Gransnet forums

AIBU

To know that - I know what I don’t want to do ....

(83 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 17-Oct-19 08:48:40

I have tried most classes, keep fit, Pilates, yoga, stretch your mind & body , volunteering etc etc ....
so I have now reached the stage where I know what I don’t want to do, but cannot think of anything that I do want to do but I do want to do something ,does anyone else feel the same?
Should I be bothered or just accept that we all get a bit jaded ?

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 29-Oct-19 22:11:20

Find a lawn bowls club. Fitness and a social life combined.

Callistemon Tue 29-Oct-19 22:25:30

Yes Bridgeit!

A friend has just started playing walking netball and loves it.

There are lots of things on offer with the U3A, it's just a case of finding the motivation!
I do like reading and crafts but need to find an exercise I really enjoy apart from yoga which is ok.

Perhaps a chocolate eclair may help hmm

MissA grin

jogginggirl Tue 29-Oct-19 22:51:54

I took up tennis around 10 months ago, having never played before (I’m 68). It is the best thing I ever did - great exercise but such fun as well! I now understand what people mean when they say ‘if you want to keep fit then do what you enjoy.’ Loving it, meeting lots of new people, keeping fit and now DH has started to play, so it’s something we can enjoy together!

Nansnet Wed 30-Oct-19 03:51:08

I'm a great believer in doing whatever makes you happy, and if that's sitting at home having a lazy day, I don't feel guilty about it. My DiL's mum is like action woman, she's on the go everyday doing one activity or another ... makes me feel exhausted just thinking about it! She's often trying to get me to take part in various things, and I honestly think she feels sorry for me sometimes. She probably thinks I'm lonely, but what she doesn't understand is that I actually enjoy my own company, and I love pottering around the house, cooking, researching stuff on the internet, reading books, walking the dogs, and spending time in the garden. I do socialize with a group of my friends now and again, when we can all manage to get together, and I'm in a monthly bookclub. I used to do private pilates classes with 1 or 2 other women (I don't like large groups), which I loved, but then my instructor left. I am about to start again, after a 2 year gap, but it's right what they say, 'use it or you lose it', as I'm no longer as supple as I was, so I'll be right back to basics again!Lol I also do the odd aquafit class, which I kind of enjoy, although sometimes I simply don't feel like going ... so I don't!

In answer to your question, I don't think you should be bothered. Try stuff, and if you don't like it, don't do it. And if you want to sit at home with a book and a cream bun, go for it! Life is too short to engage in activities that you don't really enjoy. Being in a happy state of mind, is far more important.

Dolcelatte Wed 30-Oct-19 04:24:30

Another vote for Future Learn - also Audible, as you can listen whilst doing other things and there are some wonderful books and narrators.

Is it a possibility to travel as that might stimulate you and bring back the mojo?

Personally, I went back to university to do a Masters and that was a lot of fun, but I feel at a bit of a loose end since it finished and am looking for a new project, so I understand how you feel. The Masters was good for me because it had inbuilt goals and deadlines, so I had to meet them and I always felt better when I had achieved them. Sometimes, I think lethargy can take hold of us unless we take active steps to stamp it out.

Rufus2 Wed 30-Oct-19 04:42:15

Try stuff, and if you don't like it, don't do it
Nansnet; And if you can't do it, even more reason to not do it! grin
With you all the way with this one! We must have been born under the same star sign,. although in my case, a long, long time ago! sad Never mind!; that's life I guess.

Coolgran65 Wed 30-Oct-19 05:52:05

Bradfordlass....I looked at futurelearn as I’ve always been interested in psychology. Everything refers to £50 payment. Is that to register? I’d only be able to do it if it was free. How do we access the free courses you mention. Thank you for this.