Gransnet forums

AIBU

CIS women

(111 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 24-Nov-19 10:04:18

I've been listening to Jo Swinson being interviewed by Andrew Marr, the subject of trans rights came up. She used the CIS pronoun several times to differentiate between trans women and women per se. Most of the wider public are not aware what CIS means, a friend of mine had to complete a form at work where she was asked to classify herself, several options "CIS" being one of them, she had to seek clarification as she had no idea whether she was one or not confused Why is the word woman not an adequate enough description to the majority of the female population who will remain in the sex they were assigned at birth?

notanan2 Thu 28-Nov-19 18:01:49

Intersex people are NOT trans and many are fighting to have their health and social care SEPARATED from trans issues.

Starblaze Thu 28-Nov-19 18:06:19

No Notanan you are right, they aren't. But the idea that people might be born in the wrong body is just as possible. Everyone has the right to be comfortable in their own skin and accepted for it

notanan2 Thu 28-Nov-19 18:28:06

Even lesbians?

P.s. intersex people are not born in the "wrong body" any more than people with down syndrome is.

Being intersex or any other kind of extra chromosomes has squat to do with "gender feelings" and it harms intersex people and their access to the correct health services for them to conflate the two

notanan2 Thu 28-Nov-19 18:29:50

Trans activists USING intersex people to "prove" that you can change sex or "be the wrong sex" is both factually nonsense and offensive to intersex people

Starblaze Thu 28-Nov-19 18:32:26

Apologies, no offence was intended.

WeekendVisit Thu 28-Nov-19 21:11:59

Devastating and depressing, it feels hopeless at present, the ideology has taken hold now.

Luckygirl Fri 29-Nov-19 10:25:27

I do find it strange that these new terms are appearing when trans people (male to female) are expressing their desire to be women. So - instead of accepting them as such we label non-trans women as Cis; thus alienating those whose strong desire is to be female, and placing them in a separate group.

Nuts!

pinkquartz Fri 29-Nov-19 11:49:27

but we are not labelling non transwomen with the term cis, Luckygirl

The trans-community is doing that.
We do not have to go along with it and I believe Jo Swinson has made a mistake doing so.

Luckygirl Fri 29-Nov-19 20:36:34

I agree.

Gfplux Mon 02-Dec-19 10:00:42

I also had to GOOGLE CIS.
How silly.