Gransnet forums

AIBU

Empathy for Our Queen? ( As a Mother)

(282 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 20-Nov-19 14:52:39

In the light of recent events, and as mothers & Grandmothers
How much empathy/ sympathy do we have for The Queen ?

She has always been so stoic, & has now been badly let down, will she / should she consider sending PA to the tower ( or the outer Hebrides) for a cooling off period. ?
She certainly does not deserve this at her time of life & dedication to her role.
I definitely feel for her, The Christmas speech should be interesting !

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 17:56:20

It's a plant, well a tree.

Resembles me when it flowers.

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 17:30:36

It’s not a word I was familiar with, doesn’t everyone have to check how someone spells a name rather than just presume. Seems odd to suggest someone can’t spell because they do this. Btw I don’t “loath” the queen, I don’t know her, but I loath the concept of a royal family. What makes you think I “dream of being a queen”, using the word “queen” after another word suggests something totally different.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 17:11:58

I don't think it's odd, it just seems an odd choice as you appear to loathe the queen so much yet you appear to be dreaming of being a queen.

You said upthread that you had to go back to check how to spell my username, now you say you certainly can spell it.

confused

I was going to say welcome if you are new poster.

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 17:07:25

Oh I can certainly spell it, strange that you think my names odd though. Condescending much? What’s the relevance of whether I’m a new poster?

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 17:05:10

Are you a new poster, dreanqueen or a returnees?

By the way, if you check, I think you will find my username is a real word, not one invented by me.

If you can't spell it, I'm sorry. You don't have to use it.

I don't believe in fairytales, am not gullible but I am pragmatic.

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 16:57:55

No it isn’t a straight forward matter as checking the gas bill. This was bound to be something that had to be passed by her. It was a mean, greedy and selfish act, obviously something you don’t want to believe. But it happened. But even if you are right and she didn’t know about it, it doesn’t change the fact that the monarchy feel huge entitlement to the money and privilege they get. There really isn’t any middle ground. The rich elite are happy to hoard the wealth whilst the poor get screwed over and get poorer. It’s appalling.

Anniebach Sat 04-Jan-20 16:36:16

dreamqueen you surely don’t think the Queen checks all paperwork for her residences ? Wine cellar payments, checks the electric bills, vets bills, petrol bills, etc

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 16:24:34

Anniebach Why on earth would the queen be filling in forms confused , that wouldn’t be how things worked. But something like that would had to have been passed by her first. It’s irrelevant who wrote the letter, it was on behalf of the queen, that’s all we need to know. .

Anniebach Sat 04-Jan-20 15:51:30

dreamqueen you really think the queen sat down and filled in application forms for cold weather payments? ?

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 15:19:21

No I’d prefer a head of state that was democratically elected, not there through the accident of birth, and one who would cost the country far less than the royal family do, with all their hangers on. Ireland’s presidency is 2 and a half times cheaper, works well, they don’t have to pay for the security of 21 family members (as is the case with the RF) and they get voted out democraticly and fairly if the people decide.

Cherrytree59 Sat 04-Jan-20 14:58:58

dreamqueen Perhaps you would prefer a head of state who is without personal wealth and receives no financal reward from the state.
Maybe a Trump or a Putin??

As for names, would not dreamPresident be a more suitable moniker?

grannymy Sat 04-Jan-20 14:47:26

I really feel for the Queen and feel that she shouldn't have to put up with this utter nonsense regarding PA. Of course he is so arrogant that he thought he'd get away with it. She has been a great Queen and could do without this scandal and rubbish.

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 14:38:51

And Callistmon the queen has a personal fortune of approx £365 million, yet she was applying for a slice of the old people’s cold weather grant. Doesn’t sound like a woman who wants to part with her cash.

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 14:36:07

Callistemon no you dream on, carry on being gullible and believing in fairy tales. Btw your user name is one of those odd ones that we have to keep going back to to check the spelling. Not a real word.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 14:31:07

Do you have inside information dreamqueen

You do not know whether or the Queen and other members of the RF make financial contributions to charity.

How can you possibly know one way or another?

Your post are your own personal suppositions, not facts.

Dream on.

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 14:26:02

Anniebach none of us know her but if we shouldn’t give opinions on that basis, why is it ok to say how wonderful she is (as many do) if they don’t know her. I said she isn’t maternal going off what we HAVE seen.

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 14:21:05

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/queen-tried-to-use-state-poverty-fund-to-heat-buckingham-palace-2088179.html

Anniebach why would I make something up that a simple google search would find. I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss anything as “rubbish” till I’d checked.

Anniebach Sat 04-Jan-20 13:36:32

The queen applied for cold weather payments ? What rubbish

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 13:33:50

And no, the idea of the queen being the “anonymous donor” is laughable. They support charities simply by giving their name to them. Not long ago the queen applied for a handout from the pensioners cold weather fund. How charitable was that.

Anniebach Sat 04-Jan-20 13:30:08

Amazed that some know the Queen personally, - without a
maternal bone in her body !

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 13:19:22

Callistenab the royal finances are shrouded in secrecy, and no I dream of being a republic. A hereditary monarchy has no place in a democratic, supposedly equal society. It’s wrong on every single level.

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 12:36:40

The Sovereign Grant Financial Report is a public document for anyone to scrutinise if they wish, so I doubt any taxpayers' money goes into their private funds.

If you're worried about that you can always ask for more information.

what funny username to choose dreamqueen - do you have aspirations of being a monarch?

Callistemon Sat 04-Jan-20 12:31:47

Neither of you know that, it's only what you surmise.

How do you know the Queen and others do not donate vast sums to charity? You don't know. They probably do.

'Anonymous donor' - could be HM.

Grany Sat 04-Jan-20 11:54:46

Agree dreamqueen

Any excess from the money they are given is saved private investments

And Queen has a 10 million off shore tax haven.
They care only about themselves

The Queen is extremely wealthy.

Private income from The two Duchys
As well as travel paid and security

dreamqueen Sat 04-Jan-20 11:25:23

No I don’t feel sorry for the queen at all. I se her as a greedy, cold, formidable person without a maternal bone in her body. Does she care for all the desperate people at the foodbanks, those lying cold and hungry in shop doorways, those poor people on universal credit that can’t feed their children? I highly doubt it. The rich elite care nothing, so I’m sure I don’t care about them.