Gransnet forums

AIBU

£126 Million, we can dream.

(80 Posts)
mokryna Thu 05-Sep-19 08:20:59

What would you suggest on how to spend/share it with family/friends or others.

DoraMarr Wed 18-Sep-19 09:16:52

Oh dear, I must be very selfish, my first thought was that I would be able to travel anywhere first class with a brand new suitcase full of gorgeous clothes! I read about a study that said that people who win large amounts are happier if they change their lives just a bit- from a semi to a bigger house, say, in their familiar neighbourhood. I know someone who won millions, and they did just this: making their lives and the lives of their immediate family more comfortable, but not taking them away from familiar schools, friendship groups and activities. Fifteen years on the family is close, they have interesting but not overly expensive holidays, the children have done well and have jobs they enjoy, and they all have good nest- eggs for later life.

Granarchist Wed 18-Sep-19 08:55:45

I read an article about the lottery once that said the vast majority of big time winners thought of helping friends and family and charities as their first priority - heartwarming that their own needs and desires come second to that of others

rosemarigold Wed 18-Sep-19 05:22:53

Re love beige cardigans....that's intriguing - so do I but other people....not so much!

Beckett Sat 14-Sep-19 10:24:19

I know exactly what I would do - provide something which has been needed in my city for a long time. I would buy a large building in the centre of town, equip it with showers, toilets and a kitchen and open it up to all the homeless in the city who have nowhere to go during the day. Those lucky enough to find a bed in a hostel for the night have to be out by 7.30 a.m. and cannot return until 9.30 p.m.

I would also buy a second building and bring it up to the health and safety standard to provide as many beds as possible for the homeless. I would employ ex-service personnel to run them who seem to have been let down by all governments once they leave the services.

If there was anything left over I would help nephews and nieces with their mortgages and then take a round the world cruise!

Fiachna50 Sat 14-Sep-19 09:59:04

I would not want that amount of money, your life would never be the same. If you like the area you live in, you could not continue to live there as I think you would be in constant fear of break-ins. Most of the people Ive observed who win that amount of money, their relationships either with partners, spouses etc never seem to last. When you go out with friends who pays? Would people expect you to pay all the time? Friends would feel uncomfortable if you did this but others may expect you to. If ever I won a large amount of money, I would stay completely anonymous. Lets just say I would have certain people reappearing in my life and there is no way I want that happening. As it is I dont do any lotteries. If I won a large amount, I would donate to some hospices, Thyroid UK and MND, particularly in the areas of research for the last two. Buy property for my adult children, trust fund for grandchild. Go a cruise and buy a little place near or in Inverness. I would also like to go on the Orient Express. I would not want £126 million-no way. Everyone would treat you differently.

Callistemon Sat 14-Sep-19 03:24:25

Jennifer I think when it gets over a certain amount it should be split too.

I could handle £1million - or two.
But £126 million?

JenniferEccles Fri 13-Sep-19 12:50:41

Interestingly I was in a newsagents a while back, behind a man buying a lottery ticket when again, there was a huge pot to be won.

The customer mentioned that he only ever bought tickets when there was a massive amount to be won, so when he left I asked the newsagent if he sold more tickets when the prize was huge.

The answer was yes, his sales go up a lot. He said people tend to believe that they have more chance of winning when it is many many millions, and he didn't set them straight!

As others have said, it would be far better in this case to allow 126 folk to win one million each.

Ok we all know that a million these days doesn't mean we would be wealthy, but it would certainly help most people to lead more comfortable lives if they were careful with it.

Margs Thu 12-Sep-19 13:03:19

Marks & Sparks ready meals. Love 'em.

MiniMoon Mon 09-Sep-19 22:38:25

Buy my DC their own properties. My DD need a a bigger house, not an overpriced rental.
DH and I would buy a bungalow suitable for us to live in for the rest of our lives.
Put enough by to live comfortably.
After that, the rest would go to charity.

JohnD Mon 09-Sep-19 22:09:21

Clear family debts and see them housed appropiately. Set up accounts for my great grand kids, not able to activate until 25yo. Get rest in cash and spend 6months counting it.
Seriously, 50% would go to charity.

Grandmama Fri 06-Sep-19 19:08:55

Not likely to be a problem for DH and me - we don't do the lottery, mainly in case we win! It would be horrendous.

Pippa22 Fri 06-Sep-19 13:05:29

Ellen Vannin, where do you live ? It must be a very small country if you could give everyone a million and still have some left over. Think you must have learnt maths with Diane Abbott !! ?

Anniebach Fri 06-Sep-19 09:13:04

No way would I want it.

harrigran Fri 06-Sep-19 08:39:33

I would avoid giving to the large charities, they already pay themselves obscene salaries.
I would donate to my local hospital with the express instructions to update the Urology department which DH claims is like a cattle market.
Everyone I know has a decent home so I think I would donate money to a student hardship fund, DS and DIL did that when they married instead of having wedding gifts.

mokryna Fri 06-Sep-19 07:52:47

We can all dream and I loved reading all your ideas. Mine will crash at 8.30 this evening until the next time I buy a ticket. My family laugh at my little game, however I don't spend on other things.
When I do think the scenario through I do the same problem as lovebeigecardigans1955 that is, if I gave a large sum of money to the family it could it do more good than bad.

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 23:46:52

CBBL
The NHS does incomparable healthcare. It's a shame you don't think so.

GabriellaG54 Thu 05-Sep-19 23:43:49

As I don't actually need anything, a racing yard would be interesting to have.

52bright Thu 05-Sep-19 22:36:12

2 sets of good friends would instantly become millionaires
Daughter and husband would be double millionaires so they could decide what they wanted to do themselves.
Several family/friends would have their mortgages paid off.
Trust funds and best education possible for grandchildren.
Mother a millionaire. At 88 maybe not much time to spend it but she would have a ball and would have her own ideas about who she would help as well.
Lovely new home for us with lots of travel.

The rest to a range of charities and a hostel for the homeless with proper addiction support, mental health support and proper, focused support towards jobs and housing in my home city.

BradfordLass72 Thu 05-Sep-19 22:25:42

I don't waste money on lottery and I already live the dream in New Zealand but if I had the dosh, I'd be selfish and buy a small farm or a 'lifestyle block' and go back to the rural life I love.
Currently I live in the outer suburbs but only because I have to.

The farm would have a house and a 'granny flat' which would accommodate a handyperson-chauffeur so I could be driven wherever and whenever I wanted.

Both my sons have good jobs but I'd put some money in trust for my grand-daughter who wouldn't be spoiled by it as she's already 26 and a hard-working, level-headed lassie.

I would certainly support The Backbone Collective and set up a fund to help women and children who go through the appallingly corrupt Family Court system here. (currently there are 2 separate Enquiries - which may change things)

And I'd try to make sure every elderly person, of any culture, had decent, warm, dry, secure housing.

I come into contact with so many people in genuine need and to whom $126 would make a vast difference, let alone 126 million but handing out money is, in 99.9% of case, not what they want. They want and need solutions and self-respect and if able, decent work so they can pick up their lives.

shirleyhick Thu 05-Sep-19 21:16:54

Get my children a house each and a nice bungalow for me and the dogs. I would give loads to all different animal charities. I would not go public with my win. Not that I will ever win as I only do Hot Picks on lotto.

Grannyben Thu 05-Sep-19 19:22:08

I live 5 minutes from the sea but, if I had the money I would love a property right on the seafront. I can't think of anything nicer than waking up every morning to a different view. Obviously, family, friends and those in need would be on my list for helping if I had the funds

CBBL Thu 05-Sep-19 17:49:46

Emigrate to New Zealand, after giving family, friends and a fairly large selection of charities, a goodly sum to help out. My hubby and I would love to go back there (we went for our honeymoon). Now in our 70's, and in poor health, with no children - the fresh air would help him with his Asthma, and we could afford really good health care to resolve or at least minimise our raft of health issues.

Daddima Thu 05-Sep-19 17:24:08

Also forgot I’d buy and renovate the boarded up shops in our wee village, cover the bills for the first year , then let people who want to start a small business have the first year rent free, just to rejuvenate our once attractive main street.

PamelaJ1 Thu 05-Sep-19 17:21:08

Well, I probably only NEED about 10million.

I would take my winnings to a bank in London, Coutts or another one that is used to dealing with rich folk like me.

Open an account under a nom de plume. You can do this as long as the bank knows it’s all above board. Then I’d send all of my and DH’s siblings a million each. The two families have nothing to do with each other so wouldn’t see the connection.
We’d keep the rest and make sure our children were helped.

Then the balance has to be put to work.
I’ve got loads of ideas, a working environment for young people with learning difficulties, really nice retirement units with accommodation for a full time manager, a very well equipped and staffed nursery to help to give youngsters in a deprived area a good start in life. The list is endless and I am aware that I would have to choose.

This would hopefully do some good and give me a purpose.

crazyH Thu 05-Sep-19 17:07:06

Sell my house. Buy a bungalow for myself. Keep a small amount to cushion myself . The rest will be divided between my 3 children with specific instructions that it goes towards paying off their mortgage and not on frivolities.