Gransnet forums

AIBU

funding Labour manifesto promises

(159 Posts)
humptydumpty Fri 22-Nov-19 13:03:11

I was listening to a Conservative (minister?) talking on Today this morning, and criticising Lasbour for needing to put up taxes, whereas their promises were freebies (yeah right).

AIBU to think that if we are to get better services of whatever sort, we would/should expect to pay for them? after all, in our private lives this is our experience every day - if you want to have something, you have to pay for it, above and beyond what you would otherwise have spent.

Am I missing something here??

M0nica Mon 25-Nov-19 20:19:39

trisher, all I can say is that as a London and then outer London commuter the trains I travelled in were unreliable, late and dirty antiquated old stock that should have been replaced decades before.

I travel now between York and Oxford, 2 different lines and also Oxford to France and Germany and I have never had any problem with travelling with 2 different rail franchises. The trains now running are modern, and they run to time. They are not constantly cancelled because the train or the one in front has broken down,

As I said, I agree with you that the railways should not be run as they are now, but there are many other ways of running a public interest industry without it being run by the state, which has a very poor management and investment history.

trisher Tue 26-Nov-19 11:27:19

M0nica you have been lucky. The percentage of trains arriving on time for some companies is less than 50%. And none manage 100% the highest figure is for trains arriving within 15 mins of expected time which is in the region of 90%.
dataportal.orr.gov.uk/statistics/performance/passenger-rail-performance/
If these are good performance figures I dread to think what bad ones must be like.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Nov-19 12:47:30

This is how our NHS will be funded
Our social care will be funded
Our infrastructure will be built
Our public services supported
Our country will be saved

Callistemon Tue 26-Nov-19 13:02:22

They could, of course, just cancel HS2.

so much simpler

Yehbutnobut Tue 26-Nov-19 13:20:42

Trains running on time? Not in my experience.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 26-Nov-19 15:30:47

This is big. 163 economists and academics have backed Labour's spending plans in that well known Trotskyist rag - the Financial Times.

M0nica Tue 26-Nov-19 22:02:05

Can you give a link, please, Whitwavemark2

My problem is not the policies but the delivery. There has not been an economically competent Labour government in my lifetime and the industries that I would welcome back into community ownership I do not want to see back in state ownership because they were so badly run and inefficient last time they were state run.

spabbygirl Sat 07-Dec-19 19:58:11

Labour will collect taxes properly from the likes of amazon etc & many of the newspapers which is why they loathe Corbyn, the daily mail owner for example, is a non-dom plus has offshore wealth, ditto Sky news & others, that's why you won't get a balanced appraisal in most of the press.
state ownership is better value because we don't have to pay shareholders, so that money can go to front line services. Labour managed the economy fine, but last time they bailed out the banks, which most agree was a good idea