Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bad language

(93 Posts)
Gemini1789 Mon 14-Oct-19 22:04:27

I’ve just come to bed early leaving the OH watching ‘The Dublin Murders ‘ . He said it had a good write up. How many horrible phrases and unpleasant words were in the first 10 minutes ? I kept going till about half way but really ! Do we have to listen to that ? Well the answer is no. We don’t have to. We can switch off or leave the room .
AIBU ?

Gonegirl Mon 14-Oct-19 22:08:48

It was really good. Can't say I noticed the bad language. Must have rolled off me.

Can't wait for tomorrow evening.

Gonegirl Mon 14-Oct-19 22:09:36

Yes. Just a bit unreasonable.

SalsaQueen Mon 14-Oct-19 22:11:12

It always amazes me that some people find certain words/phrases unpleasant - WORDS.

I am far more upset, horrified, disgusted, repulsed, etc., by certain ACTIONS - war, child abuse, animal cruelty, famine, poverty, the list is endless. I wish there was an "off switch" for those.

tanith Mon 14-Oct-19 22:13:23

I enjoyed it, can’t say I noticed any bad language either

BlueBelle Mon 14-Oct-19 22:17:46

I enjoyed it and sorry but I didn’t noticed any bad language probably too busy following the story line
Good bit of drama I thought

GrandmaKT Mon 14-Oct-19 22:28:24

I'm afraid I agree with the others and didn't notice anything particularly bad. The programme is about child murders and you are worried about some 'unpleasant words'?

paddyann Tue 15-Oct-19 00:07:34

I dont like bad language either ,but if its relevant to the story I'll put up with it.I've recorded the programme to watch with my OH ,now I've been warned what to expect I'll not be shocked

Gemini1789 Tue 15-Oct-19 08:32:27

That’s interesting. I must have a low threshold. I wondered if it was just me because I noticed that they have made more series and so it must be popular. I suppose it’s a personal choice really.
I used to switch off Steptoe and Son because it was unpleasant and that was mild by today’s standards. This time it was the bullying detective in the white shirt in the station that put me off. I can accept that detectives talk in this way but I thought there was a bit too much of it . But I often find people say something is really good and I try it and think I must be a bit odd because I just don’t want to see or listen to nasty stuff.
Anyway thanks for your thoughts everyone.

Gemini1789 Tue 15-Oct-19 08:42:10

Of course those are the big issues which we all feel the same about. This is not on the same level but I think words are important because they can lead to conflict .

Do you really not mind how people speak ?

Gemini1789 Tue 15-Oct-19 08:43:04

That is for Salsa Queen. Sorry it’s in the wrong place.

EllanVannin Tue 15-Oct-19 08:50:18

Words are just words, it's the actions that speak the loudest whether it be murder or a hug.

Sillygrandma5GK Tue 15-Oct-19 09:13:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ninathenana Tue 15-Oct-19 09:36:31

The only words that bothered me were the ones I couldn't catch due to the Irish accent.
Yes the senior cop was rude and inappropriate with his comments to the female detective but sadly there are people in RL who behave like that.
I'm looking forward to the next episode.

trisher Tue 15-Oct-19 10:11:19

Read the book ages ago. Didn't notice the language but it takes a lot to shock me these days. Loved the books by Tana French so hoping this sticks closely to them.

Morganrae Tue 15-Oct-19 10:23:03

Can't say I noticed. Had me riveted from the start.

Craftycat Tue 15-Oct-19 10:24:01

I didn't notice any bad language- maybe we have just got used to it now. I do agree the senior officer was dismissive to the woman cop but I guess that it a sign of the times they were in. I assume it is set a couple of decade ago by the fashions
It was a good programme though- heard the author on Woman's Hour yesterday & it seems they are doing one crime a week. I will download the books onto my Kindle.

spabbygirl Tue 15-Oct-19 10:26:08

my ex taught me about swearing, he used to call me lazy, selfish, ugly but he never swore. It really intimidated me and ground me down. Billy Connolley swears all the time but he is never offensive. I'm glad swearing is becoming more mainstream because it really doesn't matter.

Summerstorm Tue 15-Oct-19 10:32:08

I’m obviously in the minority here but agree with the OP I don’t like bad language. Don’t see the need for it. Find it also irritating when people (tv presenters, that I feel should know better) refer to me and whoever. I was always taught that it should be whoever and I. Silly in the scheme of things but isn’t grammar even taught in schools nowadays

jenni123 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:55:07

I enjoyed it and hopefully will watch next episode tonight

Jaycee5 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:59:04

I thought it was a good programme. I'd rather that child murder wasn't the central point of virtually every crime drama (having replaced serial rape) but it was still a good programme. I thought the senior officer thinking that his abusive comments to the female officer was 'just craic' and realising that he might be in trouble for it and the way low level sexism is shown was very realistic. I didn't find any of it offensive and will watch the rest of it.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 15-Oct-19 11:14:38

Gemini1779.
Count me in. Must be my age grinWhy do those who turn out what could be hmm very interesting programmes feel the need to use language totally irrelevant to what the programme is about. For example in one recent drama I watched which involved police intervention quote 'the subject when questioned became **** aggressive'.
Why the need for ******?

Linbrikat Tue 15-Oct-19 11:23:00

Summerstorm, it depends what part of the sentence is being used. If John and Mary are the subject of the sentence, then John would say "Mary and I went for a walk this morning", but if they're the direct object then John would say "She gave Mary and me a lovely breakfast this morning". If you just remove "Mary and" from each sentence, you'll see that it makes sense.

grannytotwins Tue 15-Oct-19 11:33:04

I’ve recorded it as I’m reading the book at the moment and want to finish it first. There’s not bad language in the book, so why do they have to add it into the television series?

pinkquartz Tue 15-Oct-19 11:38:12

Well the book is better!

Tana French has written many really excellent crime novels and I don't remember swearing in them.

But the TV people do like to "spice up"

usually making everything worse.
though I think swearing is normal for some situations.

I would ignore it or switch off if it bothers you.