Gransnet forums

AIBU

What Would You Do

(130 Posts)
lucyinthesky Mon 09-Sep-19 10:24:29

Sorry in advance for longish post but don't want to dripfeed. This is really a WWYD as I would welcome advice. This is rather a first world problem I know but it is affecting my relationship with my DD and OH.

For the at 10 years since my divorce I have been in a relationship with a French guy whose home is in Paris. I spend most of my time there and DD2 (34 years old) whose job is in London lives in the 2 bed flat I own there. She pays rent, buys all her own food, does her laundry etc. So far so good.

My OH comes over to London a few times a year usually for a week but longer in the summer hols and Xmas. He and DD rub along well enough but DD is so used to living alone that she finds it difficult when he stays.

We have a separate bathroom but the only shower is in the ensuite in my bedroom. DD insists on a shower every morning before work (around 7.30 - 8.00) when we are still asleep. She doesn't disturb us but she is now asking me to 'make sure OH is up/dressed in the mornings' so she can have her shower!

WWYD/answer?

Starlady Sun 06-Oct-19 20:54:01

Lucy, I'm sorry that you and yours have been facing these issues, but I'm glad you and DD have resolved them for now.

I understand that it's your home. However, you chose to rent it out to DD, and Ive never known a renter who didn't feel as if the flat was "their home' or a landlord who expected to be able to come and live there. So I can see why DD felt she should be able to keep using the shower she has been using for the many months you are not there.

Then again, I think it was rude for her to ask you to have OH be up and dressed when she comes in to shower. That sounds, as one poster suggested, as if she just doesn't like to see you in bed w/ a man. Very immature and unrealistic of her, IMO.

I hope the new showerhead idea works out. If not, I agree w/ the poster who suggested a curtain around your bed.

But I also agree w/ the posters who say that the real problem is the living arrangement. I understand why you let DD live there for a low rent, and I think it is very kind, generous, and loving of you. But the idea may have outlived its usefulness, especially, as you point out, if Brexit goes through. So I'm glad you're ready to talk to DD about other arrangements if it comes to that.

Also, I think it's very kind and wise of you to consider DD's new relationship. And I join you in hoping that things work out w/ her new BF and they move in somewhere together (not your home, LOL). Good luck to all of you!

ForeverAutumn Fri 04-Oct-19 12:56:06

I really sympathise with you lucyinthesky, I think some of the comments here are very unkind with no understanding of your situation, fortunately a lot of PPs do 'get it'.

I wouldn't consider the payment your daughter makes to you as being 'rent' it is more her contribution towards the running of your flat, in fact it doesn't sound as if her contribution fully covers her use of utilities etc.

If I were you I would put a stop to your ensuite being used by her at such inconvenient times, she can put up without it for the little time that you are there. If you do decide to spend more time in your own home and she continues to live there, she will have to find a way to either arrange for a shower to be fitted in the bathroom or move out as most 34 year olds would.

Alexa Sat 21-Sep-19 18:34:01

Could you put a nice curtain around the bed you and your partner share?

Tedber Fri 20-Sep-19 16:46:07

Not sure what you are saying Yvol2? Doesn’t matter how long OP lives away. It is HER flat.

Yvo12 Thu 19-Sep-19 09:06:02

How much clearer would you like it to be?
"I have been in a relationship with a French guy whose home is in Paris. I spend most of my time there"

Tedber Sat 14-Sep-19 12:05:28

Just my 2p lol. As this is the AIBU thread, posters are asking a question and of course there will be dividing opinions. Also many will just respond to the original post. Doesn’t excuse rudeness but isn’t that the whole point of asking AIBU?

Personally I don’t think OP is being unreasonable at all. I think her daughter is showing a fair amount of disrespect

My AC paid “digs” money once they started working. IF they decided to dictate to me my answer would be “my house- my rules”. (Oh how I hated that phrase when my dad used to say it to me)

At no time has the OP even hinted that the flat/house was bought for her daughter. It is HER home no matter how long she spends out of it.

Again personally I would tell my daughter if she wants a shower in her bathroom she can pay for it! She’s working, why not?

But I realize not all mother/daughter relationships are so straightforward and I am pleased you have been upfront and you have reached equilibrium. No fallouts or bad feeling.

Jo1960 Thu 12-Sep-19 12:02:00

Lucyinthesky, I really feel for you. The responses of the "my opinion" brigade who stick their twopenn'th in without having the common courtesy to read the full conversation are really uncalled for. There was a time when an adult daughter returned to live with me after her relationship broke down.
Later, when I had moved to the other side of the country to live with my partner, but still worked in her locality, I stayed in her flat, so I understand the difficulties and also the benefits of sharing space with one's offspring! My home was my predominantly my space, her home was her home and I was the part time lodger.

I'm so pleased you have found an amicable solution to your dilemma. Good luck to you all for the future smile

Chewbacca Thu 12-Sep-19 11:32:40

Alexa if you read the whole thread, you'll see that OP addressed the issue of bedroom allocation way back at the beginning.

Alexa Thu 12-Sep-19 10:55:26

Does your daughter know you regard your flat in London as your home? How has your daughter come to believe she has full right to the flat if she pays only a nominal rent?

I think you have the right to choose which bedroom will be yours as of right. Is she a kind natured girl? If so you should present yourself as needing to feel you have the right to choose how you will live in your home. I expect the last thing you want is to quarrel, so how you approach your daughter depends entirely on how you usually relate to each other.

My sympathy is mainly with you and I hope she comes to see your point of view the sooner the better.

Chewbacca Thu 12-Sep-19 10:49:20

Excellent news Lucy, very glad you've got the wheels in motion for the new shower. Fingers crossed he/she turns up! But that's a whole new thread.......! grin

lucyinthesky Thu 12-Sep-19 10:37:01

A final thank you to those posters who have been kind, understanding and supportive. It is very much appreciated.

Update - my builder is coming over next week. One step at a time!

lucyinthesky Thu 12-Sep-19 10:33:38

The problem is that new people are often confused and hurt when responses turn into a vortex of critical and demeaning posts conflicting with truly helpful opinions from a variety of viewpoints and and some offering mainly words of support.

I'm not a newbie. I've been a member of Gransnet for some years although I don't post often. Gransnet posters used to be helpful and supportive which is why I asked this question of them. Sadly there seem to be a number of posters now who react as many Mumsnet ones do, as you say, they are critical and demeaning.

So yes those of us who perhaps are of a more sensitive nature do end up distressed. In future I will not respond to those who are demeaning in their responses. Some are trolling. Perhaps we could all ignore them and Gransnet will return to the way it used to be?

mumofmadboys Thu 12-Sep-19 07:46:11

I think your DD is being unreasonable to expect to use the shower early in the morning in your ensuite when you are living there. She has the option of showering in the evenings or having a bath in the mornings. If she is so desperate to shower in the mornings she should pay for a second shower. Be firm with her and don't discuss it any further. You are being perfectly reasonable.

pinkquartz Wed 11-Sep-19 23:33:44

OP I am glad you and DD have talked and things are already much better.

I did not understand how some posters decided you are being unfair to your DD,

I am glad DD understands.

gmarie Wed 11-Sep-19 23:03:30

Totally agree, Chewbacca. I, too, have come to the conclusion that a few posters simply like stirring the pot for whatever reason. Perhaps they are angry in general or maybe it's just fun for them to rile people up. I don't know.

Chewbacca Wed 11-Sep-19 22:17:30

Differences of opinions are to be expected on any forum, and in any walk of life, and are perfectly valid and acceptable. What isn't acceptable is when someone starts a discussion, gives the details of the situation and then gets a barrage of posts from people who either:

a) cannot be bothered to read the whole thread and so continues to give advice long after the OP has confirmed a solution has been found

b) cannot be bothered to actually read the OP properly and extrapolates what they think the OP has said and then bashes them for saying something they never said in the first place!

I've seen the latter several times lately and have come to the conclusion that some GN posters are simply looking for an argument. Even when there is nothing contentious about the OP.

gmarie Wed 11-Sep-19 21:59:38

dragonfly46 I have crossed swords with a couple of them on quite innocuous posts. It would seem that they are just looking to contradict and argue for arguing sake.

Exactly. I also thought of starting a post or two but stopped myself for this reason. The problem is that new people are often confused and hurt when responses turn into a vortex of critical and demeaning posts conflicting with truly helpful opinions from a variety of viewpoints and and some offering mainly words of support. What to do? Maybe I'll start my first post on this topic. confused

MamaCaz Wed 11-Sep-19 10:49:12

Ignore the aggressive posts. Some people just seem to like to take an opposing view, whatever the question.
These are probably the same people who, on other threads, would criticise posters who let their adult children live at home for a nominal or cheap rent, insisting they should be paying full market rent!

How often you are/aren't there shouldn't really make much difference - it is still your 'home'. Your daughter's him too, yes, but as I see it, your not being there a lot of the time shouldn't give her any more (or fewer) rights in that respect than if you lived there all the time.

It sounds like you rub along quite well normally when you are home, so now that you have found an acceptable solution to the specific shower problem, hopefully you can find ways through any future problems as they arise, until the time comes for your DD to move on.
Good luck.

Nannyxthree Wed 11-Sep-19 10:17:27

I've just read all five pages of this thread which is more than some of the 'advice' givers have done!
No other suggestions to add but I wanted to say sorry you've been given such a rough ride and wish you well.

lucyinthesky Wed 11-Sep-19 08:44:42

Thanks jocork

I wasn't sure about mentioning the Brexshit shambles but unless it is stopped my DP and I will have to make significant changes in our lives as will many other people.

lucyinthesky Wed 11-Sep-19 08:40:40

Thank you Dragonfly46 for your understanding. Out of interest what career path did your DD take after journalism?

jocork Wed 11-Sep-19 06:17:43

It's clear that some of the most critical posts have been from people who clearly didn't read the whole thread. I know I've been guilty of adding an opinion without reading everything but only if I think I have a helpful suggestion to make and never make a judgement without reading all the posts. Quite frankly in this case some posters look pretty slly as they have made assumptions that later were shown to be completely wrong.
Good luck lucyinthesky - glad it seems to be sorted for now. Whatever happens with Brexit there will be lots of unforseen consequences for many people. Lets hope it can still be stopped. (Runs for cover!)

crystaltipps Wed 11-Sep-19 03:49:19

Yes I can’t understand why some posters are getting aggressive. It’s about a shower and the logistics of sharing a space with an AC. It is resolvable. Good luck OP.

dragonfly46 Wed 11-Sep-19 03:26:21

I have been reading these posts with interest.
It is incredible that such a simple problem, in my mind, and which now seems to be solved can generate such negative responses from certain posters.

I have crossed swords with a couple of them on quite innocuous posts. It would seem that they are just looking to contradict and argue for arguing sake. It certainly has prevented me from asking for advice as their first response is the put the OP in the wrong often by misreading the post.

My daughter was a journalist in London so I understand the pressures. She eventually changed career as she saw no future in it. I rather hope your problem is going to be solved organically and I wish your daughter well in her career and relationship.

icanhandthemback Wed 11-Sep-19 01:16:51

I'm glad you have been able to sort this out with your daughter but I have to say that it doesn't seem to be clear cut. First you live in Paris most of the time and partner returns but then you seem to return more frequently as it your home. Then you pay the mortgage, etc and then the flat is actually mortgage free.
It does rather sound to me that you think you are doing all the favours but, in fact, your daughter is also doing you a good turn. You would have difficulty getting insurance without rigorous conditions if you are away more than a certain length of time. She is there making sure that it is all kept together whilst you aren't around which makes it far more secure. You'd probably pay more for a caretaker than she pays in rent! Each time you go away you don't have to shut the place up, you can just up and go. I don't know that you realise that this is very useful so it isn't just about the fact she pays less rent.
I only write this so that if you get into a situation where there may be conflict, you realise her worth as well as the favours you are doing her and any negotiations will come from a better place.