Gransnet forums

AIBU

Feeling hurt and confused

(93 Posts)
Deepblue Sat 28-Sep-19 16:00:36

I have one son who I’m quite close to, although we don’t live in each other’s pockets. He’s now forty and has been with his partner of the same age for about 14 years.

They both have very high flying jobs but no children.

His partner has always been a bit odd to be honest. They had a lovely little rescue dog who sadly had to be put to sleep a couple of months ago and before the dog died, she frequently said, ‘when anything happens to ‘dog’s name’, I’m off.’ I asked my son what she meant by that, as it seemed quite a nasty thing to say and he just said, ‘oh ignore her, she’s always saying that,’

Anyway, this year, I’ve increasingly noticed she’s has been more and more unpleasant towards me - although not really when my son is there.

I lost one of my dogs, a lovely retriever, just before Christmas through a tragic accident. He choked to death on a tennis ball that wedged in his throat. We’ve had retrievers for many years and my lovely husband, knowing how traumatised and upset I was, bought me a beautiful retriever puppy for Christmas.

Son’s partner visited on Boxing Day and lectured me on how wrong we are to buy pedigree pups and not to have rescue dogs - despite the fact that we’ve also had a number of rescues over the years.

She got a really important appointment in her job and when I congratulated her, she said ‘oh I’ve had enough arse licking lately.’

If I phone her, which is very rarely and only if there is a reason, she doesn’t answer my calls. If I text her, she doesn’t reply.

After their little dog died, I was very upset for them because I know how much they loved her and how heartbroken they are. As they’re both forty this year, I paid to have an oil painting of their dog done for their joint birthday, which they both said they were pleased with.

Then, and I admit stupidly, I posted some words about losing a dog on her Facebook page. It was a little poem that a friend sent to me which I just thought might comfort her a bit. Then my son phoned me to tell me that I’d really upset her and I shouldn’t have put it on her Facebook page, I apologised profusely. I tried to ring her but no answer so I texted her to say I was really sorry and never meant to hurt or upset her. She never replied.

Now I’ve noticed she’s blocked me on Facebook which, of course, is entirely up to her but why couldn’t she speak to me? If she said she’d be happier not having me on her friends list, I’d have been hurt but I’d have taken it on the chin.

To make matters worse, we’ve organised a family dinner for both of them with my husband, stepsons and their families in a month’s time and now I’m left wondering if she’s even going to come. The dinner was her idea by the way.

Over the years, we’ve occasionally arranged to meet them for a meal and then my son has arrived on his own saying she’s too busy to come.

I can’t tell my husband all this because he already thinks she’s difficult and also he hates Facebook with a vengeance and is always telling me to keep off it. With hindsight he’s probably right.

I just feel so miserable about all this. I don’t expect her to be my best friend but just to rub along on the odd times when we’re together.

What do people think?

jaylucy Sun 29-Sep-19 12:58:49

She just sounds as if something in her background has made her hard and apparently unfeeling. She has lived behind this mask for so long, that maybe the poem you posted cracked the surface.
I have a SiL that every time I see her, manages to say something to me that I find upsetting. Her latest, after I was made redundant (and nearly had a breakdown as a result of the treatment from my line manager before that,) said "Are you looking for a job or are you not going to bother?" She has also criticised my choice of pet and the fact that I eat meat (she's veggie) both to my face and behind my back.
Just came to the conclusion that people like that can only see their own side and their own personal values and that's the way they are!
I'd suggest that you just have to take her as she is - if she turns up to meals, visits your house etc just be pleasant even though you have to grit your teeth so hard that it hurts!

Summerlove Sun 29-Sep-19 13:23:54

She sounds like some kind of feminazi drama queen

Way to fan a fire. Let’s not over dramatize. I have to wonder based on this if it’s really your sons partners who are the unpleasant ones. I wouldn’t spend time with people who said such vile things

moobox Sun 29-Sep-19 13:28:06

All too familiar! Enjoy seeing your son if you get these opportunities, and let the rest run its course. Some people choose to fall out with everyone, and you just have to let them get on with it, sadly.

Deepblue Sun 29-Sep-19 13:46:34

‘Do you chat about what your son and DIL are doing when you are on Facebook with your friends?’

In answer to that, no I don’t. Our chats are nearly always ‘ I bumped into old so and so recently and she’s really well’, or about our dogs or holidays.

My friend in Sydney sends me a monthly post saying when are you coming to see me!

I never mention my family members at all.

Eglantine21 Sun 29-Sep-19 13:53:30

I just wondered as she’s been touchy about it?

willa45 Sun 29-Sep-19 14:56:38

Your relationship with her appears to be 'rock bottom' and she's inexcusably rude to you. From your post, it appears she's neither fond of you or even respects you. Hard to expect her to change....Have you talked with your son about how badly she makes you feel?

If he doesn't say or do something on your behalf, you may have to talk to her yourself! If she's so tired of all that 'arse licking', tell her you understand perfectly. You would be sick and tired too and that is why you don't do that sort of thing. You prefer being honest and up front, especially with the people who are rude to you.

Jishere Sun 29-Sep-19 14:59:17

For some reason daughter in laws are different with their parent in laws than their own. They have little or no respect even if you have done the most wonderful things for them. In short there is like a divide that's your Mum not mine.

Personal I wouldn't worry if she doesn't turn up that's more quality time with the ones that want to be there.

LondonGranny Sun 29-Sep-19 15:16:46

I had a colleague that sounds a bit like your DiL. He bristled about everything and saw ulterior motives in the slightest thing and took umbrage at the drop of a hat. He was also very judgemental about people who did things differently to him, in both a professional and normal keep-interactions-friendly-and-pleasant-at-work context. He'd roll his eyes if someone said "Isn't it a lovely sunny morning?" when they arrived for work. Some people are just like that. I found it best just to keep things short and civil and to only interact on a strictly neccessary for work basis.
In short, it's not you, it's her.

GabriellaG54 Sun 29-Sep-19 15:17:19

You can't like everyone nor expect them to like you
She's your son's choice, not yours.
That's all there is to it, no more, no less.

Tea and cake Sun 29-Sep-19 15:21:34

Deepblue. So sorry about your dog. How awful for you. When my beloved cat died of septicaemia after a bite I was in bits. The Blue Cross had an online bereavement service and that helped a lot. Your son's wife - least said the better!

eagleswings Sun 29-Sep-19 15:35:08

Dear Deepblue
I feel so sorry for you. She sounds like a real bully. I feel so sorry for your son too. All us mother-in-laws require, is a bit of consideration and kindness and it's not too much too ask. It's time we started being a little more assertive, less apologetic and demand better behaviour from these ingrates that surround us. Start with zero tolerance, always good for focussing the mind. I loved the post re: buying her some running shoes..! You sound kind and compassionate and she really doesn't deserve you. She needs to get off her high horse before she gets saddle sores. Who does she think she is..?!!
The worm is turning sisters..

ayokunmi1 Sun 29-Sep-19 16:10:27

Shes not nice polite or mannered.
Lack of respect total disrespect shes born should I say in the 80s thats a wee age to be as cunning and manipulative as this

Why bother with this sort of person .What you wouldnt do to another let it not be expected and accepted by you
If you tell your son you really have to word it well.
I dont see the point though .Wonder what will happen when grand children come along.

She isnt so carried away with your son either.

ayokunmi1 Sun 29-Sep-19 16:11:24

@GabriellaG54
Really..

Lyndiloo Sun 29-Sep-19 16:16:08

All good advice on here. The only thing I would add is, don't discuss her behaviour with your son. No need to involve him, and it might make him uncomfortable, and feel the need to support her.

Let it all go. She doesn't like you (for whatever reason) and you don't like her. That's OK - you can live with that. Don't make any advances to her whatsoever. Be polite but detached and indifferent, would be my advice.

And I am passing on the most magical response to use to any more rude comments from her. This really works superbly - you must try it! (And watch the results ... smile) Very simple and easy to remember. It's this ...

She says something rude or disagreeable ... You - looking her straight in the eyes, "What an odd thing to say." Then shut-up and end eye-contact. No explanation - nothing. There will be a silence - let it ride. Someone with you will feel obliged to fill the gap. Then resume speaking normally (and cheerfully). I have never known this to fail! And it's quite amusing to watch the reaction!

Lin663 Sun 29-Sep-19 16:46:17

Seriously, don’t waste a moment more worrying about this absolute bitch. Just ignore her.

Newatthis Sun 29-Sep-19 16:58:13

I've said this before on these chats - the better you treat someone the more they'll take advantage. Why don't you ask her straight out what have you done and mention that you have noticed she treats you differently when you son is not about. Maybe it's time to back off - it looks like she is never going to be you friend so just spend time with her when you have to but take any of this nonsense from her. Stand up and be brave!!

GabriellaG54 Sun 29-Sep-19 17:03:06

ayokunmil
Yes...really.

whywhywhy Sun 29-Sep-19 17:10:18

I know what you mean as my DIL can be a right little madam at times and that is putting it politely. I just go with the flow as long as I get to see my two grand children but at times I could smack her bloody face! If you don't have to be around her much then I would stay away. Talk to your son as much as possible but don't bad mouth her to him as it will backfire one day. Keep it under wraps. My mam used to say, "We are never going to like everyone" and that is so true, especially DILs!!! Sending you love and hugs. x

Deepblue Sun 29-Sep-19 17:33:47

'She says something rude or disagreeable ... You - looking her straight in the eyes, "What an odd thing to say." Then shut-up and end eye-contact. No explanation - nothing. '

I love this! It's the first time I've laughed this weekend! Thank you.

I didn't really want to say because I didn't want to make her worse than she is but here goes:

She didn't speak to her mum for a couple of years and when her mum turned up at their house more or less begging to talk to her, she stayed upstairs and sent my son to tell her to go away. My son is really gentle and he was ever so upset. He told me that he felt sorry for her mum, She talks to her now but son says the relationship is still strained.

Her dad has a new partner (parents divorced some years ago) and she can't stand her. She keeps saying she is alcoholic - although I don't know if that's true.

She had a big argument with some neighbours about parking on their road and it ended up with her car being scratched all the way down, although of course there was no evidence who'd done it. She kept telling my sone to go over and 'sort it out' but he said he wasn't getting involved and he didn't care who parked on their road.

She bangs on about brexit all the time, as though it is my personal fault that brexiteers won the referendum, even though I've never said which way me and my husband voted because it's nobody else's business but ours.

She puts silly things on Facebook about the older generation having stolen their future and 'having it easy' -bearing in mind she's on a humongous salary, far more than we ever earned. When my husband died I was left alone with a baby and very little money. My husband was a mechainc and he was ill for about a year before he died so seriously we had no money. My clothes were all from jumble sales and we had a 'treat' of yorkshire pudding and onion gravy -because it was really cheap and I convinced my little boy that it was a treat! I went back to work when he was three and became a senior nurse while my lovely second husband was a policeman.

I guess it's easier for her to ignore the fact that we lived in a terraced house when we first got together and had so little we had to sell our old banger of a car to buy carpets. Plus, I funded my son through university to make sure he didn't have enormous debts to pay back. I did extra shifts on bank to get the money together to support him - but of course, we've screwed their future.

They went on a cruise this year. The same one that we'd done a couple of years ago and my son rang me before they booked to ask what we'd thought about it. It was one that went to Scandinavia and Russia and we loved it. While they were away, she kept putting comments on Facebook which said. 'this is not for us,' as though we'd talked them into going.

Sorry - I've just had my Sunday glass of wine so I'm probably rant ing like a maniac now. I promise I don't sound off like this in real life!

Summerlove Sun 29-Sep-19 17:41:07

as long as I get to see my two grand children but at times I could smack her bloody face!

And yet you complain she’s a “right little madam”.

Attitudes like these always astound me. You’re lucky she allows you to see her children with a terrible attitude like that.

Deepblue Sun 29-Sep-19 18:08:25

as long as I get to see my two grand children but at times I could smack her bloody face!

I think you’ve got the wrong thread? My son and partner have no children ?. And I would NEVER say I’d smack somebody’s face. That’s definitely not me!

M0nica Sun 29-Sep-19 18:16:38

We do not choose our children's partners and while it is lovely if everybody gets on well, they are a number of cases where the chosen partner is unpleasant and difficult to get on with.

If that is the case, give them a wide berth, and ignore anything they say or do that could upset you. They only do it to annoy because they know it teases

GillT57 Sun 29-Sep-19 18:30:55

summerlove that comment was not made by deepblue, best to read the thread before wading in. Deepblue your son's partner sounds like a deeply unhappy and deeply unpleasant person who uses affection as a weapon. Be glad when she doesn't attend family functions as the event can only be improved by her absence. I do wonder what kind of a life your DS has with her, she sounds cruel and manipulative. Don't criticise her to your son, she will use it as a weapon. Be glad you have raised a lovely man and I hate to say it, but it is fortunate they do not have children for she would undoubtedly have used them as emotional weapons. Hopefully she won't come to the lunch that she suggested!

Lumarei Sun 29-Sep-19 19:34:50

If she was my son’s partner I would only speak to my son in the future and wait until she has greeted/ addressed me first in a polite manner. I would not start a conversation written or spoken any more only polite responses (if she deigns to address me)
No explanation to son or partner. Meet son for lunches and invite him to family dos.
I would say: ‘We are having a family do if you would like to come along.’ He can bring her or not and I would be relieved if she didn’t come.
I don’t want my celebrations spoiled by people who think they are doing ne a favour for coming to my do.
In order to get respected by others we need to respect ourselves first.

HettyMaud Sun 29-Sep-19 20:40:47

I think a lot of us probably try too hard with others. I know I do. And, to be honest, is it appreciated? Sometimes I feel like a total doormat - my kindness is often interpreted as weakness.