Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel the BBC should be impartial?

(116 Posts)
Persistentdonor Mon 11-Nov-19 10:07:38

Yesterday, live footage from the Cenotaph showed our PM looking less than smart, stumbling around and presenting his wreath upside down, while H.M. Queen watched from a balcony.
Today, on BBC morning news, the 2019 Cenotaph ceremony was reported, showing a clip from 2106 of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary, looking smart in a suit, and watched by H.M. Queen standing at street level.

I am horrified to know that the BBC is manipulating public opinion in this way. I thought the BBC is supposed to be fair and impartial. Clearly I was wrong. angry

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 10:28:59

I've heard both left wing and right wing supporters complain that the BBC is biased, so must conclude that they are veer from one to the other!

Not having seen the actual ceremony or the subsequent old footage, I shouldn't comment on that.

Calendargirl Tue 12-Nov-19 10:33:28

Nonnie

Actually I do hear many people say ‘Get Brexit done’, not on tv, just in general conversation, meaning the politicians need to do it.

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 10:39:28

I have heard that too, in RL, Calendargirl, both from those who voted leave and remain.
Most have said "Just get on with it now, preferably with a deal".

A few have said "we should just forget it"!
But it's not that easy.

ayse Tue 12-Nov-19 10:50:22

No organisation nor individual is impartial. Independence from political interference is the best that can be hoped for.

The general public generally seem far better at expressing their honest opinions, even if one does not agree with them.

Totally p****d off with the whole lot

Callistemon Tue 12-Nov-19 10:54:43

Actually, I think your last paragraph probably sums up the views of many of us, ayse!

Nonnie Tue 12-Nov-19 10:55:13

Calendargirl Tue 12-Nov-19 10:33:28 but do they know what it means? They want it all to stop, I think we all do but are they aware that it will go on for years and years if we carry on with it? Do they know that if Torys win the election it is most likely talks will fail within the timeline and we will leave with no deal? Are they aware of the cost of that? I am very suspicious about the reason for not giving an impact assessment, seems they find it very easy to assess the impact of another party gaining power!

AllTheLs Tue 12-Nov-19 10:59:29

It's funny - my friend and I have totally opposing views on whether the BBC is right- or left-biased. And we both have 'evidence' to back up our claims.

spabbygirl Tue 12-Nov-19 11:01:26

The BBC has an awful right wing bias, anti-semitism in the Labour Party is said to be rife and always getting coverage, but similar concerns about islamophobia in the Tory party gets limited coverage on the BBC and most major newspapers. So much of our media is owned by billionaires who really don't want Corbyn in & George Osbourne's best man was in the BBC politics dept that it is no wonder they reflect the 'needs' of the ruling class

ayse Tue 12-Nov-19 11:04:47

Yes, as someone stated in another post the winners write history. It seems this applies equally to current affairs etc.

jura2 Tue 12-Nov-19 12:15:51

AllTheLs - well, in this case, it is crystal clear. So was the reporting of Corbyn's anorak last year.

We pay a large licence fee for the privilege of having a neutral, fair BBC. I therefore feel we need to know if the BBC chose to clearly manipulate coverage- or if they were instructed to do so, and by whom? Do you not agree?

jura2 Tue 12-Nov-19 12:50:31

What do you think?

jura2 Tue 12-Nov-19 12:51:42

just testing - as it seems this thread never appears on the 'latest' board- but has to be specifically searched for.

jura2 Tue 12-Nov-19 12:52:25

It is- good. Thanks.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Nov-19 12:53:23

kitty what intelligent and sensible children you have brought up ?

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 12:58:53

The BBC were probably keeping on the right side of the government to protect the licence fee.

So funny to choose a clip with a completely different wreath though. grin

SirChenjin Tue 12-Nov-19 13:19:48

You're all wrong - the only bias in the BBC is its bias in favour of England and all things English. It's like the rest of us don't exist.

Seems we all have our views on the BBC!

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 14:24:23

Well, they had that programme about the investiture of the Prince of Wales.

Fiachna50 Tue 12-Nov-19 14:26:34

The BBC have never been impartial or unbiased. I no longer watch any news programmes. I go online or watch Euronews sometimes.

SirChenjin Tue 12-Nov-19 14:38:35

That’s very true Gonegirl - it was before I was even born but I’ve heard tell of such a programme...

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 14:51:18

It was on last week.

Gonegirl Tue 12-Nov-19 14:53:01

And anyway, doesn't Scotland want to be independent? Get yer own telly programmes. wink

SirChenjin Tue 12-Nov-19 15:07:48

Typical English response- path! No, Scotland doesn’t want to be independent, according to all the opinion polls...although after the 12th December that could very well change, depending on the outcome! ????????

SirChenjin Tue 12-Nov-19 15:08:14

Pah! even...

jura2 Tue 12-Nov-19 15:22:36

Do you not think we should know how this 'mistake' was made- and especially if it was an instructions from 'above' and if so, from whom?

suziewoozie Tue 12-Nov-19 15:53:12

Rob Burley ( some BBC News Editor) has explained in great detail on Twitter this ‘mistake’. Apparently they were all tired/ young/inexperienced/overworked ( delete as appropriate) , That’s all you can expect isn’t it? I would guess they’ll be a bit more careful for the next week or two. What they should have done of course was to put the explanation out and an apology at the same times the next day as the misleading footage was aired accompanied by the correct footage. But that would never happen.