Gransnet forums

AIBU

To object to being invited on FB to give money to a charity ?

(53 Posts)
Grammaretto Mon 22-Jul-19 10:53:54

I realise this is a small thing but without being unkind to this "friend" on facebook, whom I see occasionally, how do I deal with this request to give money to her charity in lieu of a birthday gift. I wasn't thinking of giving her a birthday gift
If it was a child of mine or grandchild, ofcourse I would be only too happy to donate but I think this is cheeky or am I just mean?

Parsley3 Thu 25-Jul-19 09:35:56

I almost fell for this when FB generously offered to donate £2 to a charity of my choice on my birthday. I clicked on the link, thinking how kind of them and immediately realised that I was setting up a request to all of my friends ( four at the last count) to donate as well. I cancelled it and suspect that FB make money from this in some way, otherwise why bother? Perhaps your friend was caught up in this too and hasn’t realised what has happened.

MaudLillian Fri 26-Jul-19 23:35:23

No, you are not mean. There is too much asking for donations on Facebook - and too many private messages asking you to do this or that and pass something on and so on, loads of invites to events you haven't time for, and aren't much interested in anyway, it gets very tedious to be bombarded all the time with all of this!!