Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry but had to post this!

(98 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 30-Dec-19 17:53:11

Hot cross buns making me well, cross and hot ( under the collar!) grin

Charleygirl5 Mon 30-Dec-19 22:41:39

Thank goodness I am not a lover of hot cross buns.

Callistemon Mon 30-Dec-19 23:15:01

I hope DH doesn't bring any home, they're banned in our house until Good Friday.

Oopsminty Mon 30-Dec-19 23:19:09

I must say I do like a Hot Cross Bun

M&S do some lovely ones with apple and sultanas

'Tainted!" my father would exclaim

But they have to be eaten at Easter.

But like you, Callistemon, if my husband sees any they'll be in the trolley

Callistemon Mon 30-Dec-19 23:55:11

He can have a Chelsea Bun, a Bath bun, any sticky bun but he can't have a Hot Cross bun until Good Friday.

I am so mean grin

Namsnanny Tue 31-Dec-19 01:34:34

Notspaghetti … They sound delish, you will post the recipe for them closer to the time wont you? grin

LullyDully Tue 31-Dec-19 08:38:19

Used to get crumpets only as the nights closed in when I was little but all the bakers baked for themselves. I suppose the machines make hot cross guns so have to keep going.Does loose the point somewhat but that's modern life for us.

lemongrove Tue 31-Dec-19 11:31:44

I think Callistemon has put a curse on this thread.....so that it’s really hard to type ‘hot cross something’, how else to explain the
Joy cross buns, hit cross buns and now hot cross guns!?
Off now for a coffee and early hot cross bum.
De-licious.

lemongrove Tue 31-Dec-19 11:32:48

Callistemon ! Stop it! angry

ladymuck Tue 31-Dec-19 11:34:33

I buy hot cross buns frequently, they are available all year.

Callistemon Tue 31-Dec-19 11:39:38

Sorry blush

No doubt it will find a packet or two in the bread bin way before Easter.
Part of DH's diet.

lemongrove Tue 31-Dec-19 11:46:06

I would enjoy that kind of diet....should I have two with my coffee?

jane1956 Tue 31-Dec-19 17:30:01

it's retail, they work a season ahead. People will still ask on the last day for something that has been on sale for 4 months!

Namsnanny Mon 06-Jan-20 02:29:42

No no no no no, not coffee lemongrove Hot Cross Buns must be eaten with a cup of tea. Or if you must, a glass of milk, but never coffee!!! smile

LullyDully Mon 06-Jan-20 08:20:23

In our Waitrose is a display box which clearly says Easter and we haven't even had Valentine's Day yet.!!!!! Let alone Mother's Day or my birthday.

EllanVannin Mon 06-Jan-20 09:43:33

I haven't tasted a decent one yet ! They're either " doughy " or completely tasteless.

Americanpie Mon 06-Jan-20 10:20:26

Our local Co-Op has all its Easter stock out and its marked as seasonal! Valentines cards as well. Madness and its simply aimed at getting us to part with our money.

sarahcyn Mon 06-Jan-20 10:21:10

If you feel like being really annoying (and who doesn’t now and again) you could ask the checkout person what the cross means...
If they know (unlikely) you could say “so, you are selling baked goods with a barbaric form of execution by torture represented on them.”

grannyscott Mon 06-Jan-20 10:30:02

I buy them all year round.

icanhandthemback Mon 06-Jan-20 10:30:08

You haven't lived until you've eaten the Salted Caramel Hot Cross Buns. They are absolutely yummy.
I think it is rather sad that we have seasonal stuff all year round and so many goods from around the world that it makes travelling abroad less of a novelty. One of my favourite things to do when we were travelling was to visit the supermarket and see all the different foods. Nowadays most of the stuff is on our supermarket shelves. Fortunately, the French Bread and Croissants you buy in France can't be beaten so there's still a 'wow' moment to be had.

annodomini Mon 06-Jan-20 10:32:42

I know a small bakery where they don't sell hot cross buns until holy week and they are the best I have ever tasted. I struggle to get them as they sell out so quickly, but they are worth the effort. Oh no, I'm not telling you where they are!

jaylucy Mon 06-Jan-20 10:33:27

I noticed that Asda have been selling them all year round - not always commercial packages, but one baked in the in house bakery

lynneg Mon 06-Jan-20 10:34:17

Just to change the subject briefly, but just noticed the date of the posts is one week out! Computer hung over perhaps ?

lynneg Mon 06-Jan-20 10:35:21

Good grief it’s just righted itself!

Theoddbird Mon 06-Jan-20 10:43:45

I saw them in Sainsbury's last week... Anyone seen Easter Eggs yet?

Worthingpatchworker Mon 06-Jan-20 10:51:39

The only way to stop shops selling out is season is for everyone to stop buying the stuff.