Gransnet forums

AIBU

Greta Thunberg : Named Time’s youngest Person of the Year.

(216 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 14:15:49

Well deserved IMO, we need more & more people to get on board with this.

I for one am not as aware & as active as I should be with regard to what I buy & what I throw away , recycle etc ,etc

Listening to her speeches & efforts helps me to remind me that I could to do better.

Callistemon Sat 28-Dec-19 22:14:28

Winniewit

"Vegansk Salat" in a plastic container!
"Limpan" (Swedish bread) in a plastic bag
Another plastic box on edge of picture
A plastic bottle contajning some dangerous? liquid marked !
A non-recycleable cup

Surely not??
Is this a spoof?

Winniewit Sat 28-Dec-19 21:35:35

Is the train photo the one were she is eating lunch from plastic containers?
I don't need some precosious kid telling me how to save the planet its not a new thing after all

micmc47 Thu 26-Dec-19 12:35:04

No problem with Greta, as I think she has the right idea, and I share her frustration with impotent, self-interested politicians. However, I object to the idea that being "eco-friendly" is something new. When I was her age plastic was little used, with glass, reuseable bottles for milk, orange juice and pop. Bottled water? What was that? Our shopping was packed in brown paper bags which we then cut up and used to cover our school books. Blue paper bags for sugar. Very little in the way of electrical devices in the home. Lots of stuff - tea, sugar, flour etc. sold loose. Few cars on the road. Yes, coal fires produced smogs, but we sorted that out. We didn't get everything right, but we did OK.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Dec-19 16:45:17

I think it is rapidly reaching a point whereby anything you read/hear has to be checked more than Santa’s Naughty or Nice list.

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 16:34:34

Is that Piers Morgan and that woman?! shock Stick to the BBC.

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 16:20:29

Accepted ??

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Dec-19 15:14:51

I have been at the gym and then whent straight to my DILs.

I got "the train information" from GMB news this morning, if it is as you have said GMB has got it wrong, and I apologise for my post.

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 14:37:00

Shes’s having a lie down in a darkened room perhaps?

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 14:06:30

You there Grannygravy?

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 13:30:09

Do the right thing GG13 and admit you got it wrong. That’s what Ug did when she was fooled into believing the boy on the floor of A&E was staged.

Respect to her for apologising.

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 13:27:36

Here we go again...no the photo wasn’t ‘staged’. She did get a seat but not for several hours, as the train company now admits. BUT she said she wasn’t upset and in fact it showed how many people were now using the trains.

Why do some people always fall for the worst that social media makes up?

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 11:08:02

But, you said the photo was staged. It wasn't. It was just taken at the beginning of her long journey. confused

I did read your post. I took it exactly how it was written.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Dec-19 10:30:39

elastic you obviously do not read other people's posts?

I said things like this detract from her message, a silly post that has gone viral.

GT has done an excellent job of publicising Climate Change, I said her PR people (and yes she does have them) were at fault!!!!

At no point did I say GT was at fault!

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 10:16:24

She just wanted to show that she was at last on her way home for Xmas. Her tweet was nothing about the fact she was sitting on the floor. Do you really think, after the transport she has been using, sitting on the floor would be any trouble for her? grin

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 10:11:10

Greta Thunberg
@GretaThunberg
Traveling on overcrowded trains through Germany. And I’m finally on my way home!
9:53 PM · Dec 14, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
Retweets
@GretaThunberg
·
20h
Replying to
@GretaThunberg
Our train from Basel was taken out of traffic. So we sat on the floor on 2 different trains. After Göttingen I got a seat.This is no problem of course and I never said it was. Overcrowded trains is a great sign because it means the demand for train travel is high!

Copy of her tweet.

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 10:04:58

No idea. Perhaps she was just glad to be homeward bound at last. (A picture of her in a train seat would be pretty boring)

Any chance to have a go!!!! hmm again

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Dec-19 09:55:30

elastic why did she post the picture of her on the floor, and not one of her sitting in her first class seat?

I am not against GT, but things like this are detracting from her message.......

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 09:54:11

Yawn.

elastic Mon 16-Dec-19 09:53:04

It wasn't staged! And she wasn't complaining. She was glad trains are overcrowded because it show public transport is being used.

She had a seat for about 4 hours of her very long journey. Some of time she sat quite happily on the floor.

hmm

Callistemon Mon 16-Dec-19 09:37:06

Oh dear, she must have the same PR firm as Corbyn, Grannygravy.
Look how Traingate has ended.

All she needs to do is speak the truth as she sees it and not start resorting to daft publicity stunts.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 16-Dec-19 08:57:04

Unfortunately her PR people need to sort themselves out.

GT tweeted a picture of herself on the floor on a German Train surrounded by luggage..........this photo was staged.

The German Rail Company have put out a statement saying that Greta had a seat in first class, in which she spent the journey, verified by the staff who served her and other passengers.

Negative publicity like this will be detrimental to her and deflect from her climate change message.

LullyDully Mon 16-Dec-19 08:34:26

To me Greta T is a catalyst in this inevitable process of coming to terms with the problems the World is in.

We should listen to her,( maybe with a pinch of salt, maybe not), adapt our ways, convince
the people of the planet to do likewise, trust that technological can help us at this late stage and hope for the best.

Oh and hope the USA gets rid of Trump.

rosecarmel Mon 16-Dec-19 07:03:22

Yes, because being elected president is simple, having little to do with influencing election year/s events .. smile

Yehbutnobut Mon 16-Dec-19 06:00:35

Apologies elastic

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 16-Dec-19 04:00:52

The winner of the award features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year" It's all about the impact a person has made.

Hitler was on the cover in 1938, Stalin in 1939 and 1942, and Ayatollah Khomeini in 1979. Trump was on the cover simply because he was elected president. Having said that, these days the choice is made with regard to the potential impact on advertising revenue of any backlash.

Greta is an excellent choice.