Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bloody football!

(90 Posts)
phoenix Mon 06-Jan-20 19:57:15

Evening all,

Just come through to the sitting room after supper, and find that from 7.30 until 10.00 BBC 1 are showing bloody football!

That's not what I pay my licence fee for. Fortunately Mr P isn't a football fan, so it won't be on here.

The rest of the BBC offerings for this evening aren't exactly inspiring either.........

Suppose I'd better get the tin helmet out and duck behind the sofa, and wait for those who are pro the game to start saying that there isn't enough football on tv etc.

SillyNanny321 Tue 07-Jan-20 11:27:08

Read books instead!

paperbackbutterfly Tue 07-Jan-20 11:27:31

Very fed up of football. Three home matches over Christmas, loads on TV too. Can't wait for the season to end.

Craftycat Tue 07-Jan-20 11:28:14

I loathe football- don't mind cricket but love rugby union! However we get a few rugby games on the sports channels at weekends & that is all. As our team has moved halfway up the country we can no longer get to games so rely on TV.
Surely there could be a dedicated football channel that the boys can watch in peace in another room while we watch our dramas etc.
MY DH & I only watch a few things together as he likes American programmes & I do NOT so we goes into his study & I take over the sitting room with the cats- works a treat! He very rarely watches football though.

Oopsminty Tue 07-Jan-20 11:29:22

Can't wait for the season to end.

Won't make much difference really

Euro 2020 starts in June

moggie57 Tue 07-Jan-20 11:30:31

be like me dont have a tv .plenty of dvds to watch. radio to listen to.and no tv licence to pay ,this is by choice and couldnt afford to pay it anyway.. i havent seen a soap since em ...i dont know .last one was eastenders i think.10 years plus.havent had a tv for 3 years now ,only thing i miss are the usa crime shows .but my brother puts them on dvd for me to watch.

Billybob4491 Tue 07-Jan-20 11:32:54

Life would be unbearable without football.

Lancslass1 Tue 07-Jan-20 11:47:35

Were it not for sport we would get rid of our TV set.
I listen to the radio more than I watch TV .
We say we never watch during the day but when the cricket comes from South Africa and it is cold outside we do watch it then and of course if there is football on during the day we do the same.

Lancslass1 Tue 07-Jan-20 11:52:01

Thank you ,Pearlsaminger for letting us have Adrian.
He has been a fine buy.
He played so well on Sunday and deputised brilliantly when Allyson was injured.

Emelle Tue 07-Jan-20 12:42:24

I enjoy Football - live football that is and watching home and away is one of the pleasures (most of the time) in my life but I loathe the way it has been taken over by TV.
It is ruining the game I grew up with and don't mention VAR!

JeannieB44 Tue 07-Jan-20 12:47:48

Not a football fan but rather that than Eastenders, should be banned over Christmas too.

ninathenana Tue 07-Jan-20 12:47:53

Our family are all Arsenal fans but fortunately DH couldn't bear to watch given their recent performances.
We too watched the quiz fest on BBC2 then good old Midsummer Murders.

Nanny41 Tue 07-Jan-20 13:05:42

I loathe all sport I may peep at Wimbledon at the time.Too much sport altogether on tv give me a good documentary of Call the Midwife type of programme, not to mention Emmerdale! I am a simple soul.

purplepatch Tue 07-Jan-20 13:07:47

I love all sport except boxing and football.

Having lost my DH a year ago, recording sport to watch later has been an absolutely lifeline for me on dark, lonely evenings.

Susieq62 Tue 07-Jan-20 13:29:09

Other half is a Spurs fan even tough we live in Yorkshire!! They are on TV every week so he goes to the pub to watch as we don’t have Sky etc. It splits up Sundays/ Saturdays due to timings so I feel your pain.
I am a retired PE teacher but I loathe football and al, it represents. I watched Gareth Malone plus 24 Hours in Police Custody, both excellent.
Always something on another channel to watch tbh.

Maggiemaybe Tue 07-Jan-20 13:40:44

With all the channels we have now, even without Sky, Netflix, etc, and the many ways we can record, download, cast what we want when we want, I don’t see what the issue is. I only watch sport when the Olympics are on, but others watching something I don’t doesn’t affect me, apart from when it’s DH. And if he can put up with my viewing habits, I can certainly put up with his football.

As a Corrie fan, I know that many more hours are given over to soaps than to sport, and I for one think there are way too many episodes per week now.

What’s normally on BBC1 at 8 o’clock on a Monday?

sarahellenwhitney Tue 07-Jan-20 13:50:03

I am not a sports fan neither was late DH.We would however make exception to when England got as far as the world cup finals.With so many channels I am never at a loss for what to watch and there are always my recordings.

Phloembundle Tue 07-Jan-20 13:58:57

TV is crap. I use Netflix as there is so much good stuff. BBC iplayer and sounds also have interesting progs.

blondenana Tue 07-Jan-20 15:11:49

I hate football and not happy at missing Eastenders, and it's not even repeated like it used to be
There was an hour of Coronation Street, so i bet football will be in ITV on wednesday
I don't watch a lot on BBC1 but i also think it could be on a separate sports channel

Chardy Tue 07-Jan-20 15:41:17

About 20 years ago I realised how watching the 2 main soaps dominated my evenings, so like any other addiction, I went cold turkey and gave it all up.
DD and I do a bit of craft while watching a lot of sport, predominantly on Sky (there isn't a lot of football on BBC, just a share of the FA Cup and a couple of odd matches, unless there's tournament on). In fact we watch little of the rest of TV, except quizzes and the odd exceptional drama. This week's cricket has been brilliant.

Grandma70s Tue 07-Jan-20 15:49:39

I am baffled by football. How on earth can anyone get so worked up about who manages to kick a ball into a net? It’s hardly an achievement.

Luckily the only person in our family who gives a hoot is ten years old, and doesn’t live with me.

Foxyferret Tue 07-Jan-20 16:19:23

I am fed up of all the soaps which dominate the channels most evenings. Never watch a soap and don’t want to, think how many hours they take up per week. As soon as a soap makes way for a sporting event, people go mad and get annoyed but how often does this happen? Not so many times and for me, it’s a nice change from all the soaps. I also love Wimbledon and am glued to it for 2 weeks.

Pearlsaminger Tue 07-Jan-20 16:31:56

You’re welcome. Though I’d have Adrián back in a heartbeat haha grin

Can only wish the best for him - which is what he deserves.

We’re playing Liverpool in a couple of weeks - that one will be interesting. ?

Hoping to burst your bubble with a few claret and blue ones of our own. Hope it’s on TV too ?

For the people who hate the football in the evenings - don’t blame the game, blame the TV channels. I‘D rather not go out on a cold Friday night to see my team - I’d rather watch them on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm.

But when the TV companies are paying £1m+ to show the games at certain times of course the clubs will alter them. Who’d pass up a million plus for a few hours of the build up chat, the game itself and the after comments? All the teams do it. The leagues are not run by the FA now but by Sky, BT Sports, BBC, ITV and now Amazon.

TwiceAsNice Tue 07-Jan-20 16:43:31

Hate football. Will be glued to the Rugby though. You can’t be Welsh and not like Rugby. Welsh are the best of course!?

Greciangirl Tue 07-Jan-20 16:47:59

Thank goodness for On Demand T.V, Netflix, Catchup T.V,
Films, documentaries.
I fear I would go mad if football dominated the telly.
Fortunately, I can and do resort to the above channels when needed.
Hate football with a vengeance.

Saggi Tue 07-Jan-20 16:50:48

Watford fan here Charlie 2753.... so I’m ‘off’ it a bit at moment. Hubby supports Spurs so spends every minute of day shouting at ( on screen) or about,Mr. Mourinho..... to anyone who’ll listen. I like footie, but have to admit it’s all a bit overload.