Gransnet forums

AIBU

What would you have done?

(103 Posts)
Chucky Sat 13-Jul-19 09:39:12

First I know I have been fair, but should I have been?
I was shopping yesterday with someone else. My budget is pretty tight so I tend to buy in bulk, things like cat food, pasta, potatoes etc. I also add things up in my head as I go along, so I know roughly how much my shop will come to.
I got to the checkout and because a number of my items were largish the assistant told me to leave them in my trolley and he scanned them through with bar codes on cards he had beside him.
After he finished he told me how much my shopping had cost. The total he asked me for was significantly less (around £20) than what I had added in my head, so I said to him I thought he had missed somethings out. He checked, and sure enough he hadn’t put everything through. He put through the 2 items he had missed and gave me the new total, which I paid.

After we left the shop the person with me asked why I had told the checkout assistant that he had missed some items out, and not just paid the original total? My answer was that it never occurred to me not to tell him, as that would have been dishonest!

She said she wouldn’t have queried it and would have paid the lesser amount. I said that wouldn’t have been fair!
Here’s the question as per my title.....What would you have done?

Wheniwasyourage Mon 29-Jul-19 13:15:26

SueDonim, I think you are quite right about not doing a 80-mile trip about your mislabelled bread bin. You could mention it the next time you are there, and they will probably say to forget it, but I think your idea of putting an extra donation into the food bank is an excellent way round it.

Looking back at the dates, I realise that all this happened some time ago and you have probably done what you're going to do anyway, so don't need my support, but you can have it anyway!

Mitramonday Wed 07-Aug-19 17:44:20

A couple of years back, I did a bulk shop in that famous Swedish furniture warehouse place (begins in I and ends in A, four letters!). There was no way I could have totalled it up in my head (30+ dinner plates, 40+ bowls, 52 glasses, 26 cushions...you get my drift!) but when I got back to my place of work, I discovered they had undercharged us by a substantial amount. I telephoned them to make the payment difference over the phone...and ended up probably spending it all on phone charges - they didn't have a clue how to take a payment for this error! We got there in the end.