Gransnet forums

AIBU

Small things that annoy me.

(186 Posts)
NanKate Fri 27-Dec-19 20:51:12

Gregory Porter’s daft hat, he does have a good voice though.

Shop assistants who say ‘See you later’ when you are a complete stranger to them.

Nortsat46 Sat 28-Dec-19 11:29:20

- fur baby
- hubby
- cuppa
- biccie.

Sunseeker I am still laughing at the thought of your vet getting your ‘death stare’.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Dec-19 11:33:31

Another few...

People who put the loo roll on the wrong way - the end sheet should hang over the roll. I have been known to correct this is in other people’s homes. Sorry not sorry.

The leaves on my lawn. Yes I know trees shed their leaves and yes I knew this when we bought a house backing onto woodland but I hate hate hate raking them up every year.

People who have literally no opinions on anything. How can you go through life being so disinterested or lacklustre?

My boss.

Yehbutnobut Sat 28-Dec-19 11:59:34

People who have the time to stress about small ‘things’ and start threads about them.

Save your angst for ‘things’ that really matter.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Dec-19 12:03:13

People who post on threads when they have absolutely no point to make other than to sneer at the person who started it and those who are participating in it and causing no harm to anyone whatsoever. Just why??

jannxxx Sat 28-Dec-19 12:06:15

people who slurp tea loudly
them texting while your talking to someone
people who are late.
no manners
LOUD people
and finally people who have been there and done that long before i ever did,........not

Yehbutnobut Sat 28-Dec-19 12:06:42

Because I’ve just been catching up on a thread where a new grandmother is distraught about a life-limiting condition in her new grandchild that attracted barely any sympathy. Yet grumping little threads like this....

SirChenjin Sat 28-Dec-19 12:12:26

Then perhaps this thread is not for you while you’re feeling like that Yeh? I mean that kindly, I really do. We can all have really rubbish things going on in our lives and we can recognise that there are horrible things going on in the wider world whilst posting on a thread which allows us to offload about the minor things which bug us - it doesn’t make us bad people.

Juliet27 Sat 28-Dec-19 12:21:16

Yeh I hope you were pleased with all the help and recommendations you were given when you asked for advice re hip replacements. Understandable if it's the arthritic pain that is making you seem so grumpy today.

Witzend Sat 28-Dec-19 12:49:15

So many things that aren’t, being called ‘amazing’.

Having aliens land in my back garden, or winning the £1m jackpot on the Ernies would be amazing.
Or perhaps my dh announcing that henceforth he was going to do all the cooking in this house. (Not that I’d be over the moon - current arrangement is that he does all the clearing up.)

Pedant hat on, so many people who’d never have done it not so long ago, dropping their t’s all over the place. Do they think it makes them sound cool, or more ‘edgy’, or wot?

DanniRae Sat 28-Dec-19 12:52:36

On Gransnet:
People who come on a thread which is discussing how great a tv programme/film/book is just to say they dislike it and can't believe people would enjoy it. Please know that we don't care what your opinion is!!
When there is a thread about "What we have had for lunch/dinner" posters never admitting that they had a cheese sandwich or sausage and mash. It's always organic polenta and thin slivers of marinated aubergine or suchlike. Come off it please!!
When there is a jolly, lighthearted thread and everyone is thoroughly enjoying it and someone has to come on and tell us off for being shallow when there are so many heartbreaking things going on in the world. We know all about that, thank you, but surely we can have a few moments of fun without someone throwing cold water over the thread?

TerriBull Sat 28-Dec-19 13:09:35

Yes I agree with the argument, "if it's not for you, don't join in" Quite a while ago, someone came on the Genealogy thread, with the comment "can't understand why anyone's interested in this" fair enough, not for everyone, but when I started doing family history I found some strands of my family history I uncovered among the most exciting discoveries of my life. Sewing and similar activities don't interest me at all, but I certainly wouldn't go on to a thread on the subject and say that. We are all different.

Also some threads are just to have a chat, lighthearted and myabe to introduce a bit of levity, or to have a moan, maybe to take some posters minds off serious worries they may be experiencing.

lavenderzen Sat 28-Dec-19 13:24:36

Yeh how can you say that - there are replies to the lady, I didn't see it 'til quite late on and I suspect others didn't either. Why do you say such things. There isn't a more understanding and sympathetic place than GN.

Esspee Sat 28-Dec-19 13:26:52

@SirChenjin re: leaves on the lawn. Do buy a leaf vacuum, it truly makes the job fun as the leaves are sucked up and shredded making the basis of glorious leaf mould.
I happily removed all the leaves from everyone’s garden within electrical extension distance a couple of months ago earning me their gratitude and a mountain of (eventually) lovely leaf mould.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Dec-19 13:38:00

We have a leaf hoover but I find it really heavy and bulky to use (the joys of being five foot one). I’ll rake up what I can and then DH can go at itwith the leaf hoover blower thing.

What I really need is a gardener!

boodymum67 Sat 28-Dec-19 13:43:36

change channels then

Yehbutnobut Sat 28-Dec-19 14:38:37

Juliet I was and that was why I was upset that someone who is suffering even more was not afforded the same level of support. I understand that little things upset some people but others don’t sweat the little things.

Yehbutnobut Sat 28-Dec-19 14:45:11

Lavender you indeed were one of the few who offered support.

Juliet27 Sat 28-Dec-19 14:52:46

But there are so many discussions on so many subjects that it can't be expected that everyone sees and contributes to all. I haven't seen the one that has upset you and if I had, no doubt I would have offered sympathy.

Charleygirl5 Sat 28-Dec-19 15:02:44

Hearing men address their wife as "the wife"- she obviously does not possess a name.

Being addressed as madam- I do not run a brothel.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Dec-19 15:24:11

Oh dear espee I have always said assume as ashume but I do say definitely your way I m guilty of ‘guys’ too and snoring oh dear a lot of people going to not like me much
However hate hubby or missus and I hate being accosted in the street by chuggers I can’t stand people starting a sentence with ‘so’ and all the people who call me a snowflake that’s such a complement individual, beautiful, soft and light

quizqueen Sat 28-Dec-19 15:40:39

Poor spellings and grammar-especially from work colleagues, even though they have been corrected multiple times - and I work in education!

SirChenjin Sat 28-Dec-19 15:51:02

Ooh, another one - politicians (of all varieties) who start their sentences with “look”. It’s so patronising.

QuaintIrene Sat 28-Dec-19 15:59:40

It’s been said before, but people who carry tiny dogs everywhere. Like a kind of living handbag. I don’t understand it.
Folks who gaily announce that they are “a bit “ OCD. Just go away.
Youngsters who speak in a strange kind of patois. Yo bro sick innit ? the types who have never been further than Lockwood Bar to Fartown.
Those incredibly long, pointed talon false nails. How can they er ..wipe their nether regions without risk of injury ?
People who chose pies, sausage rolls, vol au vents etc at a buffet and then pick all the pastry off.

And breathe !

kathsue Sat 28-Dec-19 16:12:24

Letters/forms from school/college to me about my GS.

1. Start off with Dear Parent/Carer (that's fine) then refer to my son/daughter (No he's not).

2. Use gender neutral pronouns but aren't even consistent, i.e. their work but he is interested...

3. General misspellings and grammar mistakes.

ladymuck Sat 28-Dec-19 16:17:42

People who phone you after 10pm. For me, that's a cut-off point for phone calls.