Gransnet forums

AIBU

funding Labour manifesto promises

(158 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 22-Nov-19 13:55:32

Putting the level of spending into perspective. Click to enlarge the image.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 22-Nov-19 13:52:28

The Labour Manifesto

labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-2019.pdf

varian Fri 22-Nov-19 13:48:17

No party can possibly claim to have a properly cunded manifesto until we know whether we will remain in tbe EU or suffer the huge loss of revenue that would result from leaving.

Daisymae Fri 22-Nov-19 13:41:17

I think that if we want to live in a decent, safe country then yes we will have to pay. Surely that's worth it? I fail to see how anyone who uses, or hopes to use the NHS will not vote labour. It's time for a change in policy.

Urmstongran Fri 22-Nov-19 13:41:14

Seems the richest 5% had better stay put because Corbyn has said they will be the only ones facing tax rises!

Free university tuition fees, free dental check-ups, personal care for the elderly, free broadband, free television licences for over-75s and more.

The bill adds up to £82 billion, by Labour’s own costings, almost twice the price of Corbyn’s last manifesto – and that’s before we count the £196 billion of borrowing for the various nationalisations. But, we’re told, 95% of the population need not worry - It will all be drawn from the tax-dodging rich!

The Institute for Fiscal Studies, which does its best to be politically neutral, is now running out of polite ways to say how damaging all of this would be. “It’s impossible to overstate just how extraordinary this manifesto is, just in terms of the sheer scale of money being spent and raised through the tax system,” said Paul Johnson, its director. “Vast numbers. Enormous. Colossal.”

dragonfly46 Fri 22-Nov-19 13:33:45

I would be happy to pay more tax but would hope it would be spent wisely. I will not be voting Labour.

yggdrasil Fri 22-Nov-19 13:17:17

No of course you are not being unreasonable. Except maybe in listening to a Conservative Minister who would only talk about Labour not his own party's policies.
And if you read the Labour manifesto, you will see that the taxes they intend to raise are on people earning over £80,000. Which isn't me, and probably not you, but certainly that Minister:-)

humptydumpty Fri 22-Nov-19 13:03:11

I was listening to a Conservative (minister?) talking on Today this morning, and criticising Lasbour for needing to put up taxes, whereas their promises were freebies (yeah right).

AIBU to think that if we are to get better services of whatever sort, we would/should expect to pay for them? after all, in our private lives this is our experience every day - if you want to have something, you have to pay for it, above and beyond what you would otherwise have spent.

Am I missing something here??