Gransnet forums

AIBU

Small things that annoy me.

(186 Posts)
NanKate Fri 27-Dec-19 20:51:12

Gregory Porter’s daft hat, he does have a good voice though.

Shop assistants who say ‘See you later’ when you are a complete stranger to them.

Esspee Sat 28-Dec-19 08:50:23

Oh yes, while I’m on a rant....people who say DefinATEly instead of DEFinitely. No doubt they spell it wrongly too. <skulks away to pedant’s corner>

ninathenana Sat 28-Dec-19 08:50:49

Fur babies ......just nauseating
Drivers who don't acknowledge you waited and those who don't know what indicators are.
People who don't say thank you when you hold the door open.
Adds in the middle of FB videos.

Probably more if I think about it.

Esspee Sat 28-Dec-19 08:53:01

Being the only one who knows how to change a toilet roll in this house.

Daddima Sat 28-Dec-19 08:53:30

Oh, where do I start?
Bags on the seat on buses and trains.
Facebook posts like, ‘ Share if you’re against child abuse’ ( No thanks, I think it’s great), ‘ Share to raise awareness of breast cancer’ ( Breast cancer? Never heard of it), or the ‘ Happy Heavenly Birthday to Granny’ and the ‘inspirational’ quotes, and many more.
Dogs & cats being called furbabies ( as said before)
Husbands being called hubby.

I used to chastise my father for being intolerant of trivial things. I am turning into him.

NannyDa Sat 28-Dec-19 08:54:48

Using Mom instead of Mum.

sodapop Sat 28-Dec-19 08:56:50

I love to hear Gregory Porter as well.

I agree with Calendargirl about the washing up water, I can't bear it if people don't change the water or rinse the crockery.
People who carry their dogs around and treat them like babies
My husband talking in double negatives, really grates
Like BlueBelle I dislike the mini dramas which are related in great detail " it was Wednesday, no it was Tuesday because ....." I don't care !!

Esspee Sat 28-Dec-19 08:57:04

People who talk to dogs about their “mummy” or “daddy” when they mean owner.
A bit worrying that I can think of loads more.....really need to get my day (in real life) started and get off the internet. Have a lovely day everyone.

grannypiper Sat 28-Dec-19 09:01:05

Esspee Dogs don't have owners they have servants grin

Witzend Sat 28-Dec-19 09:05:43

Checkout staff saying ‘Thank you for waiting,’ when I didn’t exactly have any choice, unless I wanted to leave my shopping and walk out.
‘Sorry to keep you waiting’ would be more appropriate! But presumably that’s seen as ‘negative’ by the retail-psychologists.

I’m not blaming the staff at all, I know they’re told to do it, but I wish management would realise how irritating it is.

Something else I’ve just heard on the radio - Brits saying ‘airplane’ instead of aeroplane, or just plane.

Juliet27 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:09:52

People telling you to ‘take care’ when they couldn’t care less what happens to you.
My husband pouring the dregs of his coffee in the sink and not washing them away. It stains.

Juliet27 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:14:51

People who pronounce mischievous as mischievIous and asked as aksed

Hetty58 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:17:16

Old fusspots get on my nerves!

morethan2 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:18:10

I don’t like those chain email either. I no idea why people send them to me I’ve never passed one on.
Women who tell me “ oh I can’t drive all that way Alan/ husband/partner wouldn’t let me. Is it an excuse because you don’t want to/anxious about it. If so that’s fine. If he’s a controlling bully ignore him and come or at the very least tell me.
People on mobile phones when they should be concentrating on what their doing. What do they find to talk about all day long?
My glass coffee table it always full of sticky handprint cup stains even if it’s not the dust settles on it within minutes of being cleaned.
Snoring, it one of the few things my husband does that annoys me along with faffing about when we need to get going.
stop now I’m getting carried away and could be here all day.

sunseeker Sat 28-Dec-19 09:28:22

I agree about the "hubby" thing - too twee for words!

I thought I was the only one who hated the "fur babies" thing. Yes you love them but they are animals not children! I recall many years ago taking my , dearly loved, cat to the vet for treatment. The vet said something along the lines of "Mummy can hold you" I gave him what my husband used to call my death stare and muttered through gritted teeth that I was not the cat's mother

SalsaQueen Sat 28-Dec-19 09:32:16

There are so many things that irritate me.......

"You guys"
High-five-ing.
using the word AWESOME for really quite normal or mundane things.
Shop assistants (or anyone else) saying "enjoy the rest of your day"
People who don't use a knife and fork properly (often no knife at all, and I have to include my own GC in this)

GrannyLaine Sat 28-Dec-19 09:33:38

Quite a lot of the above......

People (other than my husband, who has been trained) WHO TRY TO LOAD MY DISHWASHER.

And the snoring is in the 'big things' category IMO. It could possibly incite me to kill its very annoying

Joelsnan Sat 28-Dec-19 09:34:54

Ooooh pronunciation

Sick instead of sixth

Juliet27 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:37:26

Ooh and ‘stunning’ for items that are anything but!

Hetty58 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:38:50

Irritable old fuddy duddies!

Sarahmob Sat 28-Dec-19 09:45:19

I hate being called a ‘guy’ by anybody (usually waiters and waitresses)

TerriBull Sat 28-Dec-19 09:52:05

Spatial awareness, or lack of it. People who walk along glued to their phone - Other people are walking towards you, look up please, don't put the onus on others to dodge you.

People who think notices don't apply to them, such as "please remove all your items" changing cublice at gym/health club, thinking they can save it for when they've finished whatever, they deserve all their stuff getting dumped on a bench. Lockers are there for a reason!

Again at the gym people who use their phones on treadmill so one is forced to listen to conversation, people who think they can reserve a piece of equipment because they've put a water bottle on it, but have walked away from said equipment and then jump at you if you have the cheek to try and use it,having not seen the water bottle, with a "I'm on that" confused when clearly they aren't.

People who set up their office on trains using adjacent seat for stuff and then go into a major hurrumphing session if you ask to sit down in that space. Do they buy two tickets? I think not hmm

People who park unncessarily close to car in carkparks with designated spaces. On a couple of occasions couldn't open my door and had to access it from passenger side, climbing over gears etc to get to driver seat, not that easy anymore shock

Mothers with pushchairs who don't acknowledge with a thanks if you hold the door open for them. I was grateful when I had mine in a pushchair and someone did that for me, the world's a nicer place with manners. Most do, but I remember holding the door for one young mother and she waltzed passed me without a smile, "thank you is the word you are searching for" said I, "I don't have to thank you" she replied "I don't have to hold the door open for you" I responded sad

Litter droppers or on a larger scale dumping really big items.

TerriBull Sat 28-Dec-19 09:57:01

I'm going to add another one, kids on scooters in supermarkets or shops, not really the place, what's wrong with the park hmm

Esspee Sat 28-Dec-19 09:57:53

@grannypiper I thought that was cats! I stand correctedgrin.

Luckygirl Sat 28-Dec-19 10:12:43

Sticky labels on new plastic items (e.g. washing up bowls) that are impossible to get off.

Dogs/cats loose in cars. Do the drivers have no imagination whatsoever?!

shysal Sat 28-Dec-19 10:35:36

Mischev i ous marshm e llows!