Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being selfish.

(45 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 19-Jul-19 10:46:02

I know it's ages till Christmas but my daughter has invited me to stay so I can book my flight early. I always enjoy sleeping in her nice spare room beside the bathroom and often take a nap after lunch there. She has also invited my son and his wife and I have just realised they will have to sleep downstairs in a small study on a put up bed.That room is noisy and colder and I feel a bit guilty about having the good room. Should I offer to swap?

Ilovecheese Fri 19-Jul-19 10:55:01

No. They are younger, will sleep better than you would on a put up bed, and are less likely to need a nearby bathroom in the night.
Think of it as doing them a favour because if you sleep well and are relaxed and cheerful you will be better company.

Riverwalk Fri 19-Jul-19 10:56:22

Definitely not - why would you? !

Luckygirl Fri 19-Jul-19 11:08:29

Lord no - there has to be some benefit to ageing! Lie back and enjoy it!

Auntieflo Fri 19-Jul-19 11:26:41

Another here who thinks you should be on the comfy bed. Enjoy.

stella1949 Fri 19-Jul-19 11:26:44

Heavens no ! Young people can sleep anywhere - you have no reason to offer them the "good room". Enjoy your Christmas with your family .

fizzers Fri 19-Jul-19 12:03:09

no, keep your nice cosy room

M0nica Fri 19-Jul-19 12:18:17

Why on earth should you feel even remotely guilty? To my mind this almost feeling guilty for the sake of it.

You are older, less flexible and need your sleep. When my DF used to come and stay for Christmas, AD would always give her room to him and sleep on the floor in the study, didn't even need asking. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

Tedber Fri 19-Jul-19 17:34:18

If you asked you son and his wife if they would prefer to sleep in the nice room and you sleep in the cold downstairs one on a put up bed would they say yes? I would like to think they would show you a bit more courtesy and there has to be some perks getting older ha ha.

Absolutely no way would I feel guilty. I could sleep anywhere when I was younger but now I like my comfort.

Happychops Fri 19-Jul-19 17:41:35

Your not being selfish, you sound lovely. Keep the better room as the young don’t notice things like cold etc and they would probably feel guilty letting you sleep in there.
Go enjoy your time but do think about yourself and what you need to be comfortable. Have a good time.

mumofmadboys Fri 19-Jul-19 18:11:45

Isn't it up to your daughter where she chooses to put her guests? Enjoy time with your family

Desdemona Fri 19-Jul-19 18:23:45

Keep the comfy room for sure! smile

Kittye Fri 19-Jul-19 18:25:55

Your son and daughter have probably discussed it already and decided mum should have the best room and rightly so. Enjoy it!

annodomini Fri 19-Jul-19 18:58:30

It would surely embarrass your son and DiL if you gave up the cosy room for them. Grannies need to be near the bathroom and you will need a hideout for that afternoon nap.

sodapop Fri 19-Jul-19 20:08:53

Don't feel guilty kircubbin200 your daughter has organised her guests as kittye says and you should stay in the room allocated to you. There are some benefits which come with age so make the most of it and enjoy yourself.

annep1 Fri 19-Jul-19 20:25:25

Ditto what everyone else has said. ?

kircubbin2000 Fri 19-Jul-19 21:04:47

Great! We are going to stay 3 days as she will be sick of us by then! 3 women in the kitchen won't work.

Peonyrose Sat 20-Jul-19 07:38:40

Just enjoy it.

Tigertooth Sat 20-Jul-19 09:29:31

Keep the nice for sure - younger people sleep anywhere with ease - but do check with your daughter and make sure that you are in your usual room as the same thought re space may have crossed her mind without thinking about the temperature and loo.

luluaugust Sat 20-Jul-19 09:33:39

Enjoy your room, they probably don't want you wandering round the house to find the loo in the middle of the night in case you get mistaken for Father Christmas!

Lupin Sat 20-Jul-19 09:54:51

Enjoy the nice room. They probably wouldn't want you to be uncomfortable. Wishing you happy hols.
Loved your comment LULUAUGUST.

Juicylucy Sat 20-Jul-19 10:12:54

When I go to Oz to visit my family it doesn’t matter who else is staying I’m always given best room. Also stay away from the kitchen, offer to load dish washer or clear up after but let your daughter steer her way through her kitchen. Enjoy your break away.

Apricity Sat 20-Jul-19 10:20:22

Such good advice already offered. Grans are so sensible and have such wisdom, often very hard won. Go with the flow, let your daughter make the decisions about rooms, lie back and enjoy the benefits of age. And most importantly have a lovely Christmas with your family.

olliebeak Sat 20-Jul-19 10:37:41

Stick with the sleeping arrangements that give you the closest room for the 'night-time loo dash' ;-), kircubbin2000. Whenever I stay overnight at my DD's home, my granddaughter offers to take the sofa - but she has a downstairs bathroom ......................... no way would I ever make it safely down the very steep staircase in the middle of the night.

Come the day when she has an upstairs bathroom, I'll certainly grab the opportunity of the comfy bed PLUS a place of privacy for a peaceful 'afternoon retreat/nap' if required ;-).

Margs Sat 20-Jul-19 10:53:58

No, you definitely do not want the other room if it's colder & noisier! The young 'uns can put up with it out of respect for your seniority. Play the Little Old Lady card for all it's worth, I say.

NB: it's not ages until Christmas - it'll be August in less than a fortnight and then it's downhill all the way to Christmas Eve. Just where has the year gone?