Gransnet forums

AIBU

funding Labour manifesto promises

(159 Posts)
humptydumpty Fri 22-Nov-19 13:03:11

I was listening to a Conservative (minister?) talking on Today this morning, and criticising Lasbour for needing to put up taxes, whereas their promises were freebies (yeah right).

AIBU to think that if we are to get better services of whatever sort, we would/should expect to pay for them? after all, in our private lives this is our experience every day - if you want to have something, you have to pay for it, above and beyond what you would otherwise have spent.

Am I missing something here??

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 15:40:05

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right
Here I am
Stuck in the middle with WHO?

All by myself ....

Calendargirl Fri 22-Nov-19 15:44:06

Nationalisation is a complete waste of money. When BT was in public ownership, you had to wait in a queue for a telephone line, and the quality of service was one of the worst in Europe. The reason for this was simple. As nationalised industries, the public utilities had no interest in efficiency or value for money.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 15:44:28

Hilarious: “Alexa, write me a manifesto” ‼️

Whitewavemark2 Fri 22-Nov-19 15:46:17

lemon unless you can supply evidence for your assertions - and you can’t - then it is all hot air.

lemongrove Fri 22-Nov-19 15:48:11

..... much like the LP manifesto then WWM2 ?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 22-Nov-19 15:52:44

See knew you couldn’t.

Don’t you find it embarrassing being constantly called out and never being able to back up your posts?

MaizieD Fri 22-Nov-19 16:19:40

Tax receipts do not fund spending

It's a myth

I think that many people had the same reactions as you lot to Roosevelt's New Deal. A massive programme of government spending which lifted the USA out of depression in the 1930s (it funded the building of the Hoover Dam for example)

Government spending will lift the economy, putting money in people's pockets and giving lots of stimulus to private companies. All spending on wages and UK businesses will eventually return to the Treasury by way of taxation, apart from what people save.

Please stop being hung up on the myth that a national economy is like a household economy. It isn't.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 16:30:58

I enjoy lemongrove’s posts! She is always cheery, amusing and unfazed by criticism. (deserved or not)

I do realise we oughtnt to be flippant about important topics but I admit to enjoying some lighthearted ‘virtual conversation’ on them. Otherwise it can get a bit stodgy and po faced (and a bit off-putting to be honest).

Surely I’m not the only bear with little brain who does LIKE to join in with the big hitting beasts on here?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 22-Nov-19 17:36:48

Jolyon Rubinstein
@JolyonRubs
The Labour Party Manifesto is the most progressive & impressive manifesto of my life time. It offers genuine and substantial change ends Privatisation of public services, puts huge amounts of much needed funding into the NHS and moves us towards a green industrial revolution.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Nov-19 18:14:58

MaizieD if tax revenue received does not fund spending............Labour and Corbyns “manifesto” is just a “myth” and they are truly the party of “envy taxes” and totally against anyone who wants to better themselves!!!!!

lemongrove Fri 22-Nov-19 18:35:25

No WWM2 I never feel embarrassed about being, as you put it ‘called out’ especially as I have no idea which bit you are calling me out for.?
I gather you are annoyed by my remarks on the LP manifesto, but let me tell you, millions of people are either laughing at it or are deeply worried that if the LP were to get into power they would ruin the economy in the next five
years, plus they would plunge us into another year of uncertainty with two referendums.?

lemongrove Fri 22-Nov-19 18:36:51

I thang kew Urmston and your humour just made me smile as well ( big hitting beasts on here.......where ?!) ?

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 18:44:39

Also GG13 (hi there over in Kenya ?) ....

if Labour’s proposed referendum on their super duper ‘new deal’ with the EU comes to Remain in their planned referendum on it (who knows?) then some off their plans won’t even leave the starting block!

WeekendVisit Fri 22-Nov-19 18:47:18

Labour will nationalise utilities, then ten years later the Tories will sell them off.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 18:49:29

Perhaps you could explain that to Jeremy Corbyn who says he is going to tax higher earners to help to fund his plans. (Note said help).

If tax receipts do not fund spending why would he need to tax anyone?

tax receipts do not fund spending
All spending - will return to the Treasury by way of taxation

Yes, we know it's not like a household budget.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 18:52:30

According to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, Labour proposes spending 2.3% more than the last Government by 2023/24.

Hardly a revolutionary amount.

How is he going to fund all this?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Nov-19 18:52:39

Hi Urmstongran, nice and hot here just relaxing at our sons home and thought I would catch up with the “comedy show” which is Labours manifesto.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 18:56:00

Probably quite right WeekendVisit
?
Good point!

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 18:57:48

Right.
Cava poured and I’m settling down now to watch the extended QT ... half an hour each of Corbyn, Sturgeon, Swinson and Boris.

I must be a glutton for punishment!

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 18:59:40

That's going to be quite a job, working out who is owed what if all utilities are re-nationalised!

I think water could be run as non-profit companies such as they do in Wales.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 19:01:39

So where's Plaid Cymru?

MaizieD Fri 22-Nov-19 19:20:20

You don't make any sense to me, GG13. Sorry.

How do you draw that conclusion from what I posted?

Taxation is the tool whereby inflation is controlled. Too much money in the 'system' is inflationary. That would indeed be very silly. It also prevents monopolisation of resources by the wealthy and helps to redistribute them more fairly.

You talk of envy, but, thinking about it, I really can't see that any person has a God Given right to have more of the earth's resources than their fellow humans. Especially when they are keeping to themselves more than they could ever have any use for.

I don't have a problem with discrepancies in wealth but for some people to have more than they could ever need while others are barely subsisting feels obscene. I'm not envious of them, just angry.

Callistemon Fri 22-Nov-19 19:44:37

Why, then, do I have a nice little pie chart attached to my tax return telling me how my tax has been and what it has funded?

I should add that I am glad to contribute my miniscule amount to the coffers in the belief that it was helping to fund services.

Our substantial Council tax goes to fund local services and we personally receive little benefit in exchange for our tax; however, that is how it works in theory and we are happy that this is so, although in practice our Council's spending is questionable.

trisher Fri 22-Nov-19 19:53:49

lemon you state population growth as being a reason for poor services and more demands on the NHS and education. But between 1998 and 2010 the growth was approximately the same as between 2010 and 2019- approx 4 mill. And services were better because education and the NHS were properly funded and invested in. www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/timeseries/ukpop/pop
The argument about Unions and disruptions is unsupported if you look at the real evidence. Unions have existed since 1889. The period of disruption is minimal compared with the length of their history. It should also be taken into account that Labour plan to give workers a say in the running of companies, workers with a real investment in the company will be even less likely to take industrial action.
Returning the country to one run on the same lines as it was after WW2 is something I would love to see. It's the sort of country I want my GCs too grow up in.

MaizieD Fri 22-Nov-19 19:58:07

Why, then, do I have a nice little pie chart attached to my tax return telling me how my tax has been and what it has funded?

Because perpetrating the myth stops questions being asked.