Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour

(71 Posts)
H1954 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:56:31

I shall probably get shot down in flames over this but here goes:-

My neighbour is a widower and in poor health ( due to his own lifestyle choices ). He is a very very heavy smoker too. I'm a bit older and partially disabled due to work related injuries.

Yesterday, I asked how he was and apparently he'd had a bad night due to pain; I said I was also sleeping badly due to pain.

This morning I asked again to enquire if he'd had a better nights sleep. He said yes he had..........but didn't ask after me. I was a little miffed tbh but let the matter go. This afternoon, with the weather being nice I wanted to eat my lunch outside but couldn't............because of his b****y cigarette smoke!

I can't have my bedroom window open nor the patio door for that same reason!

Sorry if this a bit of a rant! I just wish he'd ask how I was from time to time! Is that too much to ask?

Ps. I sent some of my birthday cake round recently but he never said thank you or even sent me a card! We ALWAYS remember his birthday!

NanaTuesday Fri 19-Jul-19 10:29:46

What an awful Man,I really sympathise with you on this .
Unfortunately ciggerette smoke is not good or nice & if he is in the garden atvthe samw time unavoidable I'd think .
We have far worse in the way of Marijuana smoke ! From next door ,I am aware the neighbour has a debilitating illness but nonegthe leas its not nice , it also permeats into our under stairs Cupboard. We are also privvy to other neighbour using the same at times.
Is say one cigarette is'nt too bad .Sit far away from the source .Make uourself a cosy place in the Sun our of his line of smoke.
Re his asking after your health. rant away. He is downright rude . Out of order.i wouldn't bother asking again.
I have a longtime friend. who always always tells me of every ache& pain ( ahe has many) & while I can empathize I no longer want to hear it , its always thw first things she says .Along with the Drs,GPs ,Consultants discussions ver battem !
I kid you not , And I dont even need to ask thw question. Its very rare I am afforded the same. I dont bother telling her any ails etc.
In fact I can time a whole conversation with her self (health)obsessed convo !!
Just get in first, or don't ask at all .!@

NanaTuesday Fri 19-Jul-19 10:31:28

Ditto, I have a " freind " I do the same now .

Nanny41 Fri 19-Jul-19 10:42:16

We have a similar problem, well my DH sees it as a problem, we have a garden with a little river between us and the neighbours on the other side, one neighbour likes to have a little fire each day and warms a kettle over this ( I think he just likes to do this,they have electricity but its a gimmick for him I think) my Husband goes mad every time he sees the smoke, he doesnt even have to smell it, he is up in arms and moans to me,I did suggest he speaks to the man,he did this and the man hasnt lit the fire so often, but I dont feel we can go over and demand he doesnt light the fire, he isnt actually disturbing anyone (except my Husband) I feel this problem will never go away.The smoke rarely comes over to us, and he isnt smoking,I would rather be friends than enemies over such a matter.

srn63 Fri 19-Jul-19 10:48:04

I think I would just be civil, nothing else. Sadly some people have no manners or social graces and do not seem to understand that conversation is a two way process. I am of an age that if people don't ask after me or my family I don't bother with them any more, life is too short to put up with bad manners and I prefer to spend my time with my lovely friends who do seem to be interested in me just as much as I love to hear about them and their families.

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Jul-19 10:56:20

I'm with Kim19 on this. I hate barbecue smells too.
As a vegetarian the smell of "burning flesh" (which incidentally goes on for hours in the warmer months) is something I just have to live with - I wouldn't want to spoil my neighbour's pleasure. I don't like cigarette smoke either but an odd cigarette is better than a whole summer of meat fumes to me!

harrysgran Fri 19-Jul-19 11:04:32

Get on with your own life some people don't deserve your concern maybe he might miss your friendly manner if you withdraw it and who knows he might even ask you how you are .As for smoke I can imagine how annoying it is I can only suggest burning a one of those outdoor candles you use to keep insects away when you want to eat outside.

Amry64 Fri 19-Jul-19 11:09:51

Could be worse - we live in a rural area with farming smells at regular intervals - sometimes especially pungent! Sewage? Smoking is non PC nowadays but was fashionable when I was young, and once you are hooked it's not easy to stop. If the neighbour is unwell, the smoking probably helps him to relax. and cope with the pain.

Jaye53 Fri 19-Jul-19 11:15:35

H1954.agree with all other posts.be civil only to him.and invest in a very very large fan to keep smoke away from you.

Ooeyisit Fri 19-Jul-19 11:17:50

Annaraml I laughed out loud at your post . I understand how this can easily happen but it sound like he is living the dream if he thinks anyone is after him smokey old grump that he is .ha ha

Camelotclub Fri 19-Jul-19 11:23:23

If his health is that bad he probably won't be around for much longer! (Sounds callous but true.) Just don't have anything to do with him any more.

Tigertooth Fri 19-Jul-19 11:27:23

I agree - he probably doesn’t care for being badgered about his sleeping habits night and day. Don’t give to receive - this applies in this context too.
As for the smoke - it soon dissipates, and I’m sure he’s not out there all day smoking - unlike my friggin’ neighbours who don’t smoke but who’s cats leave my garden knee deep in shite - all day every day.

DaisyL Fri 19-Jul-19 11:29:32

Why do want to engage with this man? It is a waste of your time and energy unless you particularly want to be friends with him. Live and let live! As for the smoking - it is annoying for someone who doesn't smoke but we seem to have lost a lot of tolerance for this - when I was young everyone smoked everywhere. I remember having a cigarette in my hospital bed twenty minutes after my son (11lbs at birth so no, he wasn't affected by my smoking!!!) was born. There was an ashtray by my bed! I don't smoke any more, but how much does your neighbour smoke? You could always try lighting a barbecue in self defence!

PamGeo Fri 19-Jul-19 11:37:19

Living on your own with no one but yourself to think about can make some people very self absorbed, even more so if in chronic pain.
Some people, not all obviously but in this case he is all about himself and apart from a cheery 'morning' and keeping an eye out incase you don't see him for a few days I'd leave him be and get on with your own life.
Maybe he's never been one for social niceties and doesn't plan on changing but he's partial to a piece of cake smile

geraniam Fri 19-Jul-19 11:41:14

Some people are nice, some people are really nice. Today I went in to the village to the co-op and saw mother duck and six ducklings waddling along the centre of the road, a huge lorry came trundling along, I held by breath as did several other people, but the lorry stopped, the driver (big beer belly, tattoos, skin head) got out and made sure she was safely on the pavement before going on his way.

Van-Nan Fri 19-Jul-19 11:44:14

When asked “How are you” I always politely respond with “very well, thank you” or perhaps a less enthusiastic “Not so bad, thanks”. I would never actually describe my well-being or lack of it. It’s just a form of greeting IMHO. I can’t really understand people who post about their aches and pains on Facebook either!!

Minniemoo Fri 19-Jul-19 11:45:20

Thrilled to discover people who loathe the smell of barbecues. I thought it was just me. I'd rather have a chain smoking family of 5 next door to me than barbecue fans. Of which there are many. I have never understood why we seem to love this so much. It stinks. Absolutely stinks. And as for a fish barbecue which my semi veggie neighbours like .... that has me gagging. I have to enclose myself in the living room. Wasn't so bad when we had Wimbledon to watch.

Gilly1952 Fri 19-Jul-19 11:45:54

Next time you sit outside, burn some joss sticks! With any luck they might overpower the cigarette smoke! Stop being so friend,y, don’t enquire after his health - and definitely don’t give him any more cake, etc! Sod him! Miserable old bugger. Play some loud music next time you’re in the garden - to cheer yourself up and annoy him!!! xx

quizqueen Fri 19-Jul-19 11:54:59

My neighbour used to send her husband to smoke in the garden over by my fence and away from her kitchen on the other side. I did tell him how much I hated it and that the smell wafted into my home so he does now go and smoke at the bottom of the garden.

GrauntyHelen Fri 19-Jul-19 12:11:10

Dont give and expect to receive Your neighbour in poor health (you sound very judgy about that btw) enjoys smoking in his own home /garden YES you are being unreasonable

Supernan Fri 19-Jul-19 12:21:40

You sound lovely. Can I come and live next to you?

moggie57 Fri 19-Jul-19 12:28:14

maybe he's a loner....and doesnt really think about you or anyone else.its just his way. but maybe you could say that you are allergic to his smoke as it drifts over your garden .....how long has this been going on . has he always been your neighbour.?

moggie57 Fri 19-Jul-19 12:31:47

get the lemon peel out....or the water spray gun...target practice. cats hate water...

driverann Fri 19-Jul-19 12:33:19

I had an elderly Neighbour who lived two doors away who I had not seen for 2/3 days I got no reply from the door bell so I phoned the police to asked them could they do a welfare check. They used a key to gain access and found him laying on the bedroom floor, he had broken his hip and could not get up. He was in hospital for three weeks I visited him and took him some fruit and newspapers and kept a lookout at his house and took his mail into the hospital for him. Unfortunately he died he was 87 years old. He had lived in the house for many years on his own his wife died in her 60s. I did not know he had any family, he never spoke about them. I went to his funeral and met a woman there who told me she was his cousin, there was only 6 mourners at the funeral. The next day she came to my house and gave me a cardboard box that was taped up and said she wanted me to have this ‘gift’ in memory of the gentleman. I thanked her and said I was pleased to help. After she had gone I opened the box and it contained the old chaps kettle!!! God knows why she gave me that it’s a battered old gas kettle with a whistle. I put it on the the stove and made a cup of tea with it and said out loud
‘Cheers Albert rest in peace’.

Fabulous50s Fri 19-Jul-19 12:35:23

What about spraying a blast of cheap air freshener over his way when the smoke drifts your way?!

moggie57 Fri 19-Jul-19 12:36:36

my rant for the day....neighbours in the next block of flats .my block 6 flats .theirs also.people in top flat told so many times by us to not put dirty nappies in food recycle bins or main recycle bins, ok for 2 days ,then back in recycle bins. asked council to send letters round the homes .they sent recycle booklet as to what not to put in recycle bins., its like talking to a brick wall. nappies in bag in bin. nope nappies no bag food or recycle bins. do i approach her with a packet of nappy bags.>? she and family also put dirty food jars/junk food etc in recycle bins...