Gransnet forums

AIBU

If you were sitting at a bus stop in the pouring rain....

(115 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 22-Nov-19 21:44:27

...with a couple of old blokes also waiting for the bus and a man in a car called from his open car window, "that would make a lovely photo", would you have a. Smiled and laughed along with him, or b. Flipped him the bird for being so bloody patronising and ageist?

timetogo2016 Sat 23-Nov-19 12:56:44

A 100%.
Silliness makes the world go round just like small talk.

EllaKeat Sat 23-Nov-19 14:47:29

How strange to think that way.

I passed a group of women - 5 or 6 2omen in, I would guess, their 40's at a bus stop about six months ago. It was peeing down with rain, but they had brollies up and were absolutely howling with laughter at something.
It was a beautiful sight, and I would have been tempted tomtell them so had I been closer.

Not ageist, just a nice person making a lovely comment. Poor blighter?

EllaKeat Sat 23-Nov-19 14:48:33

Sorry for typos, my fingers are not working to well today!

BlueBelle Sat 23-Nov-19 15:06:27

Wouldn’t bother me I d have waved or blown him a kiss Did it bother the blokes?
Perhaps you did look funny were you in the middle like see no evil speak no evil hear no evil or perhaps he thought you were the rose between the thorns

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 15:12:23

It's not strange. I can spot ageism a mile off. grin

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 15:13:25

I live my life watching out for ageism.

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 15:13:52

I should have put this under "Everyday Ageism".

MamaCaz Sat 23-Nov-19 15:19:33

It wouldn't have crossed my mind that it was ageist if I had been in that position. I would just have put it down to perhaps our p****d-off expressions, due to the weather, or something along those lines.

Namsnanny Sat 23-Nov-19 15:29:25

The thing is we are never satisfied.
For example if it were 3 young girls they would have most likely given him the v sign or the American finger and called him sexist!
I recon it was as someone else said just 3 nice looking oldies posed in an attractive way!

Baggs Sat 23-Nov-19 16:24:19

I live my life watching out for ageism.

Maybe that's why you see it, gg ?

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 16:37:09

Joking Baggs. Wasted on here apparently.

willa45 Sat 23-Nov-19 17:05:26

I always assume good faith, so NO....I wouldn't be offended.

More likely you 'old blokes made an artistic, heartwarming impression just standing in the rain. The man in the car thought it was such a great photo opportunity that he called it out.

Alexa Sat 23-Nov-19 17:06:04

"You are old," said the youth, " and your jaws are too weak
For anything tougher than suet;
Yet you finished the goose, with the bones and the back-
Pray, how did you manage to do it?"

"In my youth," said his father, "I took to the law,
And argued each case with my wife;
And the muscular strength, which it gave to my jaw,
Has lasted the rest of my life."

Lewis Carrol

Namsnanny Sat 23-Nov-19 17:44:34

Brilliant Alexa ... don’t think I’ve read that before .... comprehensive school education!

Chewbacca Sat 23-Nov-19 18:22:55

There was no way he would have said that to a group of forty year olds.

How do you know that? confused
Have you seen him regularly pull up at bus stops and specifically call out to waiting passengers who are 60+?

I live my life watching out for ageism

Then I'm sure you'll find it somewhere, at some point of the day but why go around seeking it out? The driver could have been a keen amateur photographer who looks for interesting snapshots of daily life. I'd have smiled and said "You're right, it would". But then I'm not a perpetually offended curmudgeon

Amagran Sat 23-Nov-19 18:34:43

It really depends on how it is said. I would probably not have been very amused by someone calling out from a car window, because it would not have been clear to me what was so remarkable about 3 people sitting in the rain waiting for a bus.

Not a million miles away from wolf-whistling.

I don't really think that anyone but Gonegirl would know whether it was offensive. If it felt offensive, then it was offensive.

Baggs Sat 23-Nov-19 18:45:11

If it felt offensive, then it was offensive.

I don't agree with this. If a person feels offended, certainly they feel offended, but that does not mean that anyone intended to offend them, nor that anyone was offensive.

Just thought I'd chip in with that. It isn't necessarily someone else's fault if I take offence.

Baggs Sat 23-Nov-19 18:45:54

Anyway, it seems gg was kidding on, as is her wont. ?

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 18:52:15

Oh for heaven's sake. I was only kidding about always looking for ageism, although it's true ageism is something I dislike.

The chap was being ageist. You had to be there.

Wish I hadn't started this thread. Thought it might be enjoyable. Or at least fairly lighthearted.

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 18:53:21

You never know how things are are gonna be taken on Gransnet, do you.

Amagran Sat 23-Nov-19 19:21:06

I am quite happy to laugh at myself when I am being stupid in shops, for example looking for my glasses when they are sitting on top of my head. I still maintain that I would not be amused if someone called out of a car window in passing - in that situation I would have been laughed at, not laughed with.

If they had been walking past and there was chance to have a laugh with them, that is a completely different situation.

No one wants to end up being mocked in a sepia-tone photograph on a birthday card with a speech bubble coming out of their mouth. Oops! sweeping generalisation - some on GN might not mind! grin

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 19:25:20

Yep! It's that kind of birthday card I've been thinking of Amagran. I don't like those cards.

GagaJo Sat 23-Nov-19 19:51:03

Baggs, people ARE quite capable of being unintentionally offensive. Doesn't mean they meant to be rude but they are.

Gonegirl Sat 23-Nov-19 20:09:09

I didn't flip him the bird (down on the street aren't I? smile ) I just put two fingers up

Chewbacca Sat 23-Nov-19 20:15:44

I just put two fingers up

hmm