Gransnet forums

AIBU

Leggings!

(183 Posts)
Kupari45 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:35:55

AIBU to think that overweight ladies look absurd in leggings and short T shirts?
Just come home after shopping in local town. While waiting for the bus I couldnt help but notice how many ladies wear tight leggings and tight t shirts - some almost look naked- in fact one had pale pink leggings on and looked obscene.
Before some of you shoot me down in flames I will admit to being size 16- but I wear clothes that fit me.!
Apart from looking a mess - surely on a hot day tight polyester isnt very comfortable.
I thought leggings were supposed to be worn under "Tunic Tops"- but apparently not.
This is just an observation- but would be interested in your opinions.

Nanastomant Tue 13-Aug-19 11:47:06

I feel the same I have leggings am a size 20 but make sure my top covers my bum.
Also find it annoying when girls wear mini skirts/dresses but have to keep pulling them down as they walk along

Saggi Tue 13-Aug-19 11:57:35

I’m neatly 70 and wear good fitting leggings with tunic top or long shirt. I’ve a small bum so like to hide it! Eat them 3/4 length with flat pumps...great look!

Saggi Tue 13-Aug-19 11:58:42

....ooops...thats ‘wear them’...you wouldn’t want to eat them would you!?

Alexa Tue 13-Aug-19 12:00:58

Some fast women have magnificent legs and can wear decent quality leggings . Some fat women even have curvy torsos and look fine in small tops, Some thin women look pathetic in tight fitting clothes .So much depends on if your muscles are toned or not.

Hazeld Tue 13-Aug-19 12:32:08

I sometimes wear leggings with long tops/tunic tops but NEVER a t shirt. I don't think they look nice at all even on the younger generation.

ReadyMeals Tue 13-Aug-19 12:36:42

Even some young slim girls are not very toned and their bottom and thighs wobble under the leggings as they walk. I definitely prefer a top that covers bum and upper thighs on most people.

Alexa Tue 13-Aug-19 12:39:56

Hazel, the problem of shirts with leggings is shirts stick out and the little legs hang down underneath them. Would you agree?

4allweknow Tue 13-Aug-19 12:42:18

Some leggings are so thin that when worn by larger females they look see through. Okay if worn with a long shirt or tunic but as trousers with short tee shirt, no way!YANBU

oodles Tue 13-Aug-19 12:43:58

I've taken to leggings in recent years, sometimes under skirts, sometimes under longer tops, while I'm larger than I'd like to be from the top if my legs upwards my legs are not. I tried cheapie ones first but they went saggy quickly and into holes, so eventually I got some mint velvet ones in the sale and they are good, best ones have a little skirt around the bum area, and fit snugly down the legs. While they were dearer than the cheapobmatalan ones they will work out less per wear as they have been washed and worn all winter and still look as good as when I got them. Am sorry for those who can't afford the initial outlay, but don't think that ought to stop me getting them specially in the sale, they are dear if not. One thing I like about them in the winter is being able to wear socks in my boots, I can wear warmer socks in the dead I'd winter or thinner ones and don't need to change as I would if I was wearing tights if I got wet feet.
I don't agree that wearing baggy clothes is most flattering for larger ladies. It's mist flattering to wear well fitting clothes, ideally ones that don't cling too much in plump places but which can be form fitting in other areas, and show that you have got a waist. A well fitting correctly sized bra can make a huge difference to how you look
If I've been out and someone has told me I've got my skirt tucked into my knickers I'm grateful to them for pointing it out, or if there is a label on show. Maybe some people don't have a person who can tell them that their knickers are visible, maybe sometimes if you think the persin might feel embarrassed a quiet word might be kind. Maybe day to the tena lady that maybe get knickers have slipped down cos you can see the TL, or if someone had a period leak she'd not seen. At school we'd all look out for eachother if our slip was showing, anyone remember saying Charlie's dead.
But if it's just fashion, men went through a time when they showed off their Calvin Klein waistbands on their underpants, and women wore things above the trouser top. Shirt lived fortunately
Things change though and things previously unacceptable are ok now, fil thought it was vulgar to have your braces in show, so you'd not have your photo taken with them showing nowadays they are a fashion accessory. Going back centuries men would wear codpieces to draw attention to their genitals and it was accepted in all strata of society, nowadays we'd not think it ok
It used to be unacceptable for women to wear trousers at all, and in my young day girls used to campaign to be allowed trousers at school, now some schools ban skirts. It uses to be unacceptable for men to wear anything but dark dull colours, thank heaven those days are gone

Alexa Tue 13-Aug-19 12:48:20

Oodles, you are right it's all down to cultural values which change. Or ARE changed by the damnable fashion industry.
It was once fashionable for women to look unhealthy and still is according to some model agencies.

GrannyBeek Tue 13-Aug-19 13:12:40

I’ve been wearing leggings for a while with long tops/short(ish) dresses at the suggestion of my DD (style consultant). She also persuaded (i.e. forced) me to try jeggings. I was very surprised to find that they quite suited me as I am pear shaped. I’ve always been very conscious of my back view and love the fact that I can check this easily by standing with my back to the mirror and using my mobile phone camera.

MissAdventure Tue 13-Aug-19 13:17:37

Leggings are cheap and cheerful (or not so cheerful, depending on your point of view)
That's probably why a lot of people wear them.

Really, don't look if you don't like it.

b1zzle Tue 13-Aug-19 13:18:58

I may only be a size 10 but I can't wear them - wouldn't want anyone to witness my knocked knees!

knickas63 Tue 13-Aug-19 13:31:17

I like leggings - but always with lose a tunic that covers my backside, preferably thigh length!

Jacks1 Tue 13-Aug-19 13:31:22

If I wear them it's with a long tunic top but not very often, prefer Jean's or casual tapered trouserd

Hetty58 Tue 13-Aug-19 13:32:14

Very true GagaJo, yet still I have problems with how some people wear leggings. It's not to do with size, rather shape. First, I think most people don't realise that when they bend over, their leggings can become transparent when stretched - not a pretty sight.

Second, they don't seem to check their appearance from a side or rear view in the mirror. if they did, I'm sure they'd wear a longer top.

My sister says that we automatically pull in our tummies and arrange a pleasant facial expression before looking in a mirror. That explains a lot!

margaretmc Tue 13-Aug-19 13:34:40

I think maybe people should stop being so judgemental .Live and let live .

keffie Tue 13-Aug-19 13:54:45

Nothing wrong with leggings worn properly. I'm a bit (well wild) with my colours and dress sense.

However I would not wear anything that didnt enhance my far from perfect figure.

I love leggings with a jersey skirt or/and tunic etc. and my ways accessorizing etc.

Good quality leggings, with in my case bright colours, in with them too leggings are a wardrobe staple to me

nipsmum Tue 13-Aug-19 13:57:59

Oh I don't comment. I just quietly shake my head to myself and never out loud.

Rosina Tue 13-Aug-19 14:06:14

Kupari I have been amazed at some of the latest leggings; several times I have seen young women who look naked from the waist down - absolutely nothing left to the imagination - as the fabric is so sheer and clinging that it looks as if the wearer has the finest possible tights. I do like leggings as they can look smart with a tunic or jacket, and I do have a very live and let live attitude to what others wear - photos of my clothes years ago are quite an eye opener, but I have to say I really don't like the 'naked from a distance' new look that is around right now.

Mistymorningstar Tue 13-Aug-19 14:09:01

Hi there, i am simply stunned at the shapes sizes and ages that wear leggings. I have never worn them as i personally feel they are for long legs and young faces. My next door neighbour is 52 size 24 and she lives in them and looks ridiculous though must admit they are always black - or the same pair, no idea. But then at 72 i also despise tattoos as well on everyone, especially on older ladies. I've always felt that if it doesn't look good on you - don't wear it no matter what the fashion is.

Tillybelle Tue 13-Aug-19 14:11:15

I agree that leggings or even tight trousers can look too revealing on a large lady. I do feel sorry for younger women though who are overweight, possibly have little money to spend on clothes and don't have much dress sense.

I do remember walking behind a young woman who was large and wearing white tight-fitting trousers of a see-through material. Underneath she must have been wearing those thong knickers because both cheeks of her ample bum looked naked and were bulging and thumping around as she walked. I was mortified for her. But it is not easy being hard-up and young and overweight. Bad enough being old and overweight but we seem to have grasped some basics on how to cover ourselves better by the time we get this age.

I strongly believe, despite my not liking the look of some styles people wear, that people are entitled to wear what they choose without censure from the older generation. I think we can be a bit too hard on the younger ones regarding such things as their dress choices. I do know that being on a low income, with children to look after, is not easy at this time and having to dress up to please the standards of some oldies who think you look embarrassing is the last thing these lasses need right now.

I like to wear leggings but always with a long top. Even some tunics are not long enough for my liking, even though I've never had a particularly big bum. I am not overweight but my problem is a large bust. It has been the bugbear of my life since I was about 16. I hate it.

Guineagirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:11:31

Worn appropriately I think they are very comfy especially with my Lichen Sclerosus but agree about bum and belly on show yuk. I wear them with long tops or blouses and they look smart especially for cycling. Maybe as they are tight some women who don’t look good in them think they are slimming lol

Guineagirl Tue 13-Aug-19 14:12:33

What about leggings and women bursting out of tight vest tops coupled with leggings

oodles Tue 13-Aug-19 14:14:42

keffie, where do you get your bright coloured good quality leggings from? The ones I've got are black, grey, dark brown, one thing with the cheaper leggings I liked was that they did come in more colours

One thing I don't get though is why people make such a fuss about burkinis, saying that women should wear swimming cossies, you're over here now dress as we do, how nasty the French are about them gets me, in public I'm happiest if I'ma bit covered up, these days, and if you're covered up less chance of getting sunburnt. I've had criticism myself for wearing shawls and scarves to avoid sunburn on the beach. Honestly, in our grandmothers' young day women wore concealing garments at the beach, it's not that unBritish. And wetsuits are a bit like a burkini and they are ok. In the days of the Raj, Memsahibs didn't dress in Indian clothes, they dressed much like they'd have done at home.
As I grow older I try and avoid clothes that make me think of old ladies, as I feel they're ageing, but neither do I wear the latest fashions, but that's just me and I think over the years I've become more aware how things look on me