Gransnet forums

AIBU

Harry and Meghan

(155 Posts)
Gingergirl Mon 21-Oct-19 13:24:59

AIBU to feel annoyed at the media interpretations of their comments in the tv programme last night? Wasn’t Harry just saying effectively that he struggles with the grief of his mothers death, rather than ‘admitting to being mentally ill’ as I've heard on the news today. I thought he had been open about his feelings to help others who had been bereaved perhaps.....and commented that he had come to realise that his feelings needed to be ‘managed’...and that with every job, you need to put on a brave face sometimes. Seems reasonable to me. Likewise with Meghan, the press have treated her badly so why shouldn’t she say how that makes her feel?It just makes her human surely, not necessarily someone about to completely unravel. I really don’t get it and especially now that they’re being portrayed as a couple on the ‘brink’ of deep unhappiness and distress. What do others think?

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Oct-19 16:03:16

Would she be able to Annie? GGC of the Queen, GC of the next King and nephew to the man who will one day be King.

Would security be required? Who would pay for it? I thought about that when wondering if they'd settle abroad as a family.

soop Tue 22-Oct-19 16:21:03

I am dismayed by so much unbridled lack of empathy.

grapefruitpip Tue 22-Oct-19 16:25:54

Don't think I'd be taking relationship advice from Phil.

Anniebach Tue 22-Oct-19 16:37:28

Smileless, Andrew & Sarah, Anne & Mark, Diana and Charles had joint custody of their children.

I do know (fact) that summer Diana died she wanted to take her sons to America for a holiday to an American she was seeing, she was not allowed to take them because of security issues. She then took them to Fayad’s for a holiday.

If there was to be a divorce would Megan not want to live in
America ?

Luckygirl Wed 23-Oct-19 10:46:47

O heavens - they are divorcing now!!

Who can blame them for getting fed up with this sort of scrutiny and fantasising about them?

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 11:00:05

No .luckygirl no one has said they are divorcing, you misread the discussion on how the Windsors handle divorce

Iam64 Wed 23-Oct-19 11:02:39

I didn't misread the discussion on how the Windsors handle divorce. I've read a number of gransnet comments suggesting this marriage will end in divorce. It's almost ill wishing.
Like many others posting, I've experienced divorce and have loved ones, friends who have had relationships break down. It's not something I'd wish on anyone, especially if children are involved.

jannxxx Wed 23-Oct-19 11:08:20

times are changing, if they dont want to be talked about dont put it in the shop window!! if you dont want to be in the public eye, retire but we wont pay for it, whoever is advising these two needs sacked as they are giving them all the wrong advice.they had a great trip to africa then came home and started all this.

Luckygirl Wed 23-Oct-19 11:23:43

They have no choice but to "put it in the shop window" - the media are on their tail all the time and they have to find a way of managing this.

If they tell them all to sling their hook they would be criticised ("You are public servants taking taxpayers money - you do not have the right to hide away") - if they try and meet the media halfway and answer their questions honestly ("You are feeling sad? - you have no right to feel that way; you've got pots of money) they are criticised.

What exactly are they meant to do?

I never expected to fond myself defending royalty, but I am amazed at the cruelty of the posts here.

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 11:40:08

They do have the choice of putting their private lives in the media or not

Luckygirl Wed 23-Oct-19 15:33:22

Do you know, I don't think they do? They would be criticised if they kept the media at arms length. They need sound advice about how to handle the media.

trisher Wed 23-Oct-19 15:36:47

Isn't it funny how some are saying they don't have to be in the news and not very long ago those same people were complaining bitterly that they never got to see baby Archie!

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 15:46:32

The other members of the Windsors keep the media at arms length , many have been criticised in the media but they remain silent.

Good grief, it was written the queen mother conceived with the use of a turkey baster.

Edward was gay.

Camilla has slept around.

Kate was too lazy to work because she stopped working in London because of the press and worked for her parents firm.

Kate’s mother ridiculed for being a air hostess

Kate’s mother made Kate go to St Andrews university so she could nab William.

Not one complaint from one of them.

52bright Wed 23-Oct-19 16:08:16

I don't think that Harry and Megan have been very wise ...but then again they are not very old. I wish I had known in my thirties what I now know in my sixties. I would have handled some things very differently. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and perhaps when they look back they will wish they had handled some things differently. In the meantime I think they should be left alone for a while to work out their future path and I wish them well.

merlotgran Wed 23-Oct-19 16:16:27

I don't think that Harry and Megan have been very wise ...but then again they are not very old.

That's what advisers are for. If you don't listen to advice you have to be responsible for your actions. It's no good blaming others.

Meghan's 38 and has a career and a marriage behind her. Not exactly an innocent youngster.

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 16:24:24

Who else apart from these two have made a public announcement that they will not be making a public announcement about the birth of their baby.

Then when the baby was born Harry summons the press to Windsor so he could make a public announcement.

jo1book Wed 23-Oct-19 17:29:26

The Prince and the Showgirl scenario; does it ever end happily?

jo1book Wed 23-Oct-19 17:35:24

Her latest faux-pas

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7018893/Meghans-Instagram-plug-friends-3-600-retreat-mental-health-campaign.html

merlotgran Wed 23-Oct-19 17:48:07

That article is dated 12th May, jolbook

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 17:55:50

Does it matter it was in May ? Shame on her.

Smileless2012 Wed 23-Oct-19 17:57:18

Oh dear, does she really have no idea how to conduct herself?

suziewoozie Wed 23-Oct-19 17:59:02

I simply cannot believe what is going on on this thread. Unbelievable.

suziewoozie Wed 23-Oct-19 18:01:16

I don’t know about shame on Meghan but certainly shame on some of you on here. I sometimes imagine what would happen if some threads were shared online and the image it would portray of GN

suziewoozie Wed 23-Oct-19 18:02:06

Do some of you have no idea how to conduct yourselves? Rhetorical question obviously

Anniebach Wed 23-Oct-19 18:06:09

Yes, if only the duke and Duchess of Sussex did.