Gransnet forums

AIBU

To help a damsel in distress?

(56 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 31-Oct-19 23:57:08

Having worked away all week The Wonderful Man is at home tonight, but sleeping on another floor far enough away from me so that I don’t disturb him; he’s currently working extremely long hours and looked exhausted earlier.

My house has a lighted porch so I can easily see anyone who is outside, it also has sturdy locks and I have mobile numbers for the local police and PCSOs in my phone.

Just before 10.30pm I heard a commotion directly outside my house. It sounded like teenagers, but I could also hear what sounded like a drunken older man. There was some shouting and then I heard a girl start to scream, followed by sobbing. I looked out of my window and saw that the sobbing girl was being comforted by a lad inside my gateway, whilst a group of belligerent sounding males were having a shoving and shouting match inside my neighbour’s gate. I could hear the girl sobbing and saying over and over “it really hurts”.

So I put on my dressing gown, marched down my path, took a hold of the girls hand and told her to come inside with me so that I could help - then marched her into the house, along with the boyfriend, and locked the door.

She had been with a group of friends and had fallen out with her boyfriend, so she had walked to the bus stop (opposite my house) and was going home. An older man, who is a belligerent alcoholic (known to her and by reputation also known to me) accosted her and began to pester her and wouldn’t go away. Her friends caught up with her and they all ended up rowing with the man. Some pushing and shoving took place and the girl (17) ended up on the ground, banging her knee very badly in the process.

We had a chat and I insisted she call her mother to come and collect her as the fracas was still going on outside. Her mother has now driven her home and the others have dispersed.

Yesterday I would simply have called the police, because I was home alone and too ill to have coped. My reasoning for not doing so tonight is that I felt it was not safe to leave the girl in harm’s way when I know exactly how few police are available here in an emergency and that it would be a minimum of 20 or 30 minutes before they would arrive.

Tomorrow I will have to fess up to The Wonderful Man (who slept through it all) and I’d like to be prepared for what he might say. It’s true that I’m pretty well exhausted now, but I expect (hope) I will have recovered by the morning. So, was it an unreasonable response on my part? Please imagine it was your daughter/granddaughter before you respond.

sazz1 Sun 03-Nov-19 19:40:08

My OH opened the door at 1am one night to an older lady with a collie dog who said she was being followed. Talking to her she said she had walked 100 miles to get away from them, witches and fairies proved it, they were whispering about her etc. Sadly obviously a mental health issue. We rang police but they wouldn't come. She then went into the road waving her arms so we rang police again and they came as she was in danger of getting killed. Took her and the dog away. Police told us she was hospitalised and dog went to dogs home shelter. Dog was old but well fed and in good condition. So sad but thinking about it we did take a risk letting her in as she could have been violent and the dog agressive Glad we did though so she got help and not knocked down on the road.

GeorgyGirl Sat 02-Nov-19 20:54:51

Well done GrannyActivist, it was a brave thing to do, but obviously your instincts reacted to the situation. I hope you feel better soon.

Tangerine Fri 01-Nov-19 22:19:05

I've had a similar experience and helped. In the cold light of day, I did think I ought to have been more careful but sometimes you just act instinctively.

Was it not possible for you to wake up the Wonderful Man so you would have had support?

I think you acted bravely.

Merryweather Fri 01-Nov-19 21:01:28

I do things like this. It restores your faith in human kindness as many people ignore and walk on by.
??? for you, strong courageous lady x

Callistemon Fri 01-Nov-19 20:31:47

A young man knocked on our door one winter's night (about 10 pm); he was shaking and saying that others were 'after him' and he had run up our road not realising it was a dead end. We did let him into the hallway and offered to call the police but he declined. After about 20 minutes he left again, saying that they had probably gone.

I did think afterwards that he could have had a knife or been conning us, but he did seem genuinely frightened.

GreenGran78 Fri 01-Nov-19 19:52:00

Sometimes we just act on instinct, and I'm glad that is what you did. Well done.
Some years ago I was driving towards our small town centre when I found the road blocked by a group of young men surrounding two others who were fighting. I jumped out of the car, marched over, and told them to stop being so stupid and go home. Somewhat surprisingly they did what I said, and dispersed.
Only afterwards did it cross my mind that I could have ended up in Casualty myself!

Saggi Fri 01-Nov-19 18:56:19

I would like to think I’d do the same. I always think of my own daughter when she was that age and hope somebody would’ve gone to her aide and take control of at least one aspect of the situation.... a young , vulnerable woman’s’ safety. Well done you.... you acted swiftly and correctly. You ‘did the right thing’ . Your other half should respect that!

Bathsheba Fri 01-Nov-19 17:30:53

Well done ga, you absolutely did the right thing. And I expect it's a pretty safe bet that your 'WM' refers to you as his 'WW', and rightly so wink

If any of my DC/DGC were in trouble I'd like to think there was someone like you around.

Mcrc Fri 01-Nov-19 17:14:37

As young people we were always told if we had to find help from a stranger look for a mother/grandmother for help. It sounds like you fulfilled that role. I think it is great. We have great instincts and our guys always want to be protective and sometimes forget that "we got this".

sweetonion Fri 01-Nov-19 15:47:45

Thank you for sharing your experience! Good to know of your open caring heart! The girl may not appreciate it in her younger years, but as she matures she may understand it better!

I hope I would show the same love toward a fellow human if in a similar situation.

Eva2 Fri 01-Nov-19 15:01:48

Respect. I admire you.

Madmaggie Fri 01-Nov-19 14:31:00

Well done Granny activist - you did the right thing. You were brave and strong. I often say my lovely man would sleep through WW111 as he takes his hearing aid out & then sleeps on his 'good' ear. At the time adrenalin kicks in and lifts you along but when it drops as it must you can be left quite discombobulated so be kind to yourself today. ???

grandtanteJE65 Fri 01-Nov-19 14:13:15

You did the right thing as well as the brave thing and honestly if your DH cannot see that, then he isn't all that wonderful.

BusterTank Fri 01-Nov-19 12:48:35

Well done to you but please be careful in the future , you just don't know what could happen . I hope the girls mother was thankful to you . I had an experience when i was walking my daughter home from school when she was younger . We was walking along a foot path by a river and four older girls was trying to push a younger boy in the river . Other parents just walk by and took no notice . The young lad was in obviously very upset , so I confronted the girls and pulled the boy out of the river with his bag . I walked the young lad home to make sure he got there save . When I got home i rung the local secondary school and told the head master what had happened . He told me the girls involved was already suspended and shouldn't be no where near the school . All I could think of what if he had drowned with his heavy back lack on . Thank God there are still some people about who do the decent thing .

Aepgirl Fri 01-Nov-19 12:32:27

Just like me, act now and think ‘what if’ later. Well done you.

Dillyduck Fri 01-Nov-19 12:30:24

I have CCTV for the house, and stay put!

annodomini Fri 01-Nov-19 12:14:35

Being the caring and courageous person we know, you could have done nothing else. The girl in question has good cause to be grateful as has her mum. And, clearly, the WM knows you well enough not to be either surprised or angry. He must be very proud of you.

cupcake1 Fri 01-Nov-19 12:02:07

Well done, very brave of you! I would love to say I would have reacted in the same way but hopefully I’ll never have to find out what reaction would kick in. I would definitely have woken DH up though!

pinkquartz Fri 01-Nov-19 11:53:52

well done grannyactivist that was heroic and caring.

NannyG123 Fri 01-Nov-19 11:53:40

You should be proud of yourself, and I'm sure your man will be as well. Although he may be a little upset that you didn't wake him. When my son was attacked many years ago( he was 18 at the time). It was 10,15 in the evening he was on his way home from a part time job, 2 houses he knocked on didn't answer the door, thankfully the 3rd house a man answered, took my son indoors phoned an ambulance, phoned me, and generally calmed my son( who'd been attacked with a knife). Until ambulance came. I went back a couple of days later with a thank you card from my son, and chocolates, etc for him and his mum, the man said I would hope if it was my son, someone would do the same for him.

Auntieflo Fri 01-Nov-19 11:49:09

Thanks for the update GA, see, you did do the right thing.

granjan66 Fri 01-Nov-19 11:41:16

I hope the girl appreciated your kindness. There are so many people nowadays who don't want to get involved. You should be congratulated for caring.

grannyactivist Fri 01-Nov-19 11:31:27

Not telling about the incident was not an option, this is a small where people know each other and word quickly gets out, but I did also want to tell him about my adventure.

The girl turned out to be the Saturday girl at my hairdressers and she told me that she couldn’t wait to tell her boss (who’s a close friend of a friend of mine) how kind I’d been. hmm

paintingthetownred Fri 01-Nov-19 11:28:38

I thank you for doing what you did. Heaven forbid my own DD got into such trouble when she is older, but if that ever did happen , as a mother I would be eternally grateful to you for doing what you did.

Sounds like you were sensible and took precautions.
all best
painting

Jillybird Fri 01-Nov-19 11:23:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.