Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bad language

(94 Posts)
Gemini1789 Mon 14-Oct-19 22:04:27

I’ve just come to bed early leaving the OH watching ‘The Dublin Murders ‘ . He said it had a good write up. How many horrible phrases and unpleasant words were in the first 10 minutes ? I kept going till about half way but really ! Do we have to listen to that ? Well the answer is no. We don’t have to. We can switch off or leave the room .
AIBU ?

Bridgeit Tue 29-Oct-19 19:58:53

Yes The F word & the B are just words , but they do have specific ( & possibly or deliberately ) offensive meanings.

Bridgeit Tue 29-Oct-19 19:38:05

Yes they are just words , Yet a swear word is not usually spoken in the same tone as non swear words, swearing is usually used to emphasise an emotion , anger, despair, etc & usually understood perfectly by the recipient .
Especially when accompanied with an ‘off’

timetogo2016 Tue 29-Oct-19 08:53:23

Agreewith SalsaQueen 100%.
Who decided a swear word is a swear word ?.
It`s just a bunch of letters like any other word.
The F word the B word are just that, WORDS.

Yehbutnobut Wed 23-Oct-19 22:47:06

Really enjoying it too.

Gemini1789 Wed 23-Oct-19 22:41:47

Thank you Monica. You explained much better than I did. That’s why I put bad language and not swearing.

M0nica Wed 23-Oct-19 22:38:48

Bad words do not necessarily mean swearing. A combination of very ordinary words can be cruel, hurtful, frightening, abusive, intimidating and all but a few of the people who do the evil things I listed will use them in the course of their evil behaviour.

SalsaQueen Wed 23-Oct-19 21:53:55

MOnica Bad language and the evil use of words are part of ACTIONS - war, child abuse, animal cruelty, famine, poverty, the list is endless.. You cannot separate them.

Yes, you can separate them. Not everyone who swears is a bad person. Not all bad people swear.

Hetty58 Wed 23-Oct-19 21:49:05

I'm finding it fascinating as the history slowly reveals itself. I don't care about the language or smoking. We have to wait for next Monday now!

M0nica Wed 23-Oct-19 21:40:05

Get a grip on what?confused

Only watching television when doing the ironing or when I am ill
OR
saying evil actions are always accompanied by evil words?

SalsaQueen Wed 23-Oct-19 20:29:32

MOnica Get a grip

soop Wed 23-Oct-19 17:21:07

Ditto, ninathenana

ninathenana Wed 23-Oct-19 16:43:12

So glad it's not just me that is confused. I keep thinking I've had a light bulb moment and then something happens and I'm confused again.
I'm persevering and hope all will become clear before the end.

Eloethan Wed 23-Oct-19 00:08:13

I've only just started watching it and am up to Episode 3. So far, I think it's very good and I didn't notice that there was a great deal of bad language. But even if there is, that is how some people talk.

I too find the plot a bit confusing - and some of the dialogue difficult to hear - but hope that eventually I'll fully understand what's going on!

newnanny Tue 22-Oct-19 22:36:17

We too find I have to really focus to follow plot especially as it jumps from now to past and back again very quickly. We tape it so are a week behind others. We will persevere.

Mapleleaf Tue 22-Oct-19 22:10:23

I'm finding the programme a tad confusing now. Hope it makes more sense next week!

tanith Tue 22-Oct-19 22:01:58

I now have no clue ?

JackyB Tue 22-Oct-19 13:36:44

I was in the UK last week and caught a couple of episodes of Dublin Murders and found it quite gripping.

I didn't notice the bad language but was bothered by all the smoking. I then realised it was set in 2006, but not sure if it was actually filmed in 2006 (probably not, as it was so hyped up now, so is probably new).

As I can't watch the rest, I'll have to buy the book.

glammanana Tue 22-Oct-19 12:56:57

After 3 episodes I am very confused I have switched off to the swearing and am concentrating on understanding the plot and the accent.
I hope all comes clear over the next episodes or I will give up the will to live.

Jane43 Tue 22-Oct-19 12:09:24

I meant to also say that I am working so hard to understand what’s going on I haven't noticed the bad language.

Jane43 Tue 22-Oct-19 12:08:28

BlueBelle I'm with you in that the first episode seemed promising, the second was confusing and the third even more confusing. There seem to be several different story lines, I suppose they will come together by the end. I am having difficulty differentiating who the characters are and how they relate to the story lines in the past. To have the two detectives both having dark secrets, along with other characters too, is too much for my ageing brain to cope with. The end of episode three let me even more confused. I will stick with it for now.

Eloethan Thu 17-Oct-19 23:39:23

Unless it's regularly and aggressively used, I'm not that bothered about bad language.

I agree with *SalsaQueen" that there are far more important things to get angry about.

merlotgran Thu 17-Oct-19 20:26:46

I've given up. Too confusing.

Gemini1789 Thu 17-Oct-19 19:34:03

My asterisks didn’t print but you know what I meant after ‘duck but not ( rhyming word ) ‘

Gemini1789 Thu 17-Oct-19 19:32:43

I don’t remember Kenneth Tynan but I have heard about it. As a teenager I used to have discussions with my dad about why you can say duck but not . I didn’t understand then about respect. It isn't really the f word that I was complaining about. It was the phrases used by the detective in every sentence. I mean once or twice and we get the message but then maybe there are people like him. Really unpleasant and bullying. Luckily I haven’t met any.

petra Thu 17-Oct-19 17:04:09

Chestnut
I don't know how old you are but the Sex Pistols weren't the first to use the F word on TV. It was Kenneth Tynan in 1963.
Now that was shocking ?