Gransnet forums

AIBU

I'm disappointed

(60 Posts)
Jane10 Tue 20-Aug-19 15:57:36

Halloween hasn't changed dates! It was predictable that a family with young children would be occupied that weekend.
Are you flying from UK?

yogagran Tue 20-Aug-19 15:43:49

day6 my flights were booked in June after what I thought was discussions about the best days!
It's actually cheaper cancelling the flights than altering them

yogagran Tue 20-Aug-19 15:41:51

scribbles that's not a typo, it's the American / Canadian way of "celebrating" Halloween. It goes on for weeks and is everywhere. Grumpy old misery me hates Halloween!

Day6 Tue 20-Aug-19 15:40:25

I'd be disappointed to find the family were going camping when you arrived. Was there any discussion about the best time for you to stay with them?

Surely they knew you were coming that weekend and would have discussed a change of plan with you before making their camping arrangements Sounds very strange - like a lack of communication.

You are fitting a lot in to a very short break in Canada. I wouldn't like a Halloween weekend either. I don't celebrate Halloween and I wouldn't fancy camping either. Could you change your dates so that you see them the weekend before or afterwards? I imagine that would be tricky though if flights etc have been paid for. They sound a tad thoughtless. I'd be hurt that I'd not been consulted.

Hope you can work something out. flowers

yogagran Tue 20-Aug-19 15:40:11

crazyH I always do a very short trip (it's not a holiday or sightseeing visit) it's just to catch up with the family there. I've done that for the last ten years, luckily I never have jet lag

yogagran Tue 20-Aug-19 15:37:56

septima that won't work as I'm flying out on Thursday (weekend with DS) then fly home the following Wednesday

Scribbles Tue 20-Aug-19 15:16:31

Your trip is at the beginning of October? But Halloween is at the end of October! Was this a typo or is there something odd going on here?

crazyH Tue 20-Aug-19 15:07:27

Wouldn't suit me - why are you going for just a week? Gosh I couldn't do that. It would take me a day each to get over the flights itself and then , camping. No Thankyou. I wouldn't go, unless you are a seasoned and strong traveller . Hope it's all sorted for you .

Septimia Tue 20-Aug-19 15:02:21

Can you change your booking? If so, how about spending 3 days with your brother first, then the next weekend with your DS?

The hallowe'en camping wouldn't suit me either - for the hallowe'en events rather than the caravan.

yogagran Tue 20-Aug-19 13:33:03

I had been planning a visit to see my DS in Canada at the beginning of October. I was going to spend the weekend with him and his family (both parents work & kids at school so weekend is the best time). All flights booked several weeks ago and now I get a WhatsApp from him saying that, on checking the diary, they realise that they have a Halloween weekend campsite booked for that weekend, trick & treating, pumpkin carving etc. Plus they have booked a pitch for their trailer near some friends that are also going. "How you you feel about that" he asks.
I'm really disappointed as I was hoping to spend time with them and halloween is really not my thing, neither is spending the weekend in a caravan.
My plan was that I would spend the weekend with DS then go on to see my brother on the Sunday evening and stay with them for three days then home again. My previous trips to Canada have always been for less than a week as that works best for me. Three days with my DS and three days with my brother.
My question is what would you do?