Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU. Public flogging for garden taste misdemeanors

(212 Posts)
granny4hugs Wed 31-Jul-19 20:20:58

I wanted to start an AIBU thread but it's difficult because I am always so very reasonable about absolutely everything smile
However, I thought of one -
People who lay plastic/synthetic 'grass' in their gardens where I can see, it should be publicly flogged - with strips of synthetic lawn...
AIBU?

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 20:24:01

Ha Ha! I think I could put up with the sight of artificial grass but wind chimes would do my head in. grin

Tartlet Wed 31-Jul-19 20:24:25

Just a bit.

I can hardly tell the difference between real and artificial grass so I’m not sure why you object to it.

My daughter has had her lawn (which kept being ravaged by her dogs) replaced with artificial stuff and it looks great. I’d have mine done if I could afford it.

Callistemon Wed 31-Jul-19 20:27:09

Ha ha!
Perhaps they should be put into one of those containers such as they have on I'm a Celebrity, full of worms, ants and other insects which birds love to peck up from real lawns, until they submit and promise to rip up the nasty artificial stuff.

Someone round here has wind chimes …..

Septimia Wed 31-Jul-19 20:27:29

I hate plastic grass. However, I have to accept that there are situations where it might be appropriate.

DH has discovered that we should all be letting our lawns grow longer and develop short versions of wild flowers. That's not to say the lawns should be like fields. Apparently we should cut less often and with the mower on a high setting. That way we help the environment by providing flowers for insects and more CO2 capture.

Personally I think DH has found a good excuse for mowing the lawn less often grin.

Callistemon Wed 31-Jul-19 20:28:05

I can hardly tell the difference between real and artificial grass
You're not a hungry bird!!

jura2 Wed 31-Jul-19 20:30:08

granny4- yes, with you all the way x

midgey Wed 31-Jul-19 20:31:34

Wind chimes are a health hazard in my opinion....they make my blood boilgrin.

Callistemon Wed 31-Jul-19 20:33:10

They might be a health hazard for the owner, if I can find out who it is midgey grin

midgey Wed 31-Jul-19 20:37:35

Ha ha Callistemon, I wish I could get rid of the whole industry!

Hetty58 Wed 31-Jul-19 20:39:02

Artificial grass is very realistic now and I can understand why people use it (although personally I still don't like it). They'd probably have paving or decking (another pet hate) instead, though, not real grass, if the idea is to save on labour.

Can I add the horrible Leylandii to the mix? neighbours on both sides have it. This little old lady has to scale ladders to great heights to cut it back and dispose of all the trimmings on a regular basis. Thanks so very much, lovely neighbours!

SparklyGrandma Wed 31-Jul-19 20:40:45

My neighbours on one side have plastic flowers stuck in pots. ?

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jul-19 20:42:05

I'm all for whatever makes life easier for people, and if that includes pretend grass, well, so be it.

Hm999 Wed 31-Jul-19 20:57:00

Some local flats, some of which I suspect are 2nd homes and so not lived in all year, have wonderful tub displays. One ground floor flat, with a glass-fronted balcony, decided to fill (overfill) their tubs with random plastic flowers. Yes, this is a crime against taste.

Btw I think some grass looks fine, but some looks awful (bit like wigs).

Minniemoo Wed 31-Jul-19 20:59:57

Our neighbour has this. I was a bit horrified at first but it's very lifelike and I doubt I'd notice if I didn't know. If that makes sense!

M0nica Wed 31-Jul-19 21:17:24

I can cope with the grass. It is people who pave, gravel and cover their whole garden and leave not a plant in sight that I would consign to a top floor flat in a high rise block with a broken lift.

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 21:24:10

My worst nightmare would be living next door to somebody with teenagers and a trampoline. shock

Hetty58 Wed 31-Jul-19 21:24:38

Next door have the previously mentioned high hedges and grass, that's it. Not a plant of any description. An outdoor room is not a garden!

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 21:32:10

Artificial grass should be banned! Clover lawns grow well (and look great) in more shadey gardens and dont destroy nature corridoors.

Gardens should have some planning stipulation that means they cant be fully paved, decked or covered in plastic!

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jul-19 21:35:25

Well, I'm all for banning gravel.
Its never stays in the gardens but spills all over the pathways.

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 21:36:11

Unless they put plastic gravel grids at the border. Which looks awful.

notanan2 Wed 31-Jul-19 21:40:02

Am not the biggest fan of decking either. When we were house hunting estate agents loved decking. I always said "well that would have to come right up cause Im not a big fan of rats!"

Everyone I know who has moved into a house with decking has had to deal with vermin issues. Some dont make the connection and keep the decking but...

Iam64 Wed 31-Jul-19 21:53:32

I dislike plastic grass and I love windchimes. I have taken to metal poppies and at Christmas bought a silver reindeer, very stylish you know - it’s still in the garden, living happily amongst the phlox. I’m looking at solar lights.....

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 21:59:42

At least gravel can be draining. Hard landscaping, especially in front gardens is responsible for a lot of flooding.

lemongrove Wed 31-Jul-19 22:01:34

I have a windchime ( bamboo) and a metal poppy, solar lights, and a lifelike rabbit ?
However we also have real lawns,a shrubbery and borders,
Trees and many flowering plants, so I have to be forgiven.