Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU. Public flogging for garden taste misdemeanors

(213 Posts)
granny4hugs Wed 31-Jul-19 20:20:58

I wanted to start an AIBU thread but it's difficult because I am always so very reasonable about absolutely everything smile
However, I thought of one -
People who lay plastic/synthetic 'grass' in their gardens where I can see, it should be publicly flogged - with strips of synthetic lawn...
AIBU?

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:07:09

Solar lights (or any garden lighting that stays on all the time) affects insects and birds life cycles negatively.

Wind chimes are obnoxous unless you have no neighbours. They are the garden equivalent of hippy shops that burn so much inscense that you cant avoid it just by not going into that shop they waft out onto the street.

I dont mind proper inscense that you get abroad its the awful cheap "flavoured" ones... eugh

FYI I am not a garden vigilante grin these things dont bother me THAT much, but am enjoying the communal moan..

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jul-19 22:09:22

I have a spinning flamingo windmill, some solar lights, a solar smiley face with arms that wave...
Then there's a Buddha head, some lanterns.

I wouldn't mind but I don't even have a garden.

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:09:51

What I like: higgildy pigilty gardens full of intetest. Many would call my taste tacky grin I do not mind tat (eg statues, metal "things" interspersing plants so long as there are plants

My OWN front garden is actually quite dull and ordinary but I plan to build it up

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jul-19 22:11:01

Oh yes, and some garden incense too.
Lemongrass.

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:11:33

Did you know that some people regularly (as in weekly and extensively) BLEACH their gardens! I discovered that this is common practice on facebook housekeeping pages. Just awful!

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:13:00

Oh yes, and some garden incense too.
Lemongrass.

Oh I love fragrant plants. And if you dont like lavender you would HATE my home.

I mean the awful cheap hippy burning stuff that shops that sell ethnic for white people clothing burn

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jul-19 22:14:15

I love lavender.
Its the most lovely relaxing smell ever. smile

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:15:05

Me too. It is a marmite smell but my home is probably quite marmite anyway.

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jul-19 22:17:48

It reminds me of the little lavender bags my mum used to make to put in our drawers (and our drawers, too!)
Great for headaches, pimples, scarring and just generally lovely, is lavender oil.

Minniemoo Wed 31-Jul-19 22:18:26

Lavender doesn't do it for me. But our garden is very 'quirky'. Good word, notanan2. We have lots of odd things ones wouldn't expect. Mirrors, an old spice rack just hanging on the fence, a gnome swinging from a tree, a wall filled with odd things the children have dropped over the years. :ego characters, tiny cars, tiny jam jars etc etc. Tacky many would say but I don't actually care. Our front garden is mainly trees and plants but we do have some oddments in the porch.

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:19:58

I love the sound of your garden Minniemoo and I think mirrors look great in gardens

Minniemoo Wed 31-Jul-19 22:20:33

Thank you, notanan2!

rubysong Wed 31-Jul-19 22:26:28

I confess to a gnome. We found him in an overgrown border when we moved in and named him Norman (after previous owner's late husband). He is now in a more prominent position. He is very 'vintage' with hardly any colour and his head has been glued back on at some point. I hope this information makes him more tasteful and will save me from the flogging with artificial grass!

Mossfarr Wed 31-Jul-19 22:26:34

My neighbours have so many solar lights around their garden its lit up like a fairground every night. I have had to put blackout linings on the bedroom curtains as it was keeping me awake.

They have also recently erected a 'tikki bar' which is like their own beach bar, also covered in lights and sparkly dangly things.

Thankfully they don't have wind chimes any more - I think they got the message after finding them tied up every time it was windy!!

They've got real grass though LOL.

Having said all this they are very good neighbours and we never complain. Each to their own.

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 22:27:05

a gnome swinging from a tree

He may be a crime against taste but hanging is a bit harsh. grin

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:31:05

Solar lights usually give off that awful cold LED light not a nice glow at all. Which leads me on to...

LED lights in general: awful clinical blueish hue. Not nice warm light like traditional bulbs at all!

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 22:44:06

My solar lights are lovely ? the crackle glass ball types, about ten, dotted around, they change colour ( only we can see them.)

Callistemon Wed 31-Jul-19 22:47:12

My solar lights are lovely too, not a bit cold.
No-one else can see ours either.
Well, if they can, they shouldn't be there!

Callistemon Wed 31-Jul-19 22:48:54

I have a lot of what other people call weeds in part of my garden, that's my wildflower area.

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 22:50:46

Ah weeds! Also known as wildflowers ( we have a few of those.)

Chewbacca Wed 31-Jul-19 22:50:54

Those balls of plastic greenery that my neighbours have hanging from brackets at the side of their front door. They're supposed to resemble buxus but look hideous when old and faded.

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 22:58:06

They are horrible Chewbacca and pointless, they dont last any longer than a ready made real hanging basket

SpringyChicken Wed 31-Jul-19 23:07:55

Those box balls fool no one and turn blue in the sun, awful. More wasted plastic to pollute the planet.

SpringyChicken Wed 31-Jul-19 23:10:59

Plastic meerkats - ghastly. And don't get me started on indoor water features.

paddyann Wed 31-Jul-19 23:17:07

I have fake grass in my back garden...nice to see all the haters out AGAIN about it! We have drainage issues ,have spent several thousands of punds over 30 years trying to improve the drainage and grow natural grass.It doesn't happen we get mud and reeds .
Having fake grass means my GD's can play safely out side .We have real grass in the front where there are no issues and trees and flowers and shrubs even some Leylandii ..oops .Plenty of things for the whole township of birds that nest on our ground .Should I go to confession and admit the sin of using fake grass..or just ignore the snobbery disguised as ecological concern ?