Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is she my sister or not?

(102 Posts)
Celeste21 Thu 29-Aug-19 10:40:49

Can a blue eyed father and hazel eyed mother produce children with four different eye colours? I have for years thought my “ sister “ is not a full sibling. My eldest brother has green eyes, I and another brother have blue. And a third brother has hazel then along comes the sister with dark almost black eyes plus slightly darker skin tone and very wavy dark hair when the rest of us are fairer with straight hair. One of my first memories is my mother telling every visitor “ you wouldn’t think they were sisters would you” ( my hair was platinum blonde until I was about five ), almost as if she were preempting awkward questions. My family are estranged so I can’t really talk to anyone about this. Please tell me what you think.

BlueBelle Fri 30-Aug-19 17:43:07

saggi you haven’t read the post the poster says she doesn’t love her sister and doesn’t really want her to be her sister
Wishful thinking I m guessing

Tillybelle Fri 30-Aug-19 18:05:43

Pat1949. Exactly

pce612 Fri 30-Aug-19 18:57:52

Apparently, genes for hair, skin, eye etc colour can 'hide' for generations then surprise us with what pops out.
My mother had black hair, my father was ash blonde - I came out bright carrot!
One sister was mousey, one had dark brown hair and my brother takes after his father.

pce612 Fri 30-Aug-19 19:01:03

Meant to add that she is your sister whatever she looks like; you don't have to like her but she can't help what she looks like.

Ooeyisit Fri 30-Aug-19 20:21:42

My twins are blonde ,my daughter dark ,my youngest red head . Same parents ,

Solonge Fri 30-Aug-19 20:37:33

Goodness....I have hazel eyes...my husband green eyes. Our two sons have blue eyes and my daughter brown eyes. You are simplifying too much without the required knowledge of genetics. My father and my husbands father both had blue eyes and my mother and grandmother had brown eyes. Its not uncommon for a white skinned, blonde, blue eyed husband and wife to have four children sharing the same fair genes as their parents then along comes a child clearly of mixed race with dark brown eyes, black hair and coffee skin. This can be a genetic throw back three or more generations ago and can and has wrecked families because of misunderstand. Probably the only way to convince you will be a DNA test, but that could be a difficult conversation with your sister.

Drwatfam Fri 30-Aug-19 21:51:56

I ( used to ) have almost black hair but pale skin and Hazel eyes.
My husband is a " ginger " . Bright red hair & bright blue eyes.
We have 4 adult kids.
1 with my black hair, light skin and dark brown eyes , 1 with lighter brown hair and hazel eyes ; 1 a strawberry blonde/ginger with loads'of freckles and green eyes.
Eventually, along came number 4 . A proper , beautiful vibrant red head with bright blue eyes and absolutely no melanin in her skin at all. Not a freckle, nothing .
I find genetic mixing fascinating.
Eldest daughter ( the lighter brown hair and hazel eye one ) is married to a gorgeous young man from southern India . He is a handsome chap with beautiful mahogany skin.
Their 2 little ones are gorgeous but so different. The 2 year old girl is Daddy's double . You would never know she had a white mummy. A really beautiful " indian princess "
Baby boy , age 4 months has dark hair and dark brown eyes but pale skin ...and he looks exactly like me at the same age. Poor bairn ! ( hes gorgeous) .

Rosina Fri 30-Aug-19 22:10:58

I had a friend years ago whose entire family looked Scandinavian - blue eyes, light blond hair, pale skin. (Think Boris Johnson and co!) She had darker skin and a mop of very tightly curled fairish brown hair - a good deal darker in tone than her parents and siblings. She discovered some years later that way back in her family there was an African - and her 'difference' was due to that person.

Chaitriona Sat 31-Aug-19 07:13:39

I noticed everyone saying that what was important was that you loved your sister, Celeste. And I thought to myself, “But this lady has said that her family are estranged”. Has nobody noticed that? My daughter’s friend looked very different from her younger brothers and sisters and it turned out she was not her father’s genetic daughter though he had brought her up from a baby and both her parents loved her a lot. But she felt more and more uneasy as she got older and eventually her aunt revealed the truth when she was a teenager. Or perhaps a part of it as there still seemed some mystery about her genetic father and how her mother had become pregnant. It was quite disturbing for her. And she went off the rails for a bit. Though it was teenage time. So these things can happen. Though it may be wishful thinking on your part as you suggest. Not all families are sweetness and light. In fact in the best of families there are tensions and strains. How could it not be so? I’m sorry you have had unhappiness in your family. It is perhaps late in life to resolve it. But I hope you will find a way of finding peace for yourself.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 07:40:23

Yes chaitriona I spoke about it further up I think a lot of folk just read the original post and zoom down to answer

you do need to read original posters subsequent answers even if you haven’t time to read all the posts

Esspee Sat 31-Aug-19 08:03:08

Celeste. I know of twin boys where one was black with Afro hair just like his mum and the other pale skinned with blond hair like his dad. Stop trying to second guess your sister's origins. If she is a half sister genetically it reflects on your mother, certainly not your sister.
You don't like her, that's sad. Move on, she doesn't need you if that's your attitude.

discodiva Sat 31-Aug-19 09:03:42

Well Celeste21 in answer to your question yes! I'm hazel eyed, DH has blue eyes and we have one daughter who has brown eyes and the other, one blue and one brown! Yes one of each and she looks stunning with it.

However NanaandGrampy has it right - does it really matter? She's your sister, and she always will be.

BlueBelle Sat 31-Aug-19 09:29:17

discodiva but she doesn’t like her and doesn’t want her to be her sister she’s looking for reassurance that she’s not which isn’t happening because she probably is but whether she is or she’s not is irrelevant cos they’re seemingly estranged anyway

AlexG Sat 31-Aug-19 10:16:51

My mother had three children then was widowed in the war. My father had one daughter then his wife died when the baby was little, again during the war. My parents met when they lived opposite each other and were walking children to school. They married and ten months later had me. So I have four half siblings but they are my sisters and brothers. Not half. I was brought up with them and they are mine. None of us care (or in fact even bother to tell people) that we are halves. If you were brought up with your sister then it doesn't matter if you shared a father or her father was the coalman, you are sisters all the way. I totally agree with NanaandGrampy.

clementine Sat 31-Aug-19 15:15:42

My daughter and son in law both have dark almost black straight hair, and brown /grey eyes respectively . Their son has the brightest blue eyes I have ever seen, and a real red curly head . Genetics are amazing .

Hetty58 Sat 31-Aug-19 15:28:34

Celeste, yes, genetically, your sister could well be a full sibling. What a strange thing to worry about!

gallusquine Sat 31-Aug-19 15:47:21

Celeste21 - when my mother died I found out that the person who I had always been told was her sister was actually her daughter. My grandparents adopted her and raised her as their daughter. My mother went on to meet my Dad and together they had my brother and I.
My mother and my half sister ( I'm not sure what I feel comfortable calling her ) were always very close, much closer that my mother and I, although they were estranged by the time my mother passed. They also looked very alike whereas I looked like my Dads family.
These secrets and lies wrecked havoc on my childhood. Finding out the truth helped me start to
make sense of many things in my upbringing. Unfortunately I found out the truth to late to have a conversation with my parents.

stewaris Sat 31-Aug-19 21:15:55

My mother, my sister and my son were/are very olive skinned. We come from Irish stock and half the world stopped off in Ireland on the way to batter life. My mother, especially, took such a dark tan in the summer it wouldn't surprise me if there was Spanish, Italian or possibly African blood in us way back. All the rest of the family have the classic Irish colouring - pale skinned, blue eyed and dark brown/black hair. Humans are a mongrel race and I find the genetics of it all quite interesting in speculating where, and who, we come from.

Magrithea Sun 01-Sep-19 15:07:43

I was adopted but everyone says I look like my late father! All my siblings - 3 brothers, one adopted like me and two of my parent's natural children - have blue eyes and fair/ginger hair while I have brown eyes and (did) have dark hair.

If she's always been your sister, does it matter what her parentage is?

dirgni Sun 01-Sep-19 20:20:50

Both my son and his wife have blue eyes and my grandson has brown like my husband!

abbey Sun 01-Sep-19 20:54:08

Both my parents had blue eyes. My grandfather ( maternal) had blue eyes and my paternal grandparents ( both) had blue eyes. They all had blonde hair. I have blonde hair too - it is very light blonde like my father had.

My eyes are hazel now. A very clear light hazel. They changed colour when I was in my twenties ( not sure quite when, I just looked in a mirror one day and noticed it!). Before that they were the deepest brown brandy balls you could imagine. I have pictures showing this.

My maternal grandmother had the same brown eyes - and she had dark hair. My mother had dark hair like her. However, my aunt like me was a blonde with brown eyes that turned hazel in adulthood.

Yvo12 Thu 19-Sep-19 09:08:31

I think: why on earth does it matter unless you're planning on challenging a possible inheritance.

Rebellious Wed 25-Sep-19 19:23:56

I really don't like when people say half sister. That is your sister, not 50% of one and of less value if she had a different father. I hope this is not coming from some strain on the relationship between you both. My children are all very different, interesting combination of genes, that's all.

abbey Fri 27-Sep-19 11:49:46

Rebellious - I hate to disagree but I have a half brother and I see him as precisely that. The law also differentiates as I found out when my aunt ( my mothers sister) passed away childless and her inheritance came to me. It did not come to me and my half brother because he was not related to my mother. He was a child of my father and a second wife.

Now you may deem me a selfish cow and unfair and all the rest of it. I cant say as I care anymore on those scores. I am beginning to feel very badly toward many people in the world these days. You cannot make people like families or accept them. I dont particularly like my brother or his offspring.

Now maybe you get the picture of how half siblings are not the same as brother or sister.

crazyH Fri 27-Sep-19 11:57:56

Really Celeste, don't worry too much about all that. You say you are estranged from your family - why is the eye colour bothering you now ? Just get on with your life... make the best of everything. Good luck !