Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry but had to post this!

(98 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 30-Dec-19 17:53:11

Hot cross buns making me well, cross and hot ( under the collar!) grin

westendgirl Mon 06-Jan-20 10:52:09

~I saw Easter chocolate things in Marks and Spencers the other day and actually complained.I did mention that Christmas was not over.
I suppose the shops think they have to get in first,but what if we didn't buy Easter eggs until ,say a fortnight before Easter?Perhaps it would make a difference if enough of us did it.

Pudding123 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:03:49

Really,If Hot cross buns being sold prior to Easter is making you complain with all the horrible things going on in the world I think you need to have a word with yourself .

rowanflower0 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:04:30

Sorry Grammaretto, I can see why strawberries in December makes you cross - tasteless when eaten out of season, anyway! But what is wrong with fish on Mondays? Or any day of the week?

Barmeyoldbat Mon 06-Jan-20 11:05:11

Easter Eggs in Waitrose yesterday.

Nanny27 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:10:09

I grew up in St Albans, the birthplace of the hot cross bun. The local bakers would bake them throughout the night leading into Good Friday then queues would form outside for the warm, delicious freshly baked buns. Once they were all sold the buns wouldnt be baked again for another year.

grannydarkhair Mon 06-Jan-20 11:15:29

lemongrove - did you enjoy your hot cross bum? ? surprised no-one else noticed this.

Craftycat Mon 06-Jan-20 11:24:31

Yes- Easter eggs in Sainsbury's on Boxing day apparently.
We also get Hot Cross Buns all year. Not as good as home made anyway!!

Camelotclub Mon 06-Jan-20 11:26:47

My local village shop has Cadbury Creme Eggs on the counter.

Shandy3 Mon 06-Jan-20 12:01:30

What about all the vegetables and fruit in the shops 365 days of the year when they are out of season? This is now the norm!

Tillybelle Mon 06-Jan-20 12:02:55

No Namsnanny YANBU! After Christmas and before New Year my SIL went to the Corner Shop for some Mince Pies. They had been replaced. By Easter Eggs.

Rufus2 Mon 06-Jan-20 12:37:21

you need to have a word with yourself
Pudding Well said and I can supply more than "a word"!
I'm absolutely disgusted at how people can be so selfish and small minded considering how much suffering and trauma is being shown daily on TV
Particularly "Down Under" where many people have lost everything; complete homes, contents, treasured memories, pets, livestock, livelihoods.
Unfortunately the list goes on and on; fortunately human losses have been very few so far thanks to the excellent efforts of our volunteer emergency services, professional fire services and now armed forces.
I won't apologise for having intruded on your "gentle" thread ; continue eating your hot-cross buns, whether with a cup of coffee or tea, but please stop chewing now and again to think of others who've lost everything! sad
OoRoo

EthelJ Mon 06-Jan-20 12:52:31

Hot cross buns have never gone away. They are now on sale all year round. I agree they should only be on sale Easter time. When I was a child we only had them on Good Friday, but times change

Mollygo Mon 06-Jan-20 12:55:17

I love the fact that you can get hot cross buns almost all year round, though I’d be just as happy if they didn’t need a cross. The local ASDA makes the best ones, but I bought some very tasty ones from Sainsbury's this week.

grannylyn65 Mon 06-Jan-20 13:09:01

No you didn’t ‘have to post it’

Nanny27 Mon 06-Jan-20 13:24:03

I feel quite insulted to be accused of having no care for the tragic events taken by NG place in Australia. Just because we choose to have a lighthearted discussion about something else doesn't make me 'selfish and small minded' how dare you be so judgemental! rufus2

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 13:24:48

Really,If Hot cross buns being sold prior to Easter is making you complain with all the horrible things going on in the world I think you need to have a word with yourself .

Pudding if you look at other threads you will see that Gransnetters are extremely concerned about world events. Talking about Hot Cross buns in January is just a light-hearted diversion from all the angst that we may feel.

I'm absolutely disgusted at how people can be so selfish and small minded considering how much suffering and trauma is being shown daily on TV Particularly "Down Under" here many people have lost everything; complete homes, contents, treasured memories, pets, livestock, livelihoods.

Rufus Yes, we know, and we are extremely concerned and there are about three threads running on that. This is just a lighthearted thread.

Many of us have family and friends Down Under and are in daily contact with them receiving updates; it's on our news daily and we are all thinking of you. My grandson has just offered his Christmas money to the emergency fund.
I hope you are not affected.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 13:26:15

I will excuse Rufus for his post because he is obviously very worried indeed.
In fact, so many of us are but there are other threads about the fires, about Iran, about the B word.

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 13:37:57

I'm absolutely disgusted at how people can be so selfish and small minded considering how much suffering and trauma is being shown daily on TV Particularly "Down Under" here many people have lost everything; complete homes, contents, treasured memories, pets, livestock, livelihoods.

Rufus May I just add that I have seen you start very light-hearted threads which have been fun and enjoyable - yet all that time many of us have been very aware of the suffering and trauma in Syria, children killed and maimed, starving in Yemen, in Venezuala and other places in the world, shown daily on our news.

None of the lighthearted threads lessen how sorry we feel for anyone who is suffering.

Nanny41 Mon 06-Jan-20 13:41:09

Creme eggs are my favourite, can eat them all year round when available,I am longing to come to the UK in a few weeks and stock up on them.
Hot Cross Buns I will leave until Easter.

Shazmo24 Mon 06-Jan-20 13:54:35

They make amazing bread & butter puddings

Aepgirl Mon 06-Jan-20 14:07:53

Yes, ellakeat, my point exactly. Hot Cross Buns are simply well-spiced buns with a cross on top!

DillytheGardener Mon 06-Jan-20 14:13:08

This is going will be a serious dent in my NY promise to myself to lose some weight shock

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 14:18:49

a hot bun without a cross?

Fewer calories DillytheGardener

Hetty58 Mon 06-Jan-20 14:18:54

It's all bonkers - but we don't have to buy them!

Callistemon Mon 06-Jan-20 14:21:44

We've still got mince pies, Christmas cake, chocolates, shortbread etc to finish

I can't even look at a bun.