have tennis on more than one channel.
Re: the licence fee, It would cost me so much more than the cost of that to go to Wimbledon for one day. Presuming I could get a ticket!
Champers and strawberries are cheaper at home too.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 07-Jul-19 09:46:19

I never watch tennis but was interested in seeing the mixed doubles match with Murray and Williams. Had the bloody tennis on all day trying to catch it, got fed up and watched Hampton Court flower show and somehow managed to miss it!

Calendargirl Sun 07-Jul-19 09:49:13

Well, the tennis is only two weeks certainly, but then there is the football, cricket, rugby, golf, motor racing, horse racing, cycling......
⚽️???️‍♂️???‍♀️.......

Camelotclub Sun 07-Jul-19 09:50:20

It's only for two weeks FGS! I love it. Just wish they wouldn't keep jumping around, switching a match to another channel.

Blinko Sun 07-Jul-19 09:54:31

OH and I hate all sport. OH is of the opinion that if WWIII were to erupt, (which Heaven forbid) the news would go something like this:

'Here are the news headlines. We are at war with (the rest of the world or whoever); and now, the Sport, blah blah... for the next twenty minutes'.

Why, oh why doesn't the beeb commission a ruddy sports channel. Then we'd all be happy.

grandmacath2013 Sun 07-Jul-19 09:55:22

I really enjoy watching Wimbledon it’s only two weeks in the year. You can watch your usual programmes for the other fifty weeks. There are lots of other channels to choose from, relax and enjoy something different you may find a new favourite.

Notsooldat75 Sun 07-Jul-19 09:55:27

Endless football, men or women, I really don’t care, but I love the Wimbledon fortnight, and for heavens sake, it’s only a fortnight!
There are plenty of other things to get angry about, live and let live, I say!

Izzipop Sun 07-Jul-19 09:56:21

What is the matter with everyone There is hardly any tennis on the TV. See it for what it is. Amazing athletes doing an amazing job they are the gladiators of sport.The matches are awe inspiring and gripping and they rely totally on themselves. Hardly any recovery time after each game totally exhausting. I don’t think that the people who are moaning fully understand or appreciate the game.

Pittcity Sun 07-Jul-19 09:57:59

I usually watch Wimbledon on my laptop via iPlayer. DH can then watch whatever rubbish he wants.

Notsooldat75 Sun 07-Jul-19 09:59:15

And, PamelaJI is quite right, watching Wimbledon from home is cheaper, more comfortable, and you can go to the loo when you want! And if you’re bored, simply TURN IT OFF!
No long journey home, cheaper strawberries and cream, and if you happen to take your eye off the screen, the commentary keeps you up to date.
I know, I’ve done both!