Gransnet forums

AIBU

Speaking of other halves ...

(132 Posts)
Ninarosa Thu 22-Aug-19 19:04:44

Do any of you lovely ladies have a secret ' leaving ' fund ?
I have, although it's woefully small as I can't seem to stop buying Gabor shoes.
Serious/not serious question !

Esther1 Sun 17-Nov-19 13:08:21

My DH has always been the main earner and managed our finances happily enough and I was happy to leave it all to him. We are equally relaxed about spending. However, now, with age, and perhaps a little more serious, he is just not able to manage financial issues, so gradually, and to a point secretly, to save his pride, I have taken over everything. He has no idea how much money we have, and it wouldn’t occur to him to think how we will manage if we need to start paying for Care in the future. It’s a sobering thought but one I must shoulder alone - although I am truly blessed with helpful and kind children to help me.

BBbevan Sun 17-Nov-19 17:48:34

lemongrove I can't have Maltesers ( diabetic ) But I will happily watch DH eat my share ?

TrendyNannie6 Fri 06-Dec-19 16:35:20

I suppose it is notanan2 I have my own money but It certainly isn’t a leaving account

Grandad1943 Sat 07-Dec-19 12:46:39

BBbevan Quote [ Never ever thought about it or needed an escape fund. We have been together for58 years. Married 55. We share most everything, money, decisions, even ironing and cooking. We are the best of friends and enjoy each other's company. Why would I need to escape?] End Quote?

The above is exactly how me and my wife Carol are. We have been married for fifty-one years and known each other for fifty-three years.

When at some point in the future I eventually arrive at the pearly gates, and I am asked what I would wish for, I will reply "can I go back down and have the exact the same life again, including marrying the best girl this world has ever produced."

I would not wish to change a thing in Carol. She has her own income from our business but that is for tax purposes etc, outside of that everything is jointly shared and always has been, and always will be.

Rufus2 Sun 08-Dec-19 07:54:10

We share most everything
BB That reminds me of a GreatNan's joke about an elderly ;couple dining in Maccas When the lady was asked why she wasn't eating she replied that it was his turn for the teeth grin

NanKate Sun 08-Dec-19 08:16:53

My mum told me to have my own stash of money for emergencies. I followed her good advice IMO. My friend was horrified when I told her, however she had a few bad times with her DH and she admits she had no money, he took the car keys as well and she had no means if escape.

Fortunately in 48 years I haven’t had to resort to it.