Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is she my sister or not?

(102 Posts)
Celeste21 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:40:49

Can a blue eyed father and hazel eyed mother produce children with four different eye colours? I have for years thought my “ sister “ is not a full sibling. My eldest brother has green eyes, I and another brother have blue. And a third brother has hazel then along comes the sister with dark almost black eyes plus slightly darker skin tone and very wavy dark hair when the rest of us are fairer with straight hair. One of my first memories is my mother telling every visitor “ you wouldn’t think they were sisters would you” ( my hair was platinum blonde until I was about five ), almost as if she were preempting awkward questions. My family are estranged so I can’t really talk to anyone about this. Please tell me what you think.

gilld69 Fri 30-Aug-19 10:01:36

My dd has hazel eyes my sil has blue 2 of my dgc have brown eyes and 1 has blue,

Tigertooth Fri 30-Aug-19 10:09:04

DH and I both have very Green eyes
2 of our children have blue, 1 brown and 1 green.
I think anything is possible - just further back in the family ancestry.
I agree - it doesn’t matter.

Witchypoo Fri 30-Aug-19 10:09:17

Know a family where six children looked "normal" then the seventh was very dark skinned with tight curly hair. Turned out three or four generations ago the mothers side a white man had married a black woman. Over the years they came to look pale skinned and this child was a throw back of genes. Most people think she is adopted or fostered but she is a full blown member of the family. The children see her as their sister and are fiercely protective of her.

jaylucy Fri 30-Aug-19 10:10:06

Genetical colouring can come from more than just your parents
I would guess that several generations back you may well find there is a grand parent times x that originally hailed or had non English ancestry that family lore has forgotten all about!

blondenana Fri 30-Aug-19 10:35:12

When i was in hospital having my twins who are identical, a lady had twin girls who looked nothing alike,one was very petite and had black hair,the other one was a big baby with bright ginger hair, you wouldn't even think they were sisters never mind twins
All my children have different coloured eyes,from brown to blue, i have hazel eyes, my son with brilliant blue eyes must get them his fathers side. who mostly have blue eyes,but his father also has hazel eyes,otherwise double of his dad

Hm999 Fri 30-Aug-19 10:37:58

Isn't it important to take into consideration the eye colour of the grandparents? And do you remember the mixed race girl twins, one looked like white parent (blonde hair, blue eyes) the other had dark skin, dark hair.

Buttonjugs Fri 30-Aug-19 10:44:18

With my first husband - we were both brown eyed but all three boys had blue eyes. I then married a blue eyed man and had a son with brown eyes! It’s always bemused me.

GuestCorrectly Fri 30-Aug-19 10:46:57

Even with the dominant brown eye theory ( now as others have mentioned not so reliable) bear in mind that hazel eyes may once have been much darker. My husband had brown eyes when we married, but now they are very definitely lighter and probably better described as hazel.

Patticake123 Fri 30-Aug-19 10:51:43

My grandchildren from one family have a brown eyed father and an almost black eyed mother. One child has beautiful light brown eyes and dark brown hair the other, the biggest bright blue eyes and golden blonde hair. Facially they are dissimilar, but one looks like Mum’s side of the family and the other like Dad’s. Genetics are a subject all of their own!

Theoddbird Fri 30-Aug-19 11:01:05

Surely she is your sister...whoever the father's are you came from the same mother. This makes you sisters. Oh my sister had black hair and green eyes. I was blond when young and have blue eyes. Parents ...mother brown eyed and father grey eyed. My two brothers...Brown eyed...one was black haired one blond. Please don't worry about it....she is your sister...love her.

Jillybird Fri 30-Aug-19 11:15:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

moggie57 Fri 30-Aug-19 11:38:37

i am the only sibling with dark hair and brown eyes. brother and sister are fair haired and eyes different colour too.i even looked up my birth details make sure i wasnt adopted .my mum was adopted though,and now i know where my darkness comes from ...

Summerlove Fri 30-Aug-19 11:40:47

IMost people think she is adopted or fostered but she is a full blown member of the family. The children see her as their sister and are fiercely protective of her.*.
As a point of education, an adopted person is a full blown member of the family. To suggest otherwise is horribly cruel

Apricity Fri 30-Aug-19 12:09:27

The inheritance of eye colour is much more complex than most people think. There may well be reasons to ask or consider questions in your family but please don't draw any firm conclusions based on an incomplete or inaccurate understanding of a very complex area of genetics. You may never have the answers you seek unless all parties consented to genetic testing which sounds unlikely in the circumstances you describe. You may need to live with unanswered questions. Life can be so messy at times. ?

Deni1963 Fri 30-Aug-19 12:34:46

My father had blue eyes, my mother brown and my sister and I have gren eyes.

GreenGran78 Fri 30-Aug-19 12:51:08

We were told that the father of our dark haired/brown eyed adopted daughter had bright red hair. We used to tease her that she might have a ginger baby, because she’s not keen on redheads. Both her children look just like her.
I am longing to see if the red hair pops up in the next generation, and hope that I live to see it.

Summerstorm Fri 30-Aug-19 13:38:19

I have non identical twins that are like chalk and cheese in every way including personality. However there is a definite likeness between all 4 of my children one twin is very like her younger brother. There is a lot to the saying “you can choose your friends but your stuck with your family” whether you like them or not

4allweknow Fri 30-Aug-19 13:41:24

There may well be some different colourings way back in either of the families. I have a Italian friend who showed me a family photo (about 40 individuals) with all but one the typical Italian colouring. The one dead centre in the picture had bright red hair and blue eyes. Where did they come from, 4 grandparents ago, one had married British female who had dark hair but blue eyes. First time they had shown up in fanily.

Jani31 Fri 30-Aug-19 13:42:48

We have just found out that my late husband shares the same mother, but not father with his brother, they looked so alike. My sister's outlaws have a distant line to the slaves from Africa, they are waiting for it show in one of the children as it will do one day.

4allweknow Fri 30-Aug-19 14:43:12

The fact one was female and one male just means they were conceived from two eggs at the same time just as there can be two female or two males born at the same time but look nothing like one another, just brothers or sisters. Dizygotic twins in fact. The twins who look the same are monozygotic twins, from one egg.

Pat1949 Fri 30-Aug-19 16:37:08

My mum and dad had brown eyes , I have blue. My husband has brown eyes our children have grey eyes, blues eyes and hazel eyes. It's a fallacy that two brown eyed parents can't have a brown eyed child, it's unusual but not impossible. If I were you I wouldn't even think about your sister being an half sister, just take it that she is your sister.

Saggi Fri 30-Aug-19 16:54:16

Does it matter! You love her..you’ve grown up with her... she’s your sister. One of my brothers’ had different father. Far as were all concerned he’s our brother ..end of... even my father gave him both his Christian names. Leave it!

lilydily9 Fri 30-Aug-19 17:00:58

Nothing to do with the colour of eyes but I was the only one in my family to have a dimple in the chin. My sister always said mum must have collected the wrong baby from the hospital. Neither of my parents said anything. It was only when I was in my mid 40's that I discovered that I had been adopted!

sandelf Fri 30-Aug-19 17:17:42

Do you know the physical characteristics/gait of all your grandparents and their offspring? In my husband's family there is clearly a 'very tall, thin, shadow under eyes' trait - never comes out in females and only seems to show every other generation - but it is an unmistakable 'look'. Since I noticed this I've seen other 'tells' - so maybe eye colour is not quite as simple as we've been told. - Or you may be right but how would you know and would the knowledge affect anything...

Tillybelle Fri 30-Aug-19 17:30:32

My late husband had pale brown, what I think is hazel eyes, mine are grey with a fleck or two of blue. My three daughters are; 1; quite dark brown eyes, 2; grey eyes no flecks, 3; green eyes.

They all have the same father!!