Gransnet forums

AIBU

Climate change protesters anyone else think they are hypocritical? AIBU

(281 Posts)
sazz1 Mon 15-Jul-19 11:43:47

Ok so part of the town is shut off due to protesters causing diversions and more traffic fumes. Also the majority probably don't use public transport or ride a bike to work. When the kids did it it was on a school day not a weekend. And you can bet they drive with parents to school, clubs, visit friends etc to say nothing about gap years later when they fly around the world. Also I'll bet a lot go on foriegn holidays and certainly not biking in the countryside. Also the mess left behind shows they don't care about the environment much either. Why protest in busy streets etc when we have a huge green outside our council buildings? Anyone else feel like this or am I just a miserable OAP
Thoughts?

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 12:43:23

He does have a very enlightened headmaster. (And his exams are over now)

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 12:59:14

He must have. I can't imagine my DGD's headmaster would be in the slightest bit amused. Exams or no exams it would be an un-authorised absence and as I said earlier, there would be consequences.

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 13:04:44

JenniferEccles I left the other place quite a few years ago to come on this site. I think I may be a touch too old for Mumsnet anymore.

Sorry if my language offended your delicate little ear holes. smile

JenniferEccles Mon 15-Jul-19 13:16:36

The fact is that our planet has had periods of cooling and warming over many many centuries obviously long before human activity could be blamed, so other factors must have been at play then, as they are now.

As we know this, obviously those same factors must play a huge part now. Solar activity is the obvious answer.

My big problem with all this is that some seem to insist that any change must be solely the fault of us when clearly this is not true.

Having said that of course it is up to all of us to do our bit, but I will not be joining the hypocrites who love to lecture the rest of us, yet still carry on driving their cars, going on holiday, heating their homes etc.

quizqueen Mon 15-Jul-19 13:26:20

Unless the world population is reduced severely by about 90% there is no hope for this planet. All the efforts with recycling and counting carbon footprints and protest marches are not going to solve the problem. It is the number of people on earth which is causing it, their use of energy, however it is manufactured, and their destruction of natural habitats.

So I hope all of you who support these protesters have never had more than two children, one or none would have been better! Oh well, we can always go off into space and ruin another planet.

NanaandGrampy Mon 15-Jul-19 13:36:52

Does your GS’s parents have to pay the fine for unauthorised absence Gonegirl?

wicklowwinnie Mon 15-Jul-19 13:42:23

I agree with JenniferEccles, We have been here before, but there were far fewer of us on this planet.
We are getting seriously over populated.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Jul-19 13:43:18

I know the big stuff is down to the government but everyone must try to do their bit too surely gonegirl many small things make a big result

Maggiemaybe Mon 15-Jul-19 13:54:02

It’s not just human overpopulation we’ve to worry about. I mentioned this on another GN environment thread and got shot down in flames, predictably, by pet lovers. The average medium sized pet dog in the U.K. has a larger carbon footprint than the average Vietnamese person. Other comparable low impact countries are available.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2009/nov/13/ethical-living-carbon-emissions

M0nica Mon 15-Jul-19 13:56:54

But protesting is so much more fun than cleaning up your life and working to put forward real and practical suggestions to reduce emissions of CO2.

Lots of virtue signalling and smug self satisfaction.

Johno Mon 15-Jul-19 13:59:05

MSM interview with CC leader: Q: what do you think to the fact you're shutting down parts of London is the direct cause of some small businesses going bust and people losing their jobs? ... A:CC - Its worth it-we need to do something now. They will be grateful. and this... Q: what are you actually doing to conserve energy and save the planet? A:CC - "I have become a vegetarian.!!! Then George Clooney and Johny Depp leaving their private HEATED swimming pools to fly in their private jet to a Climate Change venue to speak, telling the rest of us to save energy by cutting down on flights to go on holiday for you break from work. !!?? LOL you have to laugh at these pillocks.

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 14:03:31

They are first class hypocrites Johno and what makes me laugh is that they really believe that they don't have to change their habits ! Do they think we are idiots?

I think they need to give their heads a good wobble !

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 14:07:06

I wonder what my carbon foot print is compared with someone like George Clooney, Emma Thomson, Prince Charles etc?

They who have an awful lot to say for themselves.

petra Mon 15-Jul-19 14:09:06

I'm sure there are 1,000s of 'rent a mob' but, I know there are 1,000s of genuine protesters like Gonegirls grandson.
I've started educating my grandchildren about climate change. They teach them in school but it's just 'tick box' stuff ?

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 14:16:46

They encourage discussion at my younger DGC's primary and they have full lessons dedicated to the subject at my older DGD's secondary. They do not allow random days off to hang around waving banners though.

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 14:38:33

Definitely bluebell. We all have to do our bit, but it's governments who have to the big stuff. I suggest a few extra pence on a litre of petrol - money to be used for more charging points for electric cars.

Gonegirl Mon 15-Jul-19 14:39:12

Thanks Petra.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 14:42:06

I wouldn't dream of protesting when the skies are busier than they've ever been and another runway is in progress. More cars on the roads---2 car families, millions more people on the planet equals more waste of every kind. Cruises galore and shipping generally at its height.
What on earth can anyone do ? Protesting is a sheer waste of time.

Humans could take more responsibility than they do with their rubbish, etc.

Urmstongran Mon 15-Jul-19 14:45:15

Last week, the Prince of Wales warned Commonwealth leaders that they have only 18 months to “decide our ability to keep climate change to sustainable levels”.

In 2009, in Brazil, HRH announced that the world had 100 months left to save the planet from “irretrievable climate collapse”. His deadline duly came and went in 2017, without catastrophe, thank goodness.

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 14:55:20

They need to stop cutting trees down. Man-made interference every time. Trees are vital for any climate and the way decimation of them is evident in lots of areas is criminal to say the least as it's also stolen the habitations of many animals and birds.

Callistemon Mon 15-Jul-19 14:55:33

How shall we produce all the electricity required?

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jul-19 14:56:15

The greed of man has created climate change !

Callistemon Mon 15-Jul-19 14:59:23

His mum and dad have locked his tent away.
grin
someone else will have one, or he may not need one until Friday.

I'm not going to shut up about Emma Thompson though. She is an arch hypocrite.

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 15:07:05

How many air miles has HRH Charlie and Co. clocked up over the last few years? How many cars do they run? How much food do they waste? How many homes /palaces/cottages/apartments/ castles do they run and heat? hmm

gillybob Mon 15-Jul-19 15:08:54

Good question Callistemon no doubt we will use even more biomass shipped in from Canada to the Tyne for this very purpose. Of course they sail it in on huge sailing ships ... not... hmm