Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel annoyed with my husband

(81 Posts)
maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 23:05:08

I think I am being unreasonable to be honest, but just want to share this upset with you lovely ladies. I’m feeling very upset with my husband at the moment and I’m also upset with myself.
We booked a dream holiday, four days in Australia, then board the cruise ship, and after the first port of Melbourne, we cruise to New Zealand and visit the fiords and both islands, returning from Auckland. We booked last Spring and in the Summer I checked to make sure if we needed any visas for Australia or New Zealand. No visa required for New Zealand but a 90 day tourist visa, obtainable online, was required for Australia. I discussed with Mr M and said we should apply. No need yet he declared. The website says it only takes 1/2 days to issue the visa online. No paper required. So we waited. I spoke to him on about 3 more occasions but he always said there was no need yet. I said I would do it, that evoked a cross response, no need yet, there’s plenty of time. Finally on 3rd November (we’re due to travel on 15th November) he succumbed to my wishes and filled in the application form. True to what was said, my visa arrived exactly two days later. His is not here yet. Today he phoned the relevant body in Australia, who told him there was no way it can expedited, it will arrive when it arrives. She also told us 90% of applications are turned around in 1/2 days. We just have to wait. Hopefully it will arrive before next Friday, but upon further investigations online, it appears a few visas take between 3 days and many days. The website also advises that you should apply at least 14 days in advance of travel in order to most likely receive your visa.
Mr M is a lovely man, a hard worker, and devoted son, father and grandfather. He is also a very good husband, but he is a control freak very independent. I recognise this and I know he needs to do things his way, and I know he likes to get on with helping our children with repairs etc, doing things around our own home, doing a massive amount of childcare for our children (I do as well, but he’ll frequently do it on his own) doing his gardening and a lot of other stuff. He’s rarely relaxing, always on the go, often helping other people. However, when I said I’ll do the application, he takes that as criticism of himself and gets a bit irritable.
Now it looks like it’s very possible we may not be able to go, and I feel annoyed with him. I’m also annoyed with myself for not disregarding him and just doing the application myself. We’ll only be able to claim part of the cost back from our insurance, so we’ll lose money as well as our long looked forward to holiday.
Sorry for the long post, but I know I’m being unreasonable to be annoyed with Mr M but I’m still asking you ladies what you think.

maddyone Mon 09-Dec-19 12:07:48

Callistemon, if you enjoy doing self drive tours, which we do, I can recommend the southern states of the USA. We went earlier this year, arrived in New Orleans, spent a few days there, and then picked up a car and drove up to Memphis, following the Mississippi River. We did a round trip (the flights are cheaper that way, rather flying in to one city and out from another) but we found the whole area fascinating. We drove through Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee. It was very interesting, the site of the conclusive battle of the civil war, the civil rights movement, Elvis Presley’s house, and a whole lot more. We were made welcome everywhere, apparently very few British people ever venture further than New Orleans. One lady told me she’d never met a British person before.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 13:00:44

We wouldn't normally do self-drive, maddyone, SIL was driving which was great!
The Southern States sound very interesting and off the normal tourist tracks.

Have you heard the news?
www.theguardian.com/world/2019/dec/09/white-island-new-zealand-volcano-eruption-with-tourist-present
Apparently people from a cruise ship were touring the island when the volcano erupted
sad

maddyone Mon 09-Dec-19 13:44:22

Yes, I heard that, it’s terrible. The cruise ship was a Royal Caribbean I think. DH told that there were warnings about a possible eruption, if true then that tour shouldn’t have run in my opinion. I certainly wouldn’t have been on it anyway, but that’s assuming I knew. I remember our ship offering that tour but we didn’t take it.

Namsnanny Mon 09-Dec-19 15:26:34

maddyone ...was the reason you didn't take the tour to the volcano one of safety or just time constrants?

maddyone Mon 09-Dec-19 18:36:38

Namsnanny, we had already booked a small group private tour ( not run by the ship) before we left. We were in that port for two days but we did an independent exploration the first day, which included a beautiful 6 kilometre walk around one of the most beautiful parts of Tauranga called Mount Maunganui where we hoped to see seals but weren’t lucky in that respect, and in the afternoon we did a short independent trip to town. The next day we did our prearranged small group tour to Whakarewarewa Maori village, and to see the hot springs, the Redwood trees, and the Kiwifarm. All very interesting. So no, we didn’t have any more time in that area, but although the trip to White Island looked interesting, I was more interested to do the things we actually did.