Gransnet forums

AIBU

We are NOT ‘you guys’

(156 Posts)
GinJeannie Wed 07-Aug-19 15:08:09

AIBU in absolutely hating being referred to as ‘you guys’? DH and myself really resent being called this. It’s bad enough when staff in shops, hotels, etc use this awful phrase but now I’ve had a text from DD using it. We are her parents, Mum and Dad, a family nickname even, all highly preferable to this. I replied with a request to please not use that phrase for us and did at least get a thumbs up emoji by return! Be interested to hear what other GN feel!

Glammy57 Sat 17-Aug-19 16:07:53

It doesn’t bother me. I’d rather be referred to as “you guys” than “you biddies”!

Lisalou Sat 17-Aug-19 18:00:09

Honestly? I don't give a shit what people call me, as long as the intention is good.

Anthea1948 Sun 18-Aug-19 21:52:25

I don't mind the term at all. Language is evolving and while I don't like some of the changes I am having to accept they happen.

birchermuesli Sun 18-Aug-19 22:48:32

I don't mind 'you guys', makes me feel young! I've noticed that lots of younger people, in Ireland especially, say 'lads' to refer to any group of people of whatever gender. 'Guys' might be passing into linguistic history...

grumppa Sun 18-Aug-19 23:47:44

I can't stand it being used repetitively on TV programmes to a middle-aged couple, but at lunchtime in a pub tne other day the ages in our party ranged from 13 months to 75 years and embraced both sexes. In the circumstances, "you guys" seemed the best solution for the waiter.