Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is being over eighty the same as being past it? Discuss.

(76 Posts)
Elegran Thu 25-Jul-19 10:03:13

My eightieth birthday was a couple of months ago. Since then I have discovered that as soon as they hear this, everyone who regarded me just as "in her seventies" and left me to get on with it now treats me as though I am a fragile old lady, physically and mentally.

Now I am not complaining about having my shopping carried, my furniture moved around, or being offered lifts (I don't have a car) but inside I don't feel any different to how I did at fifty, forty, even thirty (maybe a bit older than twenty.) My thoughts are still clear, I can make my own decisions, large and small, can still use basic common sense to avoid following political, medical and dietary crazes or financially ruinous ventures, can still appreciate a handsome charming man while not falling for his blarney, and I still find some things very funny.

I'm no' deid yet!

BradfordLass72 Sat 27-Jul-19 07:26:48

This local woman has just won a Line Dancing competition. I'm told she's well over 80.

NanKate Sat 27-Jul-19 08:11:56

Annodomini I live in the Thames Valley and definitely can confirm I saw you looping the loop over my house. Was it you parachuting down to earth or the pilot ?

Grannyknot Sat 27-Jul-19 08:23:30

Elegran your OP is very good (hope that's not patronising!) And I hope I'm like you at 80.

I just had my 70th, and I also still feel like I did when I was 40. (At 20 I was witless, slightly better at 30. I "got my brains" at around 40 and have stayed there ever since - in my head, of course.) smile

Elegran Sat 27-Jul-19 08:49:22

Grannyknot I don't feel patronised at all, just pleased that my message was clear. There is no magic sell-by date when we are no use any more. We have to use it or lose it, I think, and that applies to legs, fingers, intellect, common sense and everything. If it still works, use it. It if is getting a bit rusty, oil the gears and push it a bit to keep it going as long as possible.

polnan Sat 27-Jul-19 09:10:58

I agree with Gonegirl , at the beginning of this discussion

"past what" I am 83, still think as I did , say 40`s, 50`s.

just a bit slower physically..

and as another poster said.. family think I am invicible.

polnan Sat 27-Jul-19 09:11:22

not quite invisible... but invincible!

rizlett Sat 27-Jul-19 09:12:02

The good thing about getting older is that you yourself don't realise how different you behave due to physical and mental and emotional age related changes but everyone around you does.

Luckily they are often too polite to mention it.

GrandmaMia1 Sat 27-Jul-19 09:16:22

My mother is nearly 95. She refuses to tell anyone her age because she says that when people know they start treating her like a child. She lives alone, still digs her garden, shops, plays bowls despite being almost blind with macular degeneration and extremely deaf. She has more energy that some people a 1/4 of her age. Try not to let those ‘helpful’ people get to you.

Greciangirl Sat 27-Jul-19 09:20:37

Witzend.

Does John Frieda do that spray for darker hair, do you know?

janeainsworth Sat 27-Jul-19 09:25:15

Elegran last night we went to see the Chris Barber Big Band at Whitley Bay.
Sadly Chris, at 88, had been advised by his doctors not to perform because a few days ago he’d had a bad fall.sad
But just before it started, a very old lady was helped to her seat next to me by one of the staff. She was possibly in her nineties.
Her children had bought her the ticket for the concert as s Christmas present because they knew she loved that sort of thing. and she apologised for her late arrival - her taxi had been held up in Newcastle.
We had a chat in the interval and amongst other things she told me she gets a taxi every week from her home in Tynemouth to go to a jazz club in a village near Gateshead.shock
After the concert we offered her a lift home but her taxi was already organised. When we got to the door of the Playhouse, her driver was there holding the door open for her and waiting to help her to the taxi which was parked at the door.
So no, you’re not past it at 80 or even 90!

annsixty Sat 27-Jul-19 09:29:03

I was the one who posted that my family think I am invincible.
This was proved correct when, after reading a thread about drinking enough, on Thursday I said jokingly to my D , I thought she would have been ringing me to check I was ok in the heat and drinking enough, she said , I know I don't need to, I trust your common sense to take care of yourself
Fair enough, but sometimes it would be nice to be cared for a bit more.

janeainsworth Sat 27-Jul-19 09:40:49

Gosh Ann, if any of my DCs rang up advising me to drink more water they’d get a flea in their ear.
Just because your D is sensible enough to realise you can look after yourself, it doesn’t mean she doesn’t care, surely?

ReadyMeals Sat 27-Jul-19 09:44:49

I am still mid-60s but look and act older and already people are being indulgent and helpful to me. I love it!

maddyone Sat 27-Jul-19 09:59:54

I’m in my mid sixties, but I hope I live into my eighties, and if I do, I hope I’m as switched on, busy, and independent as you ladies who are in your eighties.

Nanny41 Sat 27-Jul-19 10:05:48

I dont feel old at all, I am soon 78, BUT went to the Doctor recently and he thinks I may need a hip replacement in the future, guess who felt old coming out of the clinic, but onwards and upwards!
Silver hair,but still sprightly and got all my marbles, people dont believe I am "so old"

Mauriherb Sat 27-Jul-19 10:06:32

My 91 year old Aunt, who was widowed 17 years ago, has recently met an 88 year old widower, and it has given them both a new lease of life. She was lonely and miserable but now she is really happy and it's taken years off her. They are always out and about, its wonderful to see. You're never too old to enjoy life.

Rissybee Sat 27-Jul-19 10:28:19

I’m 74, my hair is white, my hairdresser says no to tint, it’s lovely as it is he says, but from time to time he puts pink or purple bits in. I love it! Young people seem to like it too. I’m pretty active and fit for my age but if people offer me their seat or to lift my bag onto the bus or whatever I smile cheerily and say thank you so much you’re very kind. Good manners and helpful deeds should always be encouraged I say, the day will surely come when I will need them.

Buffy Sat 27-Jul-19 10:37:28

To 'Justme' I too hate it when I'm in London, feeling I look my best and people of all ages offer me seats on the underground or buses. It really ruins my day but I always accept because I know they mean well.

Margs Sat 27-Jul-19 10:38:23

I loathe the automatic assumption that you MUST be losing your marbles by now and therefore need everything explaining: In.Infantile.Detail.As.Loudly.And.Slowly.And.Carefully.As.Possible.

Aaaaarrrrrgh!

blue60 Sat 27-Jul-19 10:38:55

Elegran, you are to be admired. You're only 'past it' if you let it be so.

My mother is in her eighties, has lost her health due to poor dietary choices over many years and is now relatively house bound due to her health condition.

She has missed family events such as weddings and special birthdays.

We can still have meaningful conversations, although irritating at times as I am used as the one to 'moan to' (her words).

I look at her friends who are the same age - they do her shopping for her (I don't live near), take daily walks, do gardening and go on holiday.

I feel sad for her position, envious of but full of admiration for other women her age when I see what might have been possible for her.

I wish you well in your eighties!

Gonegirl Sat 27-Jul-19 10:46:10

And how old are you blue60? Ever think it might be genetic. You have no idea what is in front of you.

Hattiehelga Sat 27-Jul-19 10:47:07

Elegran, I have been pretty vocal about this on another thread this week. We both turned 80 this year. We talked about this only the other day after a very full day out - sorting bank accounts, shopping, all on the hottest day of the year. DH thought we had done very well to get everything done without rushing around and we agreed that age is but a number. Of course we are lucky to be healthy apart from my wonky knee and his shoulder. Just carry on as you always have for as long as you can. Keep mentally alert and aware of the scams doing the rounds. Enjoy life within your means. I am cooking for ten tomorrow, still driving, still having four grandchildren ages 5 - 10 to stay. You are far from past it Elegran - Keep Calm and Carry on !!

Gonegirl Sat 27-Jul-19 10:48:59

I think how you feel in your seventies and eighties could be down to comparison. ie If you didn't do much in your younger days you won't miss what you find it hard to do now.

Can't stand all the self congratulatory comments on this thread.

beautybumble Sat 27-Jul-19 10:49:57

I say 'Good on you' for this huge achievement. I say achievement because many people don't look after themselves enough and then wonder why they're not doing as well as you are. You've obviously got strength in character and strength in physical ability also. I used to know a wonderful lady who was 100 and still calling in on people 20 or 30 years her junior to see if they needed anything. Keep doing whatever it is you're doing and enjoy the attention. x

Witzend Sat 27-Jul-19 10:53:08

I seem to remember years ago older people boasting about their age.
A neighbour of a granny would invariably say, 'Seventy-five! - and everyone says I'm wonderful!'

It turned into something of a family joke.