Gransnet forums

AIBU

Greta Thunberg : Named Time’s youngest Person of the Year.

(215 Posts)
Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 14:15:49

Well deserved IMO, we need more & more people to get on board with this.

I for one am not as aware & as active as I should be with regard to what I buy & what I throw away , recycle etc ,etc

Listening to her speeches & efforts helps me to remind me that I could to do better.

GagaJo Wed 11-Dec-19 15:06:17

Exactly. I looked at an article about her with my 13 year old class today. Some mocked and I pointed out what GT was achieving, v them titting around in class.

Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 15:23:45

Love it GagaJo , top marks ?

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 15:55:26

Yes. I saw that. It's great. Well deserved.

Ellianne Wed 11-Dec-19 16:01:39

GagaJo so does this mean she is exempt from school and studying now? I can see people viewing it as someone just wanting to jump on a bandwagon and gain celebrity status.

crystaltipps Wed 11-Dec-19 16:17:29

There will always be those who sneer and can’t believe that everyone is as shallow as they are and think no one can be sincere in their concern for the environment.

Fiachna50 Wed 11-Dec-19 16:22:58

Personally I cannot stand her. What is the plan after all the speeches and protests are over.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Dec-19 17:19:17

Very well deserved, imo. If nothing else she's got us all talking about the issues, even those of us who think we're doing our bit, but could do better. She seems very committed and genuine to me.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 17:22:23

What is the plan? Well I should hope it is to get on and get rid of all oil burning stuff. You know - invest in finding ways and means.

hmm

GrannyGravy13 Wed 11-Dec-19 17:26:24

Well hopefully she will return to her studies, maybe get a degree in environmental science/renewable energies or suchlike.

Greta could then help to come up
with a credible plan to help slow down/halt climate change.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 17:31:06

Yes. I hope so.

crazyH Wed 11-Dec-19 17:32:22

I find her rather precocious. There's something about her eyes. Btw, doesn't she attend school?

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 17:33:26

I think many of the XR youngsters intend to do that.

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 17:34:39

Her eyes?! confused

Yes. I wonder about her schooling. She obviously thinks it's worth it.

Bbarb Wed 11-Dec-19 17:43:43

Well said @Fiachna50 and others - the hatred in her eyes is not good for her, she's still a child and needs guidance. This publicity is going to ruin her life if her parents continue to encourage her.

quizqueen Wed 11-Dec-19 18:04:09

Meanwhile, she goes home to Sweden for the festivities and has the central heating/log burner on full blast, probably gets driven round in a huge off roader and finds a new smart phone in her Christmas stocking!

ToniSH Wed 11-Dec-19 18:08:50

Interesting that everyone seems to be so worried about her education.
Plenty of kids take time out, and there's also a thing called home-schooling.
And by the way she speaks to big crowds, press etc and answers questions off the cuff, I'd say she's been quite well educated already.

Yorksherlass Wed 11-Dec-19 18:09:29

@ quizqueen my thoughts exactly .

Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 18:10:33

You can look it up , she comes from a family of environmentalists.

Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 18:20:44

I remember back in the 60s when there were plenty of well of environmental campaigners ,ie posh Hippies, as they were called, doesn’t make them bad folks.
You could take the view that despite there economic advantages they choose to campaign for others instead of just living a good life with out a care for any one else.
We should give credit where credit is due .

CanadianGran Wed 11-Dec-19 18:25:51

I think this is well deserved. She is passionate about the environment and has really started a movement among young people.

TLWOOLY1 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:26:14

She comes from a background of actors and other performers, actually. I don’t need a child actor to tell me how to save the environment, I’ve been doing what I can for the environment for the last 40 years and why would the worst offenders listen to a precocious child?!

TLWOOLY1 Wed 11-Dec-19 18:29:46

Also, Greta (or Greta’s parents!) know a lot about ‘creative PR’!

Bridgeit Wed 11-Dec-19 18:30:49

What do you mean - You don’t need a child actor to tell you -
Why would you not be pleased that another generation is supporting an issue close to your own heart.?

Gonegirl Wed 11-Dec-19 19:23:19

I would think, her home being in Sweden, it would be very environmentally friendly. Haven't those Nordic countries adapted a lot to the cold winters?