Gransnet forums

AIBU

Empathy for Our Queen? ( As a Mother)

(282 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 20-Nov-19 14:52:39

In the light of recent events, and as mothers & Grandmothers
How much empathy/ sympathy do we have for The Queen ?

She has always been so stoic, & has now been badly let down, will she / should she consider sending PA to the tower ( or the outer Hebrides) for a cooling off period. ?
She certainly does not deserve this at her time of life & dedication to her role.
I definitely feel for her, The Christmas speech should be interesting !

jura2 Wed 20-Nov-19 17:49:37

yes, I really feel sorry for her- as a mother- but also that she has to be seen to support Johnson. Two massive liars ...she deserves better.

Callistemon Wed 20-Nov-19 17:54:50

I feel for her as a mother too and she obviously believes her son's excuses. However, her advisers are either poor or she has ignored them to stand by him so publicly.

She does not need this having done such a sterling job as our Head of State for all these years.

MawB sorry to disagree but no Commonwealth country deserves him as Governor General where he could indulge himself as he wished.

There have been so many other shady deals he has allegedly been involved with; his ex-wife knows the truth and both of them are a disgrace to the royal Family and to the UK.

MawB Wed 20-Nov-19 18:11:22

Oh Callistemon don’t be a spoilsport.
There must be a corner of deepest Bongo bongo land, perhaps where the natives are cannibals......grin
(PS please don’t anybody pounce on me for Bongo bongo land -it’s called irony)

FlexibleFriend Wed 20-Nov-19 18:12:59

At his age he's the only person who should be held accountable for his behaviour. I know parents always feel responsible for their offspring but it's ridiculous to hold a woman in her 90's accountable for his actions. She should sack him but she won't, apparently he's her favourite so no chance of him getting the boot. He has had a proper job, he was a helicopter pilot during the falklands war but he's done as little as possible since then. He gets mummy to appoint him to a position where he can wine and dine and play golf to promote trade etc which could be done more effectively by a minister for a fraction of the cost. There are far too many hangers on in the royal family who do very little to earn their keep.

loopylou Wed 20-Nov-19 18:13:07

The BBC have announced he's standing down from public life for the foreseeable future so goodness knows what's going on behind the scenes.
I do feel a little for HMQ but she's the one who's fondly smiled upon her golden boy and turned a blind eye to his various exploits so surely must take some blame?
There was a very interesting article about him in Monday's Guardian newspaper, very enlightening.
I suspect a great deal more is about to be exposed hence getting him away from the public eye before he digs himself deeper into the sh1t.

Callistemon Wed 20-Nov-19 18:13:34

Oh, ok

Now which deserted island was it where Tom Hanks got stranded?

Callistemon Wed 20-Nov-19 18:15:15

Yes, loopylou this could be the tip of a very sleazy and corrupt iceberg.

Bagatelle Wed 20-Nov-19 18:26:08

I feel for her. She carries on through it all: Charles & Diana, Randy Andy, Andy & Fergie, all the divorces, all Prince Philip's gaffes, Harry & Meghan, Andrew again; at her age and she's still head of state.

I wonder if anyone ever asks her if she's OK.

suziewoozie Wed 20-Nov-19 18:32:50

We can’t compare HMs relationship with PA to any normal mother son relationship. He’s always been completely dependent on her for money ( I hardly think he could live on an RN officers salary) and therefore ‘employed ‘ by her in dressing up in finery and appearing on balconies and at state banquets. He appears ( or did) at all major functions and was part of the so-called firm. Therefore how he behaved in his private life was of great import and she should have been thinking of the country and what we have a right to expect. Apart from the JE connection, he has long had links with a range of extremely rich and unsavoury oligarchs ( which probably explains ski lodges etc). It was her duty to make sure that he was fit for purpose by instructing others not just to indulge him.

suziewoozie Wed 20-Nov-19 18:34:03

I wonder if she ever asks herself why her family have had so many ‘problems’

hulahoop Wed 20-Nov-19 18:39:12

He will still be getting his money from the civil list if he wasn't a royal he would probably loose his job and have no income so he is like Harry having a good holiday on taxpayers money . I think he should lose his title as well its time the civil list was whittled down .

Nortsat46 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:40:17

Empathy for the Queen?, not really ... no.

Following the BBC announcement that P Andrew is stepping back from public life, he will presumably decline his £250,000 annual income from the Crown.
Then he could retire quietly to his £13million Swiss Chalet or his 30 room Lodge in Windsor.

Iam64 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:44:47

MawBroon - are we distantly related? I only ask because your earlier suggestion about a far flung corner of the colonies (the antipodeans) was what I suggested for PA earlier this week. If only I was his mum/the Queen I said to Mr Iam, he'd be off to some far flung corner of our empire, oh B, we don't have one - well the commonwealth then.

I suspect his older brother had a hand in PA reaching this decision. Yes, the issue of paying him from the public purse has to be considered. Who is going to foot the bill for his daughter's wedding next year? I know there will have to be security, no argument from me about the cost of that but why can't she buy a frock on eBay and have a festival party like everyone else?

Iam64 Wed 20-Nov-19 18:46:31

Apologies for ignoring the OP and simply responding to MawB. Yes, I do feel for the Queen, it's awful when adult children, especially those in their 60's go so badly wrong. Especially when it's in public and shames the firm. And involved the sexual exploitation of vulnerable teenage girls. Yuk

MissAdventure Wed 20-Nov-19 18:50:45

I'm sure she is mortified.

This is in a whole different league as far to the usual family ups and downs.

Yes, I do feel sorry for her.

HurdyGurdy Wed 20-Nov-19 18:52:07

loopylou - "I suspect a great deal more is about to be exposed hence getting him away from the public eye before he digs himself deeper into the sh1t."
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I suspect there will be several more revelations in the media over the coming weeks and months and none of them shining a positive light on Andrew.

My husband was in the Royal Navy around the same time that Andrew was serving. He never served with him, but has said that no one he has ever spoken to who did serve with him, had a good word to say for him.

I remember Andrew on the night that Windsor Castle was on fire, running around like a thoroughly over-excited schoolboy, flitting from one set of TV cameras to another, and lapping up the limelight. Thoroughly un-Royal.

EllanVannin Wed 20-Nov-19 18:57:32

It's his continuing arrogance that gets me. No remorse whatsoever toward those he's hurt. It would serve him right if he gets extradited at some point that would wipe away the arrogance.

We all have our crosses to bear throughout life for one reason or another and the Queen is no different, except that we're not in the public arena, which over the years has been quite challenging for her especially over Diana's death when the public turned against her as that must have felt dreadful.

However, she's been strong and still continues to be so ,like her mother before her.

notanan2 Wed 20-Nov-19 19:11:00

I feel for Beatrice and Eugiene too

Re the Queen, we do not know. She may have been tearing her hair out over him for years or she may have been excusing and enabling his bad behaviour behind the scenes

sarahellenwhitney Wed 20-Nov-19 19:12:04

susiewoosie
I am sure the queen would have been deeply disturbed was it known to her she had lost your respect by allowing herself to be photographed in the presence of her son.

notanan2 Wed 20-Nov-19 19:15:31

While the experiences of the victims are shocking, nobody is really that shocked/surprised that PA was involved. He has a history of bad behaviour so its hardly wildly out of character.

If I was to hear that say prince William was involved in something like that I would be VERY shocked/surprised, but is anyone really surprised about PA? No.

SirChenjin Wed 20-Nov-19 20:00:18

She certainly does seem to have more than her fair share of wastrels - perhaps that’s what extreme wealth and privilege does to people.

I can’t say I feel much sympathy to her. To the people who have fallen victim to her children and husband, yes, but not to her particularly.

sodapop Wed 20-Nov-19 20:16:39

Judging by some of the problems on GN a lot of families have their difficulties. The Queen's are just more public than most.

suziewoozie Wed 20-Nov-19 22:34:58

sarah what a pathetic childish post - clearly nothing of any value to contribute to the thread then?

sukie Thu 21-Nov-19 04:27:22

sodapop good post!

Gingergirl Thu 21-Nov-19 09:38:47

The Queen has weathered many a storm in her time and I think this is just another one. I also agree with the sentiment posted earlier of innocent until proven guilty....the media have had a field day with this one....?everyone has too much to say imo and we need to wait a while for the truth to out.